Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 30-05-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Yeah! That's the sort of thing I meant! lol

Your BMI is very acceptable, you are a healthy weight - what sort of weight do you want to gain?

Full size family cakes will line your arteries well, but if you have a fast metabolism it's unlikely to help you gain weight. You'd perhaps be better off trying to build up a little bit by eating a protein-rich diet? Have you always been a slim build or lost weight recently?

Old 30-05-2011

[QUOTE=Mrs oOple;508203]Yeah! That's the sort of thing I meant! lol

Your BMI is very acceptable, you are a healthy weight - what sort of weight do you want to gain?

Full size family cakes will line your arteries well, but if you have a fast metabolism it's unlikely to help you gain weight. You'd perhaps be better off trying to build up a little bit by eating a protein-rich diet? Have you always been a slim build or lost weight recently?[/QUOTE

no matter what i eat, i cant seem to put weight on, fair does, i have put nearly stone on over the last year, i would be happy with 13stone i am toned all over, but im wanting my chest bigger, which i no i have to lose the belly before my chest will start to turn into fat before i can turn it into muscular which is't a problem.
i have always been slim but i have always been active, i the riding bikes kiteboarding or snowboarding, now i like to walk can be up to 15miles a day. dam.. i must be getting old lol

Old 26-06-2011

Default Spot the Difference

Spot the Diff.. Cheers Tony and Dean !

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 26-06-2011

Old 26-06-2011

Hi

Well here go's

If you know me or been to any of the Maritime meeting you will have seen I am a bit of a big guy.

Not no more

I was 20 stone 3rd January 2011

to date i have lost 4 stone down to 16 stone with just 1 more stone to lose

to get to this weight i lowered my food in take

and worked out 30 mins a day plus run to work and home

All can lose the weight with just a bit of hard work, here's to losing the next stone

Thank you for reading

Ian Knight

Maritime Racing Off Road Wars 4 Winter Championship 2015/16
Book In HERE

Maritime Racing Facebook Page
HERE

Maritime Racing Live TV
HERE
Old 26-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Hi

Well here go's

If you know me or been to any of the Maritime meeting you will have seen I am a bit of a big guy.

Not no more

I was 20 stone 3rd January 2011

to date i have lost 4 stone down to 16 stone with just 1 more stone to lose

to get to this weight i lowered my food in take

and worked out 30 mins a day plus run to work and home

All can lose the weight with just a bit of hard work, here's to losing the next stone

Thank you for reading

Ian Knight
All so true.....all it takes is belief and willpower.... Well done that man...... I have a couple more to go... 18stones and ill be happy....already fit as a fiddle....

Old 27-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Must admit i've slipped a bit But got a new bike coming next week So back to it and hopefully do it this time
Old 16-07-2011

A small jedi master once said something that for me rings true for most things in life especially loosing weight and getting fit..

" DO..OR DO NOT....THERE IS NO TRY "

Old 17-07-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Bondy, you are a star and an inspiration Looking great - keep up the good work and spurring on all these other guys
Well done to everyone else joining the healthy weight team.

Old 17-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Although I'm reasonably healthy I still have a bit of a belly so I've started doing small weights and I'm going to get myself a newbike hopefully next weekend to start work on my cardio
Old 17-07-2011

Send a message via MSN to Jamesd

I thought I would add my bit to this section of the forum.

I am 20 and left after my first year of University.

I have all ways been a larger person. I want a job working in Motorsport which requires you being fit and being on your feet all the day.

My local DW fitness had a 6 week offer for £40 so I signed up for that.

I have been going to the gym for just over a week. I go most days, I do between 30mins to an hour a day.

My starting weight at the gym is just over 18st. With 37.7% of my body as fat and my idea weight is between 9st and 12st so I get 6st to loose.

I have also started to keep a food log which has helped me cut out the stuff I don’t need to eat. I normal eat when i am bored.

Thanks
James
Old 18-07-2011

Loosing weight through diet's are just fads and shouldn't be your main goal, changing your lifestyle through diet and exercise to be more healthy and improve the quality of your life should be your main goal.

Fat is good for you and a good source of energy for your body, it's the carbohydrates that do all the damage. If you don't burn off all the carbs through exercise your body turns them in to fat and stores them around your body. Also if you diet to just loose fat without exercising you will loose fat but also lean body mass (muscle) which is a bad thing, you can loose fat, gain muscle mass without the scales changing much but your body composition (shape) will change and should be the change you strive for not just loosing weight.

I try to follow the Paleo lifestyle of which their are a ton of books out their on the subject and a ton of free info on the link below, yes it does pimp his book a bit but their is still a load of useful information there including a few free ebooks if you signup for the newsletter, one of them does cover fitness through some simple bodyweight exercises, lots of good information on the second link for exercise.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

http://www.alkavadlo.com/
Old 18-07-2011

bondy ,how long does it take for your legs to recover after riding, i am currently commuting from leeds to castleford which is 25 mile round trip, but its taking and age for my legs to recover
Old 18-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Smokes, i've just started riding myself so i know were your coming from, legs like jelly after tonight. 9.8 miles which is the longest ride i've done but i recovered a bit quicker than before
What type of bike are you using ? mountain,hybrid or road bike.
The only reason i ask is because i tried a mountain bike but because of the knobbly tyres i found it hard to keep a consistant pace, I was fighting the bike, if you know what i mean. But on the bike i eventually bought (Hybrid) with road tyres it was a lot better. Keep at it though fella cos you will enjoy it, i am
Old 18-07-2011

I used to do 100miles week about 4 years ago and stopped, just wondering how long it take to get fit again. I am riding a mountian bike with schwabe marathons ( 1.50 wide and running a 100psi in them )on it but i am so slow on the hills compared to how I used to be.... Just trying figure how long it gonna take to get my legs back into shape. As bondy is way way ahead of me in the fitness stakes i thought i'd ask
Old 04-08-2011

Default Legs

I suppose it depends on the fitness level and amount of use. I have got to the stage now
Where my legs dont hurt much at all. But they get a work out everyday. The more you do the quicker you recover..lungs and heart aswell. The main thing to do is keep hydrated. Water is the key.. I didnt drink enough when I just had a bottle on the bike. Now I use a camelpak and get through roughly a litre an hour.

Me and brian shardlow after tonigts muddy run around pines.

And I agree about. Muscle mass and carbs. To begin with it was about getting rid of the bluber..now its about muscle mass and fitness. Ill let the last bit of bluber do its own thing. Was aiming for 18 stone but would be happy with a fit beefy 19 !

Old 17-08-2011

Default Mental Health

Not so much Physical health but more for metal health.. I always wanted a tattoo of somekind but having one done when your big then loosing weight means it goes all shrivelled. So after this last year and a half and to mark me dropping below the 20 stones mark and into the teens ! I thought id finaly have a little one done.

XXXI " 31 " as in 31 Stones which I went past.

NUMQUAM DENUO " never again " in Latin

Old 17-08-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Disco-Panda

Bondy the tattoo looks awsome man well done on the weight loss bud looking good

im guna have to take a leaf out of yur book and shed some fatty parts

well done again mate

Theres no subsitute for Pie!

C-Cup

Xbox Gamertag: JoeyCcup
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

On the subject of weight loss, I need some advice if anyone is qualified enough to know the answer?

In 2001 I slipped my L5S1 disc out partially but not enough that doctors would refer me to the hospital for MRI's or surgery.

After 7 years of suffering with the resultant sciatica and putting on weight due to not feeling able to exercise/ruining my posture from the muscle spasms and contractions etc I fell off a chair at work in early 2008 and 2/3rd's of my disc popped out.

Spent 2 weeks unable to move my left leg due to the disc popping out and completely mullering my sciatic nerve. Spent the next 5 months literally crying my eyes out in pain everytime I had to do anything that required moving my body..but still had to go to work 5 days a week as a salesman driving in uncomfortable positions for hours and then pounding the pavements for hours.

In fact the pain was so unbearable at times and resonated from my left ankle all the way to the underside of my gentlemans bits that I even started telling my parents I was scared I would lose the use of my bits Bad times.

Anyh0w, Oct 2008 I had the majority of the disc removed and the two vertabrae were ground down to reduce any bone rubbing (Dremelling!).

My problem (amongst others) is this. I still have nerve damage from the disc popping out so badly and pushing the nerve so hard. Where you can all do tippy-toes on both feet and on each individual foot, I cannot do that on my left leg. I have no pushing power at all and when I run/jog my right leg pushes off but my left leg just buckles so I basically look like the hunch back of Notre Dame shuffling into the distance..with running shoes on.

Does anyone know if that nerve damage and the resultant lack of any "pushing power" in my left leg will ever change?

When I fell off the chair and the dsic slammed into my nerve it made my left hamstring spasm so hard that the hamstring locked up solid for the first 4 hours. Once the muscle gave up the ghost (as said above) it took 2 weeks before I could even move the leg and a further 2 weeks before I could use it to stand on.

I just need to know if I will ever be able to use my leg properly again, regain the strength...and if so, how??

Or will I limp for the rest of my life?

Thanks in advance.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 01-09-2011

I'm a physio with about 10 years experience of working with musculoskeletal conditions. In answer to your question about the power of your leg following your lumbar spine surgery in 2008.

Your ability to recover depends on whether the muscle does not have power because it's nerve supply was affected and therefore became weaker or if the nerve was compressed enough that it is permanently unable to provide adequate signals to the muscle. If the muscle is just residually weak after the nerve returned to normal function then some strengthening exercise will help. If the nerve is compromised then it is unlikely to recover much strength. Given that you are still having problems now since 2008 I would think the latter scenario is the most likely one.

In saying that I would suggest that you find a physiotherapist near you who is state registered with the health professions council. That last bit is important as it means you will get a properly qualified physio. They will be able to assess you and advise you on how to maximise your function.

Good luck