Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-09-2006
Administrator

Default Hmm, nice "repair"

Hmm, I just had both my keyence ESC's "repaired", after they blew up for no reason, they were sent to schumacher 2/3 weeks back. it cost 54 quid all together but I guess its not so bad as long as I get them back and they work.
I wonder what "repaired" means when they give you two brand new units ?! It says the fet board was replaced on the itemised thingybob - but in reality they are brand spankers! lies!
Should I complain ? I had an oOple sticker on one of them and didnt get it back ??

Ok new or not I couldnt really afford to spend 54quid on them but thanks to schumacher anyway for sorting them out - my 2wd thanks you.
Old 25-09-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

that sounds like MTroniks repairs... oh, it is broken, chuck it in the bin and give him/her a new one.
Old 25-09-2006
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
that sounds like MTroniks repairs... oh, it is broken, chuck it in the bin and give him/her a new one.
its ceaper for em to give u a new one they are surface mount u cant realy mess with em
Old 25-09-2006

Had the same thing with my LRP.

Sent in a Q1 and they gave me a break down cost to repair it and then sent me a brand new Q2 back. So i checked the Helger site found this....

"Where goods are beyond economic repair we can offer an exchange unit at a reduced cost"
Old 25-09-2006

dude, a freind of mine, when we were messing with ESC's back in the mid 90's was building ESC's with SMT and they were repairable, the reason why they don't get fixed, is that they are mounted on the heatsink and then potted in Epoxy Resin rendering them unserviceable.
Old 25-09-2006
Administrator

lol
the Keyences are fully servicable I guess, there is no epoxy madness that I am aware of. Keyence is a massive company though, and I guess it costs less to give me a new one than repair it ?!?
Heck, they can keep the oOple sticker, I dont mind.
Old 26-09-2006

As i posted on Doughtyuk i had a problem with my LRP Q2, I sent it back and they replied really quickly. Although I had to pay for minor issues that were wrong with the speedo which invalidated it being sorted for free (unrelated to my problem obvioiusly) I got a new one back virtually straight away and recorded delivery too.

I think the service we 'Paying' racers get nowadays is pretty good, and I cannot fault the service at Helgar at all. Even the chap who I rang up and spoke to about it in the repairs dept was very pleasent.
Old 26-09-2006
Administrator

Yeah my QC2 was the same, got it NEXT DAY ! crazy paving!

I need to send in an LRP sphere which had a fit on the weekend, hopefully they will continue their good service.
Old 26-09-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Crikey Jim, at this rate ull have all new equipment for next year for peanuts!
Old 26-09-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

its easier for them to send you a new one, as they will send the cream crackered ones back to Keyence who will refurb em So you get new, then they get 'new' speedo's back they can sell on
Old 26-09-2006
Administrator

I think these new ones come from Keyence not Schumacher. Schumacher send the knackered ones off to be repaired in Japan and get sent new ones (not in boxes, just lil bags).

Keyence must be popular in Japan, because you hardly ever see them over here - I guess they are expensive, but certainly the best ive used.
Old 26-09-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

they look good enough,
Old 26-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I think these new ones come from Keyence not Schumacher. Schumacher send the knackered ones off to be repaired in Japan and get sent new ones (not in boxes, just lil bags).

Keyence must be popular in Japan, because you hardly ever see them over here - I guess they are expensive, but certainly the best ive used.
Is that like computer bits, like OEM and Retail Box... heehee
Old 26-09-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Keyence are actually big in industrial control systems. I work in this field and have come accross them through work. There ESC's don't seem to be all that big anywhere in the world - although Atsushi Hara has been running them recently and roumer has it that the "hara 3" speedo is born!! They are a very good speedo IMHO.

I had one blow ages ago, and it went in for repair. I did actually get the same one back - but i had heard from the US that they operate something of a service exchange idea now.

Jimmy, you didn't do too badly by the look of it - especially as i'm not sure one of those was ever available in the UK
Old 26-09-2006
Administrator

The Extreme 2002 I got off John Price and it came directly from Schumacher. I guess you are talking about the other one though. I'm not sure where it originated, I got it 2nd hand in the predx10 review car I got from a guy in london. I imagine it was bought over here like everything he had- most of it was OLD though, like the transmitter vicky uses.
It didnt look like that though, it had the same pots but the top had a gold heatsink instead of the blue sticker - so i didnt recognise it.

Anyway you are right, schumacher sorted me well.