Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-04-2012
Mad Member

Default Suggested boost/timing settings for SP ESC running 119MOD software

Anyone got a good starting point, both 2wd and 4wd for the 119 software?

Thanks
Old 26-04-2012

What wind motor?

Most off-roaders don't use any boost or turbo. Since there's no motor limit, you get a much smoother car leaving these off and fitting an appropriate wind motor.

However... I run a 10.5T in my 2wd buggy (as I happened to have one spare from TC racing), so I do run some turbo to keep up with the faster motors on the straight.

I run 35 turbo, 0.6s delay, 6deg/0.1s turbo ramp. It's as fast as the 6.5Ts on the straight, but does lack grunt on the infield, which you notice if there's a double after a corner that you need to accelerate hard to clear.
Old 26-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

actually dale many now do, they fit a softer motor for smoother drive then ramp the timing for more top end speed, hence why many top drivers use 7.5 or 8.5 in 2wd
Old 26-04-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

http://www.speedpassion.net/eu/escsetup.asp

plenty to go of here
Old 26-04-2012
Mad Member

thanks for the feedback guys

been on the SP website but the setups are over a year old and for the Stock software - none for the 119 Mod software though? This seems to be the same software revision as on the Orion speedos and I would have expected it to be the most popular on the SP too?

My aim is to run either 6.5 or 7.5 in 2wd and either 5.5 or 6.5 in 4wd.

Am I right in my understanding that boost is the "permanent" timing that is applied to the motor throughout the throttle range whereas turbo is only applied at full throttle, after the turbo delay period, up to the turbo timing max and in the intervals configured? So if I set 24 deg turbo, with 0.4s delay with 6deg/0.1sec, then after 0.4s of full throttle I start applying additional timing at the rate of 6deg per 0.1 sec upto the max of 24 degree additional timing?

Also, assuming that the Hobbywing and Orion software is similar to the SP, speedo settings from those brands would also be relevant?

Cheers
Old 26-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
Am I right in my understanding that boost is the "permanent" timing that is applied to the motor throughout the throttle range whereas turbo is only applied at full throttle, after the turbo delay period, up to the turbo timing max and in the intervals configured?
It's a little more complicated than that. I use the Hobbywing software which is what the SP software is based on.

Bear in mind there are 64 steps in the ESC timing, these are not degrees.

At 0 RPM there is no timing added by the ESC.

The "boost" is added at a rate based on the RPM of the motor (Timing ACC setting) starting from a certain RPM (Start RPM). So, for example, Boost timing at 36, start RPM at 4000 and Timing ACC at 350 means that the boost starts getting added at 4000rpm at a rate of 1 step per 350rpm until 36 steps have been added (in theory you are at full boost timing at 16600rpm).

The "turbo" is added after a time delay and at a rate based on time. I think you need to be at full throttle, and the latest software also waits until all the boost has been added until it adds the turbo. So, for example, with Turbo of 24, Turbo slope at 18 and Turbo delay at 0.4s, the turbo will kick in after you have been at full throttle for 0.4s, and will add the timing at a rate of 18 steps for every 0.1s until you have reached 24 steps.

It's probably easier to put the theory to one side though and just run it with the default settings, make small changes and see what happens.

The only difference between the MOD and STOCK versions of the software is that the MOD version has a restricted amount of timing available.

The bottom end is all in the motor and gearing. The midrange and topend is in the ESC.

I have run the turbo software a lot in on-road stock and I can tell you I don't like it. You lose a lot of throttle feel, and you waste a lot of time chasing the right balance between motor, gearing and ESC settings. I would never choose to run it in modified off-road for that reason - if I needed more speed I would motor up. Or even gear up, because brushless motors have got gobs of efficient torque and will pull a surprisingly big gear if you need them to.
Old 26-04-2012
Mad Member

thanks for your input.

would be nice to see what the thoughts of the SP team drivers (Lee Martin, Tom Cockerill, etc) are regarding the speedo setup and the use of Turbo/Boost/Timing/etc...

Old 26-04-2012
Mad Member

I have asked them both at a couple of races and they say they just run them with the standard settings in the firmware.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 26-04-2012
Mad Member

Do you know which software they are running? 119MOD?