Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Scotland

Old 18-01-2012

Trophy's or plaques should be included to make it feel like a special race meeting/series, us new comers / returning old timers would love the chance to win some silverware.
RB6 MM, Carbon RB6 RM & RB5 MCS #18

www.sdrcc.co.uk & www.grampianrcc.co.uk
Old 18-01-2012

There are two items that you can be sure will take up a lot of time at an AGM, trophies and marshals.
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
NORA - Northern Off-Road Arena - www.ddrcc.co.uk
Trader Feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49044
Old 18-01-2012

It doesnt have to be a trophy. It could be a certificate or something along those lines.
Im sure someone could make up a template on a computer program and then its just a case of printing them out.
A presentation at the end of the meeting is always a good way to finish off the day.
Old 18-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyClark View Post
It doesnt have to be a trophy. It could be a certificate or something along those lines.
Im sure someone could make up a template on a computer program and then its just a case of printing them out.
A presentation at the end of the meeting is always a good way to finish off the day.
Kenny

I'm sure that could be achieved by the clubs with no additional expense, good point for discussion at the AGM.

Derek
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
Old 18-01-2012

Looking like the AGM's gonna be a long one, lots to discuss with hopefully the correct outcomes. As for trophies every round, really think it's an expense that could be did without. I like the idea of the certificates though, that could work quite easily.
Hoping it's not like last years AGM, to be honest that dragged on a bit.
Scotty....
Old 21-01-2012

Smile

Is any one into a heat of SHORT COURSE or Stadium Trucks.
Old 21-01-2012

Not for me personally Davy, got enough to do with doing 2 classes in a day but i'm certainly all for others who are wanting to do a heat of shortcourse. They look really great fun and i'd gladly watch a heat of them.
Scotty....
Old 21-01-2012

Not for me, but would be very happy if others wanted to give it a try, helps space out the heats and give everyone some extra time for charging and fixing cars. I would far rather watch cars on a track than sit about waiting.
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
Old 21-01-2012

Default AGM

hi
i for on only have 2 points for the agm
1. keep the rules as is !
2. keep the AGM short - last years one was a turn off for a lot of racers who came to buggies to escape just such scenario's

chris

Ayrshire radio control car club
Carlisle radio model car club
Old 21-01-2012

Well said Chris we all just want to race my only point is

MARSHALING ie if race starts and on marshal they lose best time and NO IF or BUT or who it is

Davie
Old 21-01-2012

hi
good point davie - we dont need the agm for that though!, i for one will try and crack down on marshalling in my own meetings
chris

Ayrshire radio control car club
Carlisle radio model car club
Old 07-02-2012

[IMG]file:///Users/johnallan/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Guys,

with regards to marshalling there are specific rules in the BRCA 1/10th Off Road section rules, see below:

16. MARSHALLING REQUIREMENTS
16.1 Drivers will be expected to marshal during the race event. Failure to agree to this request, will be
deemed as a voluntary withdrawal of that driver’s entry from the event. Having agreed to perform
marshalling duties, drivers can incur marshalling penalties.
16.2 Penalties will be applied by the Referees for poor marshalling, late marshalling or failure to marshal, as
detailed in Rules 17.10, 17.11 and 17.12. Late marshalling is clarified as being any marshal not at the
correct position when the first car leaves the Start line or Final grid (unless otherwise instructed by officials).
Failure to marshal is clarified as being any marshal not at the correct position within one lap of the final car
circulating. (unless otherwise instructed by officials).
16.3 A substitute marshal is allowed, providing that the substitute is a BRCA member, that they fulfil the
marshalling duties adequately and that a Race Control Official has given permission. At National events, only
drivers competing in the event are allowed to marshal Heats and Finals. (This does not include marshals
supplied by the host Club to cover unfulfilled places). The driver will be subject to any penalties incurred by
their substitute marshal.
16.4 Only drivers who marshal the correct final(s) will score points in that round of the respective
Championship unless specific permission is given by the Race Director.
16.5 Marshals must have their hands free at all times.
16.6 Marshals must wear safe and sensible footwear that will not become detached when performing
marshalling duties. (Open toed shoes or sandals are not acceptable).
16.7 Marshals must remain at their posts until replaced.
16.8 At National Championship events, it is not mandatory to marshal practice sessions.

Marshalling Penalties
17.10 Penalties for poor marshalling will be as for driving penalties (17.6) and will be applied to the
Heat/Final prior to the offence. (Except Heat 1 of Round 1 which will be applied to that Round time).
17.11 The penalty for late marshalling during Qualifying will be seven places added to the drivers overall
qualifying position under the FTD qualifying system, or seven places added to the drivers best Round score
under the Round by Round system. The penalty for failure to marshal during qualifying is the loss of fastest
time under the FTD qualifying system, or the loss of the best round score under the Round by Round
system. The adjusted positions of other drivers are as detailed in 15.26.
17.12 Failure to marshal in the correct final at a Sanctioned event, unless specific permission is given by the
Race Director, will result in zero points being awarded at the event. The events points for other drivers are
not adjusted. In addition it may also result in the penalised driver being disqualified from the next Round of
that particular Championship, (2WD or 4WD).
17.13 Competitors exiting or entering the rostrum platform area while a race is in progress during Qualifying
will have ; seven places added to their overall qualifying position under the FTD Qualifying system, or seven
places added to their best Round score under the Round by Round system. The adjusted positions of other
drivers are as detailed in 15.26.

Now if we stick to these then there should be no issue/argument but the problem comes when everyone at an SORC round is a competitor which then causes bias to come in (not suggesting anything by this but it has arisen in the past).

Also last year we failed to keep to one thing that would've helped this issue, we failed to have race referees. I think this year this is a must & that we must have a race referee.

I also in hindsight think we should allow the use of any commercially available tyre on the rear axle & front un-scrutinized. This will help with scrutineering. Batteries & car dimensions should still be checked.

BRCA membership cards must be produced at booking in at every event. The reason for this is simple, last year competitors who were not BRCA members were somehow aloud to race & score points. This can't happen again for reasons of fairness but more importantly due to insurance purposes.

Only 1/10th scale off road cars to be raced at SORC events, reasoning behind this is that should we have a problem with the event or a delay of any kind then only having to concentrate on the 2 classes would be easier.

In conclusion:

1. Marshalling, follow BRCA rules & penalties
  2. Have a race referee
  3. No tyre rule except from only commercially available tyres on the rear axle (front equals free choice)
  4. BRCA membership cards to be produce at every event
  5. Only 1/10th Off Road classes (2WD & 4WD) at SORC events

Scottish 4wd 1/10th Off Road Regional Champion 2010
Scottish 2wd 1/10th Off Road Regional Champion 2011
West Coast Open 4wd Champion 2011
West Coast Open 2wd Champion 2012
Old 07-02-2012

just to make a statement i made about non-BRCA members being somehow aloud to race, I am also at fault with this one & so not pointing any fingers now I have all the facts. Every club who held a round of the championship is at fault.

This however is a good thing as it gives us an area to improve upon by either as i stated before:

BRCA membership cards being produced at booking in at each event

and/or

a SORC championship entry form where BRCA number must be provided

The Scottish off road scene is still in it's infancy but it is growing bigger & better year on year

Old 08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Snake View Post
In conclusion:

1. Marshalling, follow BRCA rules & penalties
  2. Have a race referee
  3. No tyre rule except from only commercially available tyres on the rear axle (front equals free choice)
  4. BRCA membership cards to be produce at every event
  5. Only 1/10th Off Road classes (2WD & 4WD) at SORC events
John

My thoughts:

1. totally agree, this is covered in the rule book we agreed to follow, we just need to agree if we want to continue with the relaxed meetings we all enjoy, or if we want to enforce the rules a bit more. Input from more people that raced last year required.

2. Race referees have been tried a number of times, we simply don't have the respect for these individuals, and until we do I don't see anybody stepping forward to help. Last year we tried at various rounds to have a dedicated marshal "referee", it didn't work, The experienced racers we used didn't want to do it, weren't consistant (by that I mean they would forget to do it each race), refused to use the microphone to communicate with drivers. Good idea which would be welcomed if done correctly, but I don't see it happening, sorry.

3. Well, this is the biggy. Sorry disagree totally, here's some reasons. Why change a good formula. Who will maintain a complete list of ALL tyres that are commercially available. Define commercially available. Racers will have to purchase a LOT more tyres, do we really need the expense. Potentially a meeting winner could be someone that has "the" tyre that works on the day, nobody else will have the opportunity to purchase these on the day.

4. Agree in principle, but here's something simpler. You cannot join the series (and therefore race) until you show your BRCA card. In BBK we can mark everyone as a member, this would show that your BRCA card has been checked, all future rounds don't need to check as it's been done that year.

5. Agree, but I think you meant 1/10th electric off road classes, currently 2wd and 4wd. Would this allow short course if numbers allowed, we could after all do with more racers/heats.

and something else I agree with:

The Scottish off road scene is still in it's infancy but it is growing bigger & better year on year

Derek
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
Old 08-02-2012

I've never understood why Race Directors didn't make drivers bring their BRCA membership cards to race control, when booking in.

Saves any problems. You've seen it and verified it for that driver on the day.
It's not that difficult to put the BRCA card beside your money; in a wallet for instance!

If you wanted to fly in a plane, you need a ticket. And a passport.

So I'd make it no card - no race. If you lose it, go get a new one from the BRCA. The Race Director could make exceptions, but it's solely at their decision - after all, it's the club that's responsible if a driver isn't a BRCA member, and they let them race.

And if drivers got just a tiny bit smarter they might put a sticker on the back of it, with their transponder number(s) and/or crystals.
That would help with booking-in.

Pet hate when booking in is people who don't bother to bring the basic info needed to race, to race control. Oh, they'll have all the latest "shiny-shiny", but not have a clue what their transponder number is. FFS!

So if they got a sharpie, and wrote the bloody number on the back of the BRCA card, problem solved.

While I'm at it, I'd make them hand over the right money too. Race Control is exactly that. Race Control. It's not a shop and it doesn't have a till with a "float".

So I'd propose the following:
  • BRCA Card mandatory and presented to Race Control at every meeting
  • Transponder number known, not guessed! It's the driver's responsibility to make sure the right number is in the computer. They can see it when they book in.
  • And they bring the correct money. No change given.
And if these three criteria aren't met when they get to the front of the cue, they get sent to the back to get it sorted, and let the rest of the drivers, who give a damn, get back to practice...
Old 08-02-2012

Is proxy voting allowed at the AGM?
Old 08-02-2012

1. think as we go forward we should try & be more strict but with the aim to keep the enjoyment balance. In other words not going from last year which was good/relaxed to this year being an iron rod, we slowly ease people towards following the rules closely which will also gradually improve driving/marshalling standards.
  2. Race Referee well I can possibly do this as I'm taking a time-out from competitive racing. I will also however be trying to help racers with their cars so as they can improve
  3. After talking with James I'm back to my original view of having the tyre rule for fairness & cost (as derek stated)
  4. Derek your idea is better but I'd still like to see some sort of spot check so we get people into the habit of bringing their BRCA cards to race meetings
  5. I purely mean 1/10th 2WD & 4WD at SORC. Tourers fell foul to too many race classes which diluted the racing. First lets concentrate on getting as many people racing 2WD and/or 4WD. Hope this makes sense

Last edited by Racing Snake; 08-02-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 19-02-2012

Excellent, easy going AGM today guys. The total lack of numbers was a bit disheartening but prob made the meeting quicker. Roll on NORA April 22nd.
Scotty
Old 20-02-2012

Was the sorc calendar set at the agm?

Any heads up on the dates for planning purposes?

Thanks
David
Old 20-02-2012

Hi

Date's will be posted soon

jim

Schumacher Racing www.racing-cars.com

SMD www.s-m-d.co.uk

Scoonie Hobbies www.scoonie-hobbies.co.uk

Bruce's Models