Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
I personally think this should be blocked now mods!
A, because I'm sick of reading it
B, because its dragging a good guys name through the mud!
C, people on here really need to get a life and stop sitting behind a computer screen talking utter shit and worrying about things that are out of there control.

Peace
Bloody hell Gaz! It only took 1178 posts for you to then put a sensible one
Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
C, people on here really need to get a life and stop sitting behind a computer screen talking utter shit and worrying about things that are out of there control.

Peace
I guess your PC must have got a life of its own then. My PC requires a person to be sat behind the screen for it to make a post.
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Very good both of you
Old 09-03-2013

@ Chris, LDA is 26.5 miles from Southport which I assume is the road club your talking about.

LDA was closer to another Northwest club who cater, very well, for the fun market but its in no way a competitive off road club.

And if people aren't coming what do you do? I thought asking why seemed to be a good idea but as Gaz says all this is completely irrelevant now. Mark tried to offer an off road experience completely different to anything else in the Northwest to the racers. It seems they didn't want it so he closed it.

No point hanging on to host the regional when all the comments are negative.
Old 09-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
@ Chris, LDA is 26.5 miles from Southport which I assume is the road club your talking about.

LDA was closer to another Northwest club who cater, very well, for the fun market but its in no way a competitive off road club.

And if people aren't coming what do you do? I thought asking why seemed to be a good idea but as Gaz says all this is completely irrelevant now. Mark tried to offer an off road experience completely different to anything else in the Northwest to the racers. It seems they didn't want it so he closed it.

No point hanging on to host the regional when all the comments are negative.
Chris was referring to Croston, which is 10 miles and not LDA. I also think your comment re Ribble Valley is doing them a great disfavour – they are particularly good in encouraging youngsters into our sport, a number of which will be in the F2 zone this season – hardly street bashers. They race Friday’s and I guess are about 12 miles from LDA, so a serious competitor.

Anyway, taking your last comment, I represented Southport at the regional meeting where letting LDA host a regional was voted on.

It was a split vote. I voted for allowing them, whereas others voted against saying that Mark is just in it for the money and that any time if he felt that the fees were not attractive enough he would just drop the regional. I argued that he is in it for the long-haul and should be given the opportunity. How wrong I was, and I feel embarrassed that the reps from other clubs had a clearer grasp on the situation. What they foretold came to fruition – sorry guys.
Old 09-03-2013

Tony, I said no such thing about Ribble, in fact I said they cater very well for the fun market. They are a great club for encouraging the new blood, I've no issue with that. LDA and Ribble are, or were, aimed at different people.

Again its not an issue now but thank you for the support in the meeting, Mark wanted to try to recover some of his costs over time, sure, but the main driver was to give something back and run a club as he thought best, IE by a racer for racers.

Dropping the Regional, and the GP to that end, wasn't an easy decision but with such poor numbers and the discouraging comments, most people posting they weren't going to attend, he felt he couldn't keep paying to support something that seemed doomed to never come good.
Old 09-03-2013

'no way a competitive off road club'. Sorry I missread that as meaning street-bashers. Perhaps I shouldn't take things too literal.

I've only seen a very small number of posts from people saying they wouldn't go. I know most of us were looking forward to the challenge and anyway I'm sure Mark has broader shoulders than to worry about the odd negative comment.
Old 21-03-2013

Audiatur et altera pars.

Most of what has been said in this section seems reasonable. I'm sure not everyone agrees with all of it but we are entitled to our opinion. What tyres work? , is the surface too loose? etc are reasonable questions though I'm not quite sure how we've reached the fifth page of talk about tyres for a very low attendance club. It is disappointing to read the negative comments but they mostly came from people who had never been and the silly comments about horse sh1t etc are ridiculous and the views of those post makers can be Ignored but nevertheless they were unhelpful to a struggling club.

However, I do feel it is a little unsatisfactory when posts appear about the personal character of club runner(s). I think these comments are inconsistent with the truth and unjustified.

I worked hard to try to set up an evening club that I thought established racers would enjoy. I invested a lot of time and money into both Croston and LDA firstly because I have always wanted to host a club that built tracks I like and secondly because I wanted somewhere to race myself that offered the outdoor feel before you go to race on the Sunday somewhere else. I invested thousands of pounds into this venture plus a lot of lost earnings so to me it represented a large investment. I never expected to make any sort of profit but hoped it would be busy enough for me to at least get back even eventually and then perhaps invest any additional funds back in.

In it for the long haul? Does persistently hosting loss making meetings at two separate venues over nearly a year not count as a huge effort to make a club succeed in the long term? Nobody wanted to make a success of either venue more than I but to do that racers needed to attend! It was only after nearly a full season of trying that the practical issues of hiring a venue for a handful of racers became unsustainable. It finally became apparent that instead of a wealth of enthusiasm for a new club there was lethargy. It simply is the case that LDA was a club that, like many other clubs around the country, suffered for whatever reason from low turnouts and eventually went the same way as many have before.

My good spirited aspiration to host a regional was sincere as I hoped like many of you have agreed that it would be a spectacular event with a great track. I also hoped that with LDA being on the regional calendar it might inspire a rush of interested racers to trial the club and see for themselves if they agreed with me that it was indeed a great venue - It didn't.

In my view LDA was worth a try but ultimately just not sustainable. So - to quote Augustus, 'acta est fabula'.