Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > S-Workz

Old 01-07-2014

Default S104 - A few questions

Hi guys,

I'm looking to compete in the Mid-South Regionals next year in 4WD (I do 2WD already, all D Finals last year with TC02C, all C Finals this year with TM2).

I'm weighing up whether to go with the TM4 or the S104, so a few answers to some questions about the S104 may help me decide:

1) How does the car go out of the box? Are there any option parts needed straight away?

2) How does the basic car compare to the Evo kit car? Does the Evo kit produce a noticeable improvement for a good club driver / reasonable regionals driver?

3) Do most of you run saddles or shorty? I'm mostly going to run on Astro at Regionals (and grass at club but I'm only bothered about Astro). Does either of these configurations (for example, shorty) give a better performance on Astro?

I notice there isn't a massive amount of information on either car, so as I've done with my other cars (Mini, SupaStox) I'm going to write a blog about the build, setup, results etc. I'm surprised there isn't one already

Cheers!

Joe Keaveney
Old 03-07-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Joe,

Ok well I havent raced mine yet but have gone up against these on the track and must say they are pretty tidy and seem to be well built too.

1) Car appears to be great out of the box but did note all I saw had the alloy pivot blocks. For a small amount of cash from Answer RC you can buy the chassis upgrade like the one I have just posted pics on and looks pretty much sorted. Fits together really well.

2) I have no idea but the drive train is the same on both cars so would presume there would not be much difference if at a reasonable level for club racing. I always prefer upgrading the weaker plastic bits just in case and this car isnt overly priced for bits and pieces.

3) Do most of you run saddles or shorty? I'm mostly going to run on Astro at Regionals (and grass at club but I'm only bothered about Astro). Does either of these configurations (for example, shorty) give a better performance on Astro? Im saddles with the new chassis, others prefer a shorty but is down to preference.

Ive done a gear chart which is posted on here somewhere, and swopped the steering carbon fibre knuckle plate so its underneath the knuckle to stop all bump steer as that will make the car a bit more smoother on cornering and balanced the weight so is equal on either side of the chassis front and back. Other than that not much else until I give it a blat in a couple of months time.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 03-07-2014

Thanks for the reply, Welshy Am right in thinking you're running the Evo kit upgrade then? Also, I guess you'll be racing it in the Mid-South Region too?
Old 03-07-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
Thanks for the reply, Welshy Am right in thinking you're running the Evo kit upgrade then? Also, I guess you'll be racing it in the Mid-South Region too?
Upgrade yes, but no for the regionals im only doing the indoor season in kent at maritime raceway this year.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 04-07-2014

Hi Joe

I've been racing this great car all this year as the kit chassis, but have just up-graded to the evo conversion. I'm doing the 4wd regionals (Mid- South) and will be at Surrey and Hants this Sunday. If you are able to pop down, I'll gladly answer any questions you have and help in any way possible. I'm unable at present to answer all your questions as I've students waitiing to do an exam, so I must go. If you want, PM your mobile number and I'll get back to you.

Paul
Sworkz UK Team driver
Orca
Old 04-07-2014

Thanks Paul, I'm helping out at the Cotswolds TC National this weekend, but I'll drop you a PM
Old 04-07-2014

1) How does the car go out of the box? Are there any option parts needed straight away?..... As far as I know all new kits come with the Evo upgrades so the only other thing you should need to buy are yokomo shock seals.

2) How does the basic car compare to the Evo kit car? Does the Evo kit produce a noticeable improvement for a good club driver / reasonable regionals driver?... Evo is a big improvement but as above should be included.

3) Do most of you run saddles or shorty? I'm mostly going to run on Astro at Regionals (and grass at club but I'm only bothered about Astro). Does either of these configurations (for example, shorty) give a better performance on Astro?... I've only ran saddles in mine and anyone else I've seen with the Evo kit runs saddles as well but from what I've heard the new chassis favours saddles

I notice there isn't a massive amount of information on either car, so as I've done with my other cars (Mini, SupaStox) I'm going to write a blog about the build, setup, results etc. I'm surprised there isn't one already ..... Answer rc did a thread as they built a car, it's on here somewhere