Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199
99% of people who race RC in this country are club racers. We roll up, talk crap for 5 hours at a race meeting, watch the local hotshot destroy the competition then we go home to our lives and talk the same shit here on oOple. We'll never win anything,

class act this fella should be primeminister

Last edited by Col; 21-10-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: quoting
Old 17-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody227 View Post
The only reason that you can drive for example a x6 cubed on low bite is, that it has so much weight transfer to the rear, but at the same time it looses all his rear grip as soon as you break, so you can not drive clear lines and have to point-and-shoot
I'm not sure whose X-6 Cubed you've tried, but mine certainly doesn't lose it's rear end under breaking, in fact I was able to keep up with some of the 4wd cars in the rain where I race.
Old 17-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post

However what are peoples opinions of a national series, where one car may have a significant advantage over another on certain tracks, are you willing to buy said chassis, or just get on with it with what you have, or are you put off by the possibility of this happening?
I think if your prepared to spend the money to do the Nats, a second, maybe third car won't be too much of an issue (TC boys will have a "wet" car), unless of course you drive for someone who doesn't have the whole range of lay-outs for you to use.
Old 17-10-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I only do off road for fun, im not going to beat the top guys, I go to have fun, race my mates and watch how the top lads do it, to me its an easy choice, rear motor low grip, mid motor middle of the pack, midmid high grip, ill take the mid and it will still outdrive my skills, but I will be having fun
Old 17-10-2013

The above statement is totally rite,the fun and banter is what it's all about for me,.......
Old 17-10-2013
Mad Member

Going back to the point about the inside looking out, here's the outside looking in...

I always liked 2WD because it was relatively cheap to buy and run, and the range of tyres needed was pretty small, especially with your rules about 'control' tyres for the rear. I don't have a car now, but let's suppose I wanted to come back into the class as a fun thing at my local Regionals.

What car would I buy? Rear, mid, front? How would I know which one would give me a bit of fun to break up the other five hours of talking crap and watching the local hotshot. What would I have to do, buy all three to make my mind up? How would I know if one would not be better than the other for me? The likelihood is I would not bother until it all shook out and one car was clearly better than another. I definitely would not buy one while all this was going on in fear of making an expensive mistake or getting something that for me, was a dog to drive and spoiled my enjoyment of talking crap for five hours...

Imagine then someone who does have the cash to join in, but can't see the need to buy three cars to find the one that works for them. At times when technology is changing fast participation drops - it has happened in every class since RC began.

So as an outsider looking in, this is a reason not to join this class. If that worries anyone then you have some work to do. If not, then carry on the intellectual naval gazing!
Old 17-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post

What car would I buy? Rear, mid, front?

If you were a returning racer to the class surely you would think to have a pop down your local club and check out what everyone else was racing and see what works, I'm sure someone would let you have a test drive maybe

Quiet a few cars have all the options in the box to run MM or RM so if you were just starting out whatever car you bought I'm sure would be upto the job of getting a beginner/returning racer racing reasonably competitive.
Old 18-10-2013

IMO watching the guys who race regionals, nationals and beyond makes you see the need for multi config chassis... if a particular config is good for a certain track it makes sense to have that advantage to keep the sponsors happy, but at a club meet it seems overkill.. I understand some use club meets for testing, but I think it boils down to what you want out of your Sunday morning for a lot of us..

Whilst there are manufacturers out there developement will always occur, it's just the way it is, end of... if you aspire to be a top driver you will buy the next new thing regardless just to attain your goal and get that 1/100th of a second victory...

BRCA legislators are the puppets here 'cos they set the spec for a particular class... if the BRCA allows something, then people will use it, simples... just you watch, it'll be fly by wire autonomous speedos or self righting chassis' next... or maybe even something to eliminate the human interface all together..you know, charge it up, put it down and return to your pit table for a 5 minute snooze..!!
Old 18-10-2013

With regards to the point of using different cars at the same meeting I seem to remember it being in the rules that you had to finish a meeting with the same chassis you started with, this May have been dumped as it was some time ago.
Old 06-11-2013
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

As the schumacher KF has now been released and they have three cars for different track conditions. It is pretty much adament a competitive driver now needs a minimum of two cars. Three if you run on dirt/clay.

Will the release of this car and next in line the xray xb4 2wd, it really does seem this class is becoming an expensive one to be competitive in.
Old 06-11-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Just because 1 company makes 3 variations of their 2wd buggy does not mean you HAVE to buy 3 cars just to compete. If you have the money to do this then great, but it doesn't mean you have to or you'll just be bringing up the rear.

Look at the 2011 (I think, might be wrong there) nationals where Lee was up there fighting for the wins with his rear motor'd car on these apparent high grip astro tracks. I'm pretty sure I've also seen others take wins with the B4 against SV's, etc when apparently you had to have a mid-motor car to be competitive.
Old 06-11-2013

I think ill still use my rear motor 2WD tamiya. Its just to0 much money for these options, just looking at the options for the 201, which is ment to keep it competive you need big bore shocks around £70, new long wheel base conversion £ 130 then to go mid £80 plus the price of the car to start with. Then there are many battery options now too. I have seen drivers with stick, saddle and stubby batteries in there kit just to play around with the balance.
Is it time to bring in a limited stanadard class and a modified class like we
had in the 80's when there was a 27turn class. (apart from a few cheating demon motors that had 19t internals)

Jk
Old 06-11-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Imo the mid motored car will be fine in 90% of all race conditions, from damp grass right through to bone dry super fast astro/carpet and even dirt. It's just a case of setting your car up accordingly.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 06-11-2013

Wahoo, what a thread!!
If Schumacher have made a car that you could give the three motor position ( rear, mid, front) you're gonna call them genius!!

Now remember the time when every one got rear motor some car would be better on dirt and other on astro but they have the same chassi layout...

Other thing, with different driving style a same car on the same track with the same set up could win or loose.

(i just buy a sv2 last week )
Old 09-11-2013

Some other thing:
- in france we got a standard 2wd category with 13.5 motor
- I don't know how many category you got at our national championship but in France we got 4wd, 2wd and standard 2wd, ST and SC 2wd. So the question is what it cost more three 2wd cars or one 4wd and 2wd and ST cars?
Whatever how many 2wd cars you have it cost you less in tires and maintenance.
Old 09-11-2013

IMO its best just to have 1 car and drive it a lot. I have made the mistake of buying cars and selling them, using them for a month, and then buying a new one. Just as Schumacher has three cars does not mean you need three cars. I think the best way to get remotely good (which I am not) is to buy a car, stick with it, as the transition between cars seems to stifle learning. Maybe I have gone off topic.

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 10-11-2013

Look how many cars are out there, this is a reflection of a market where companies are investing there research an development in.
You should not be looking at why there are so many cars out there , you should be happy that we have an industry that is spending wisely.

If you want to see a company that marks out niches from no where look at BMW.
Old 10-11-2013

probably the only reason we are now seeing different chassis layouts used on different surfaces is the sheer amount of power we now have. it wouldnt make as much difference without the need to put down the amount of power we are using. a 13.5 brushless is probably quicker than anything that was used in the early nineties when virtually everything was rear motor