Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 13-04-2014

Default Rb6 idler gear keeps letting me down

Iam using the rudebits rb6 idler gears and keep having problems with stripping them , i used new gearbox housing new bearings and used kyosho grease but still having issues , need help , what am i doing wrong?
Old 13-04-2014

I've not had any issues with idlers stripping since changing to the rudebits gears. There is an alloy Kyosho idler gear now available though.
Old 13-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
I've not had any issues with idlers stripping since changing to the rudebits gears. There is an alloy Kyosho idler gear now available though.
Hi i know a few people who have never had a issue with them but i seem to go through 1 every 2 weeks , am i tightening the slipper up to much ? Am getting that fed up am thinking of switching cars .
Old 13-04-2014

Has it only just started happening?

I blew one back in October, replaced them both with the rudebits ones, no trouble since.

Check the slipper shaft, as the gear on that may have worn, either the gear or the bearing shoulders which the bearings sit on.
Old 13-04-2014

Andy, did you replace the diff gear after you replaced the idlers? Try replacing all 3 gears together and make sure the layshaft gear is completely clean and free of any bits of debris (also the gearbox casing). I only did this once after the stock idlers stripped at Bury regional last year and have never had to replace any gearbox gears since.
Old 13-04-2014
Mad Member

I think it's a slipper problem as you're obviously putting too much stress on your gearbox (probably trying to get the forward drive that forward motors have)
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 14-04-2014
oOple Advertiser

Hi Andy
Please send me the idler gears back and I will replace them for you totally free of charge.
I have never had a RudeBits idler gear go yet but maybe there is a first.

To try and cure your problem!
Please check all the bearings and make sure they are not worn.
Also the shaft that they sit on and whether that shaft has any movement in the gearbox casings.
There must be no movement even if you feel its very small.
You must replace both gears and not just one. Like mentioned the ideal scenario is to replace all three (including the diff gear)
There are a lot of people that grease there gears.!!
I never do that - run them totally dry and if all well you can even hear the car have that lovely super soft whistle. If you grease them then you run the risk of any small amount of dirt that gets in to basically be attracted to the gear and then of course its wearing.
I do realise that you probably done and know a lot of what I've mentioned but like I said, its the first time anyone has reported any problem at all...

Please let us know - ta - Tony E
Old 14-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not helpful I know but my first set of gears lasted nearly a year and since fitting RudeBits ones it's been faultless.

Never grease the gearbox of the RB6 either for the reasons Tony says.

Good luck.
Old 14-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
Hi Andy
Please send me the idler gears back and I will replace them for you totally free of charge.
I have never had a RudeBits idler gear go yet but maybe there is a first.

To try and cure your problem!
Please check all the bearings and make sure they are not worn.
Also the shaft that they sit on and whether that sfat has any movement in the gearbox casings.
There must be no movement even if you feel its very small.
You must replace both gears and not just one. Like mentioned the ideal scenario is to replace all three (including the diff gear)
There are a lot of people that grease there gears.!!
I never do that - run them totally dry and if all well you can even hear the car have that lovely super soft whistle. If you grease them then you run the risk of any small amount of dirt that gets in to basically be attracted to the gear and then of course its wearing.
I do realise that you probably done and know a lot of what I've mentioned but like I said, its the first time anyone has reported any problem at all...

Please let us know - ta - Tony E
Hi tony thank you ive just ordered 2 more of yourself it must b something that iam doing i will rebuild as instructed and let you knoq if i have any problems, thank you ,andy
Old 21-04-2014

Thank you for all the advice i put new rudebits idler gears in and virtually everything else new and had no problems at all this sunday , it was whistling it was that smooth i think i overtightened the gearbox case so nothing at all wrong with the idler gears it was my crap building skills .
Old 22-04-2014
oOple Advertiser

Happy you got it sorted Andy - anything you need just ask
Old 23-04-2014

Check very closely the top shaft as it is made of Aluminium and hard coated, once they go they go good. Looking from the slipper end you need to check the right side of the teeth, if the face is not perfectly smooth replace it.
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk