Someone needs to buy one of every 2wd buggy and compare them
Old 25-11-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J77MYF View Post
Someone needs to buy one of every 2wd buggy and compare them
Isn't that what Sirshawny500 does?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 25-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Isn't that what Sirshawny500 does?
Haha indeed it is, although he never even uses them.

Last edited by J77MYF; 25-11-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 25-11-2015

The honest truth is that everyone is just going to recommend their manufacturer of their choice with these threads. I could give you a list of reasons to get a Serpent SRX2 MM, such as its exceptional durability, how easy to drive it is, and how you get a completely capable car straight from the box without the need for hop-ups, yet it's still one of the cheapest 2WD kits out there.

However, 1/10 Off Road is such a competitive class that the market is pretty much at stalemate. It's much like 1/10 TC - all the cars look the same for a reason. There really is no car that is light years ahead of another - as long as you can find spares easily and it fits your budget, you'll be completely fine. Astroturf/carpet racing and a big push in quality has forced manufacturers to take the class seriously. Today, all cars are made to such a high standard that any cars which are fundamentally poor (take the original 22) show themselves up, and manufacturers have to take note to prevent poor sales. Even first attempts are exceptional - see the Carisma 4XS - a car that, besides rear hubs which are a tad too weak, is virtually impossible to fault quality-wise. Even the less well-known brands, like VBC and PR, are producing reasonably priced kits with great support from distributors and shops alike, all to the highest standard. If you took one back 10 years, and lined them up next to your average B4 and XXX-BK2, they'd look light years ahead.

Long story short, any modern 1/10 Off Road release is a strong enough package for you to buy it and enjoy running it. All have their weaknesses, all have their strengths, but you can't really "go wrong" with any purchase. The only car I know of which simply isn't up to the job for a 2015 kit is the TRF211XM, which is a very nice quality kit, but is simply overpriced, has too little UK support, and lacks some of the very basics that are to be expected on a car in 2015 (such as 12mm hexes). Other than that, see what people at your local club run, and pick whatever kit you like the look of.
Old 25-11-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy#0 View Post
The honest truth is that everyone is just going to recommend their manufacturer of their choice with these threads. I could give you a list of reasons to get a Serpent SRX2 MM, such as its exceptional durability, how easy to drive it is, and how you get a completely capable car straight from the box without the need for hop-ups, yet it's still one of the cheapest 2WD kits out there.

However, 1/10 Off Road is such a competitive class that the market is pretty much at stalemate. It's much like 1/10 TC - all the cars look the same for a reason. There really is no car that is light years ahead of another - as long as you can find spares easily and it fits your budget, you'll be completely fine. Astroturf/carpet racing and a big push in quality has forced manufacturers to take the class seriously. Today, all cars are made to such a high standard that any cars which are fundamentally poor (take the original 22) show themselves up, and manufacturers have to take note to prevent poor sales. Even first attempts are exceptional - see the Carisma 4XS - a car that, besides rear hubs which are a tad too weak, is virtually impossible to fault quality-wise. Even the less well-known brands, like VBC and PR, are producing reasonably priced kits with great support from distributors and shops alike, all to the highest standard. If you took one back 10 years, and lined them up next to your average B4 and XXX-BK2, they'd look light years ahead.

Long story short, any modern 1/10 Off Road release is a strong enough package for you to buy it and enjoy running it. All have their weaknesses, all have their strengths, but you can't really "go wrong" with any purchase. The only car I know of which simply isn't up to the job for a 2015 kit is the TRF211XM, which is a very nice quality kit, but is simply overpriced, has too little UK support, and lacks some of the very basics that are to be expected on a car in 2015 (such as 12mm hexes). Other than that, see what people at your local club run, and pick whatever kit you like the look of.
Amen

On Friday at Cully a chap (sorry, don't know name) had the hobbyking 2wd car called something like BZ22 or something. I think he said it cost ~£40 (so he'd bought 2) and he thrashed me. Rear hubs on mine cost more than that!!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 26-11-2015

Ashlandchris has nailed it.

The really quick guys could put a 4 wheeled RC toaster down on the start line and make it go quick. I think we've all bought the latest must have car at some point in the past thinking that we'll instantly be 4 seconds a lap quicker. Then reality bites you back and you realise that the weak link is actually the driver.

Since this realisation I have accepted my position in the pecking order
Old 26-11-2015

I had a YZ2 and it was fast but hard work so ditched it. Bought a KF2 and it seems easier to drive, not as fast over a lap but faster over 5 minutes. The SE edition KF2 is better as you get all 3 layouts in one box. It takes very little time to change it as well.

The PR S1 V3 looks like a bargain, £240. The spec looks excellent not sure about the quality as I've never seen one.

The "my car is better than your car" opinions are BS and as for manufacture bashing that's pathetic. Every manufacturer has their issues, not one is perfect.

At the end of the day different cars suit different people. Go to a club and try each car and see what suits you. Like it and buy it.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 27-11-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
I had a YZ2 and it was fast but hard work so ditched it. Bought a KF2 and it seems easier to drive, not as fast over a lap but faster over 5 minutes. The SE edition KF2 is better as you get all 3 layouts in one box. It takes very little time to change it as well.

The PR S1 V3 looks like a bargain, £240. The spec looks excellent not sure about the quality as I've never seen one.

The "my car is better than your car" opinions are BS and as for manufacture bashing that's pathetic. Every manufacturer has their issues, not one is perfect.

At the end of the day different cars suit different people. Go to a club and try each car and see what suits you. Like it and buy it.
This man speaks wise words

I've had a few cars over the last 4 years and the easiest to drive by far has been the schumacher. The others have been good,maybe I have given them enough time to get them set up. I personally think the PR will be a good car, I would of thought Kev Lee would be importing them if it wasn't a good car.

For me, I'm looking at the Xray, it looks good, not a bad price and they are meant to be strong, that's a positive for my driving. And if I don't like it I can go back to my KF2

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 27-11-2015
Mad Member

[QUOTE

On Friday at Cully a chap (sorry, don't know name) had the hobbyking 2wd car called something like BZ22 or something. I think he said it cost ~£40 (so he'd bought 2) and he thrashed me. Rear hubs on mine cost more than that!![/QUOTE]

there speaks a honest man

proof if any was ever needed its ultimately man that makes the difference not machine

dave
Old 27-11-2015

I'd be tempted to get a second hand b5m and spend a bit more on radio gear , find your feet and go from there .
Old 04-12-2015

Having never ran buggies before I've decided on buying a 2nd hand B5M it's in mint condition, only bought it 2 days ago, servo is sorted carnt wait to mess about with it ( that's if the kids will let me have ago lol )
Old 06-12-2015

I just went through this exact same process. I wanted a 2wd buggy to run on astro and indoors and to perform when the track is a little wet. Here is what I learned.

There are 4 types of 2wd buggy:

1. Mid-motor
2. Forward motor (KF, Db2, Team C, X factory etc)
3. Mid-motor lower centre of gravity
4. Rear motor (no good on most of our tracks here in the UK)

I have a forward motor car, they are great when the track is bone dry or when running indoors but I find it undrivable when it's wet/damp. I have also had a "normal" mid-motor car, they are ok in both wet and dry.

But some of the newer 2wd cars coming out (not sure about the Losi 22 v3) have a lower centre of gravity by placing the motor and gear box as close to the chassis as possible. There are a few car manufacturers doing this right now. The Losi 22 v3 might be one of them, I haven't seen that car yet.

Alot of the newer cars allow for shifting the lipo forwards and back also to allow for weight displacement.

Hope this helps.
Simon
Old 22-12-2015

OK, so in terms of weight distribution (comparing rear motor to Mid motor) what is the actual difference between the two (i.e. 50/60% rear bias)

Admittedly, there can be some shifting during set up due to battery position etc. but does anyone know the numbers? I have a B4.1 Worlds and i'm not really sure i want to get rid of it and go 'mid' (and get new LiPo's too!)

I like a challenge, but also don't like to p*#s into the wind!
Old 22-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish View Post
OK, so in terms of weight distribution (comparing rear motor to Mid motor) what is the actual difference between the two (i.e. 50/60% rear bias)

Admittedly, there can be some shifting during set up due to battery position etc. but does anyone know the numbers? I have a B4.1 Worlds and i'm not really sure i want to get rid of it and go 'mid' (and get new LiPo's too!)

I like a challenge, but also don't like to p*#s into the wind!
A B4 with lipo is about 70/30, Conventional mid is about 60/40, laydown mid is about 57/43 and front mid is 55/45. For dry astro and carpet, rear motor was finished 5 years ago. For high traction carpet and astro conventional mid is also no longer competitive. The KF2 is undeniably good on high traction and I think the jury is still out on 3 gear vs. 4 gear laydown transmissions...?
Old 24-12-2015

Time to put the B4 and B4.1 WC in the classifieds then...

AntH, by "fwd mid", do you mean front wheel drive mid motor or centre mounted motor and rear wheel drive?

Tell me it's not front wheel drive, mid motor...I'll weep...

I raced FWD in scale saloons on carpet and it was very point and shoot, I'd hate to see buggies go that way. I've been away from racing for a while...
LayDown
BossCat inbound...

Last edited by bish; 24-12-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 24-12-2015

Quote:

AntH, by "fwd mid", do you mean front wheel drive mid motor or centre mounted motor and rear wheel drive?

Tell me it's not front wheel drive, mid motor...I'll weep...

I raced FWD in scale saloons on carpet and it was very point and shoot, I'd hate to see buggies go that way. I've been away from racing for a while...
No mate it means mid motor forward, look at the Schumacher KF2 as an example.
Old 24-12-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Or change one into a XFactory X-6 Cubed
Old 25-12-2015

out of the box you cannot go wrong with any generation KF, there is just a bunch of support for them and they work well. The PRS1V3 is solid and Kev and the other UK PR team drivers have been racking up some impressive results with them (I have not gotten to drive mine yet) The B5M is not competitive on astro out of the box (the competitive ones all have the Reds laydown transmissions) same with the Losi 22. The new B5M champions edition and the 22 3.0 still have conventional MM/high center of gravity transmissions. They work great on clay tracks in the US (along with the RB6 and SV2)
The new Xray XB2 looks like a great buggy.
The other front motor buggies are great when its dry, an exercise in frustration when wet (TM2, DB2, Xray XB4/2, etc)
Old 25-12-2015

I've ran many cars. The of is good but I found you have to be on the ball all the time. I've also ran a bmax 2. Awesome car and very stable. I have seen Kev Lee run the pr1. And looks very easy to drive. I'm now running the sworkz s12-1m. It is almost spot on out the box with just slight tweaks the geometry is very similar to rb6 as we know works but with a laydown 3 gear gearbox. I would recommend the sworkz
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 02-01-2016

Some of the tracks here are still clay. I think I'll keep an eye out for a centro 4.2 conversion, or Amain have the SV2 for a great price right now.
I'm off the Phoenix next week so I'm packing the buggy to drive at SRS Raceway (clay). With MIDs rocking on clay now too though, so I could be in for a shock!

Edit:
So...racing on clay...I rocked up with proline Hole shots, expecting to put some laps down. Wow, i couldn't even get up the face of the jumps!
$60 later and a set of...slicks-the car was now amazing. What i couldn't deal with was the jumps (not used to them). Still a great time and experience. So much so i'd like to drive clay again.

The local track is astro, so i'll have to look for something mid after all. At the minute i'm looking for a Centro C4.2.

So, i accidentally got a KF2 :-)
LayDown
BossCat inbound...

Last edited by bish; 31-01-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: addition