Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 06-11-2013

Default Wheels stripping on the Hexs

Hi,

I seem to be having problems with the touring car wheels Sorex 32JB although I think most of the wheels seem to do the same thing, the basically rotate on the hex. I use serrated wheel nuts so as soon as the wheel strips once the wheels falls off! I crank the wheels on seriously tight but really makes no real difference.

I am running a Tamiya 417 v5, it is a very high grip carpet track, strangely nobody else at the club has the same issue. I am also running a spool on the front, and might have to try a geared diff full of thick gunge instead to try and stop this issue. The tekin speedo I run also has vicious brakes which I wonder may be causing this issue.

Please help

Thanks Chris
Old 10-11-2013

throw the serrated wheel nuts as far as you can, get ni-lock nuts but change for new ones every 6 mouths
As for the rev-lite plastic wheels, for the price we pay they are absolutely crap. I really expected Schumacher to source a better plastic wheel,but they will not as long as we keep buying them. As I say good tyres and inserts shame about the wheel's.
Old 10-11-2013
Mad Member

As above, the serated nuts can be over-tightened and crack the inner part of the wheels. I don't have any issues with my V5 and I run a spool.
Old 14-11-2013

Awesome thanks you guys, I love the serrated wheel nuts, but I will take your advice!

Any suggestions for which make of nylock nuts to go for?

You are right the wheel plastic is crap!
Thank you

Chris
Old 14-11-2013

after a while if your hitting track markers alot with a spool the wheel hexs do open up somewhat, not much can be done other than using a new set of wheels. The other option is to maybe run a front diff to save damaging the wheels hexs as it will give alittle when you hit something.....
Old 15-11-2013

Hi

In general I hardly hit anything to be honest I haven't broken anything for ages, I shall try the different wheel nuts, and possibly a front different full of cement!

Thanks for the help

Chris