Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 29-12-2013

Default Anyone got kf action

Thinking of getting a kf anyone got any track action driven by normal people not superstar racers cheers
Old 30-12-2013

I got my KF for christmas and it was raced on a carpet track, a tarmac track and an offroad-track, which is covered with this green "grass carpet". I am not a pro-driver, nor is my son, who mostly raced this car.

We both loved the KF right from the beginning. We build it based on the setup from Tom, EOS rd 1. We use the Core springs, as Tom.

Differences:
- Not knowing, what reversed wishbones are, we started with the kit "orientation" of them, but reversed makes handling a bit better.
- As tyres we used the pro-line 8228/8225 which are to be used for the EOS.
- For sure, we used the kit spur, 83teeth, and we used a 21 teeth pinion and a 8,5 motor.
- unfortunately the alloy rear conversion kit is out of stock, so we used the standard moulded ones.
- and we did not "drilled" the pistons. Standard size are 1,5mm and I have no idea where to buy a 1,65mm drill. 1,6 and 1,7mm is not an issue, but 1,65mm???
- The only big difference is the ride hight. As in my other thread, I still can`t set up a 18mm ride hight. It is somewhat 20mm front and 22mm rear. I have noticed that both shock mounts are "lower", so that you have to use the old shock mounts (from the Cat SX3 and the SV2) to get the 18mm.... maybe someone else knows a better trick....

During the 2 track days, we never had a real issue with this car. Unfortunately my son broke one front hub carrier during the last heat.

What will be added/changed?
- rear alloy mounts 4171
- rear alloy conversion set 4160
- maybe the alloy hub carrier 3605
- 81 teeth spur

Great car..... I was very, very skeptical, when I saw it the first time, but I really like it now.

But I have no idea, how it might run on a very low grip track. But for this there is the Cougar KR.......
Old 30-12-2013

hi
yes I got that wrong, long time since I used the imperial system
Neale
Old 30-12-2013

I've used my KF on astro which has been damp, wet and greasy. I've found the car to be really nice and easy to drive, very preditable even when the grip is low, in all I just love driving the car.

For outdoor tracks that at this time of year aren't high grip I would suggest using the ball diff and start with Tom Cockerills set up on Petit RC Robin Hood Raceway with low grip.
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Juergen, not sure why you've had that problem with ride height - I just wonder if it might be related to the size of the tyre?? I don't know the size of the Proline, but I've run my car with Schumacher mini spike rear and low profile staggar rib front and have no problem getting it down to 18ish mm.

One trick you could try would be to get a different lower spring seat - I know I have in the past used the Associated B4 cup as that allows the spring to sit lower. I haven't needed to use this on the KF, but it might help you - fyi it would be K1 rear tower you'd need to change to if you wanted to lift the rear shock up, SX3 won't fit.
Old 30-12-2013

Thx.

But: maybe it is common in the UK or USA, but not in the rest of the world.

And so, I think I will go for a 1,7mm or 1,6. I don`t think that a non-pro driver like me will ever notice a difference.
Old 30-12-2013

The proline tyres are very much the same size as the mini pins.
With the shock mounts, you are right. I have only compared the SX3 one with the AERO one. And the AERO one is at least 2mm "lower" and with this, it makes the car "higher" with the same length of the shock absorbers....

I will add some figures in the thread "setting the ride hight" here in the forum.

BTW: the rebound is still 50%... I will change that and then, I will check again.

But, anyway: the car was fun to drive!!
Old 30-12-2013

Kf and aero have the same rear tower
Old 30-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARB View Post
hi
1.65 mm is equal to 0.0649 inches or 1/64 inch, I dare say that a 1.65 mm can be brought but a 1/64 inch drill is a common drill size.
if this helps
Neale
1/64" (0.0156") equals 0.39mm, 1/16" (0.0469") equals approx 1.58mm. You can buy 1.65mm drill bits from Cromwell Tools for approx £2 each.
Old 30-12-2013

so are most people drilling rear shocks to 1.65mm ?
Old 30-12-2013

Jonathan,

I don`t think so...
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I drilled to 1.6.
Old 30-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
1/64" (0.0156") equals 0.39mm, 1/16" (0.0469") equals approx 1.58mm. You can buy 1.65mm drill bits from Cromwell Tools for approx £2 each.
---off-topic----
Sorry for being a bit "nasty". But reading these lines, I know, why we have the metric system here. I think, it is high time to standardize it everywhere in the world...
Old 30-12-2013

Default Damper piston mods

I added 3 x 0.85mm holes instead of drilling the original ones and dropped the oil rating down.