Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default How to end up with an X5

Hi all,

Which is the best donor car for the X5, XX4 or XXX4 and which editions etc?

Also, couple of quick questions:

1. Is it easy to still get Losi parts for the bits which stay original?
2. Am I right in thinking cells is 4+2?
3. Other than the xx4/xxx4 etc donor car and the conversion, what is needed to get the X5 working top notch?

Cheers all,

Dave
Old 12-05-2008

The best donor car is the XX4, what edition depends on what spec X5 you want, but I would say go for a XX4WE.

As far as I am aware every spare is still available that you will need.

Yup it is 4+2 cells.

I would get the shock tower strengtheners, a one-way (personal preference) and upgrade the standard xx4 front drive shafts to CVD's.

Hope this helps
Old 12-05-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

just to echo what tom said, xx4we was are choice of donor car,make sure you use the double pulley tensioner it's a big improvement on std single one, and we prefer to run the xx4 layshaft pulley. personnel pref on the last one,not had any real probs on losi bits.and the shock braces are worth there weight in gold imho,
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Can the XX4's be found anywhere to get as a donor car?

If not how much difference does it make going for the XXX4?

Reason I ask is I know where I can get a XXX4 for £160 in the states, but only seen an XX4 in one place, @£250ish!
Old 12-05-2008

Yeh a XXX4 can be used, but you will need the XXX4 - X5 conversion kit which is an extra £110 at DMS Racing. The XX4 is normally used as it has the same suspension, steering, shocks, diffs, etc as the X5. Whereas the XXX4 shares less parts with the X5.

You don't necessarily need a new kit to convert, and XX4's can usually be picked up quite cheap second hand. XX4's are quite hard to come by new as I *think* Losi has stopped making a kit, but still sell all the parts.
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers guys, some stuff to mull over there, its the squared kit which is newer yeah?

Quite tempted if the parts are available still!
Old 12-05-2008

Yeh the squared kit is the newer one. I don't think Losi has discontinued any XX4 parts so they should still all be available.
Old 12-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Definately agree with Tom there, the XX4 has so much more in commom with the X5 so the "XX4 conversion" (XFK012) is £110 less (as Tom said) at £129.95, add that to a reasonable condition used XX4 (£120/150) and you are looking at a resonable price, PLUS a lot of unused XX4 parts with a re-sale value for you to recover some money too.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 12-05-2008

Darren, can you confirm that all the XX4 parts needed are still available from Losi/Horizon?
Old 12-05-2008

i have a almost new xx4we if your interested pm me
Old 13-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Darren, can you confirm that all the XX4 parts needed are still available from Losi/Horizon?
They are indeed mate, in ample supply at the moment too.....no shortages on anything (touch wood)
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 13-05-2008

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Everything said above is pretty much spot on, just thought I could add some insight.

When we first conceptualized the X - 5 back in mid-2003, XX4's were easily available for pretty cheap. So that's what the X - 5 was really designed to use. We only made the "XXX4" conversion kits because customers asked us to. To make the kit, we just took the cost of the regular "XX4" conversion kit and added our cost on all the extra parts we had to include.

The "squared" kits are the newer ones, and improved over the original versions. All X - 5 kits sold now are "squared."

As for how to make the car "top notch"... SHY put together a great comprehensive listing of nearly everything you could do to the car here: http://www.ymr.no/X5tuning.htm.
The things I would recommend:
Suspension stuff
The Associated B2 front brace on the bulkhead and the X Factory caster block screws make the front end close to bomb-proof. Carbon fiber shocktower braces (I only run one on the front; rear towers seem to hold up well for me).
Driveline stuff
The DDP machined gears are nice, but I actually run all three stock pulleys and they're holding up fine. The double-idler pulley kit is no longer available because Losi discontinued the larger H.D. tensioner pulleys the kit was based off of. However, you can acheive much the same effect by just purchasing a second (regular) idler pulley and the longer XXX4 yellow belt (part number A3213; the stock kit uses the XXXS belt A3209). The final driveline thing is to build/install a roller bearing on the front of the drive pulley; its easy to do but hard to explain. See one of the team guys to see what I mean; does anyone have a picture they could post?

That's a lot of information there, I hope it all makes sense? Please, post away if you have more questions or comments!
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

I'll try not to arouse Jimmy's ire by making this too much of an advert. I simply don't know why anyone with a xx-4 would fail to convert, just from the ease of working on the car.

Chris, Dan, Tom all were immediately one main higher when they switched.

Ellis has won now on two completely different tracks, the Indoor Finals and OzFest, with consistant high National finishes last year and another Indoor Finals win.

OK, enough. Sorry Jimmy...

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 13-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
just to echo what tom said, xx4we was are choice of donor car,make sure you use the double pulley tensioner it's a big improvement on std single one, and we prefer to run the xx4 layshaft pulley. personnel pref on the last one,not had any real probs on losi bits.and the shock braces are worth there weight in gold imho,
I just run the stock single tensioner, works fine. The most work is actually to bullet proof the losi parts such as the towers and front arms. X Factory will have our own strenghteners soon as well to help out.

I run a DDP rear pulley, xx4 drive gear and stock front pulley but I would advise the bearing roller on the drive pulley, that is the only thing you need to stop the belt skipping.

E.
Old 13-05-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

See this excellent article written by some sort of god like genius...................

http://www.one-ten-rcforums.com/4wdr...ic.php?id=1540

Nortech is ACE!
Old 13-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
I just run the stock single tensioner, works fine. The most work is actually to bullet proof the losi parts such as the towers and front arms. X Factory will have our own strengtheners soon as well to help out.

I run a DDP rear pulley, xx4 drive gear and stock front pulley but I would advise the bearing roller on the drive pulley, that is the only thing you need to stop the belt skipping.

E.
does the DDP rear pulley help stop belt skip Ellis, and are they much better than the std ones.?? haven't tried them yet, we found that with the wider belt and the double pulley it stopped 90% of the belt skip under hard brakes.never had any probs under acceleration,we did try the roller but left it of when we ran the double pulley, the belt tensioner Dan posted is a god send ,
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

The length of that post is something to behold. But God-like???

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 13-05-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

note my small g Chazz

Nortech is ACE!
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

You're never bored on your spare time when you're hooked on RC...

Here's some "how to's" if you wanna go all the way!

http://www.ymr.no/10ortips.htm

XX4s are easy to find on ebay, no problem!

Btw. if you're thinking X-5. Check out the X-6 as well! The X-5 is very good, fast & easy to maintain. You still can do good with most cars these days. The X-6 is WAY better than all those rear motor cars!!! I've seen the light!!! I don't believe too much in God, but boy do I believe in those Sinclair guys!

The best guys in the world will win with any equipment. But us mere mortals really need all the help we can get!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 13-05-2008
Lee-Mag

I think that thread is just what we have come to expect from Super_dan.

Good stuff though Dan, its a great source of info for anyone who is thinking about or building an x5

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com