Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 02-05-2018

Default Basic YZ2 DT setup help needed

Hi there, looking for some help with setting up my YZ2 DT. Am just returning to the world of RC after 20+ year absence and things have changed a lot since the days of the Tamiya Boomerang etc! Now I realise set ups will differ from track to track and weather conditions, but assume a fairly tight and twisty outdoor astro track as a start point. Aside from the right tyre choice and shock tension (which i think i have sorted out as best i can), what are the 3 main things or first priorities I should be focussing on getting sorted to help with overall handling? Feels like I am tinkering with an F1 car .. Not sure if I've supplied enough info but be interested to know if there are some primary elements that need to be sorted before refining things at a more micro level. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2018

I'm a fellow returnee however mine is 30 years so I feel your pain somewhat. It's gone from toe in/out on my Frog to 5 bazillion combinations of everything before we even start to talk electronic settings too!

First off, I'm by far an expert on setup as I'm still learning too, but the DT is a dirt edition rather than astro / carpet version. Has it still got the ball diff in it? For astro most run a gear diff with varying weights of oil to tune the feel of it.

Most 2WD runners use Schumacher low pro cut staggers front on narrow rims, and yellow mini spike dry / ballistic buggy green in the wet - but this depends on what works on your local track.

Damper oil front and rear plays a big part in setup, as does spring rate before you touch the ride height

There's a bunch of setup files you can see here:

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo...YokomoYZ2.html

What I've done so far is start with a base starting setup, then work on my consistency. Once I've stopped crashing every lap I've experimented with settings.

I'm sure there will be other more learned folk along soon to help but as I'm in the same boat I'd thought I'd share what I've found so far. Welcome back!
Old 03-05-2018

Nothing wrong with that advice

petiterc is the go-to site for car setups. A few weeks ago I had a practice / shakedown session at Mendip RC raceway (med grip bumpy astro, dry) and this setup seemed to work reasonably well:

It was very 'safe' though. This was running low profile cut staggers on the front, minispikes on the rear, yellow compound all round. If I was running it for a race meeting I'd look at firming it up.
Old 03-05-2018

Thanks for the steer towards petit rc guys. As noted I have the dirt (DT) version of the yz2, and without wanting to sound a complete idiot, is using this on a dry astro track going to be materially different to running the CA version? Like are we talking 30% harder or 10% or?? Wondering about the size of the variance between the two versions, i.e., am i almost driving with one arm tied behind my back by using the DT on a dry track.. Thanks again..
Old 03-05-2018

I wouldn't worry too much unless you want to be regional A final contender material. Looking at the DT layout it looks almost identical to the Bmax2MR, a buggy which did very well on astro only a few years ago.
Old 03-05-2018

thank you, much appreciated..
Old 04-05-2018

It won't steer as aggressively as a CA / DTM. But if you're finding your feet it might actually help you get quicker.

Having said that, at club meets I've had tight battles (on carpet) running my DTM against 'dirt' variants of the other popular chassis with less-than-ideal weight distributions, simply because the drivers of those cars have been more consistent with them. And consistency is key.
Old 30-07-2018

Default YZ2 DTM2 On throttle oversteer

Hi guys

i just got my DTM2 on the dirt track the other day.

Running stock box setup but tyres are Rear Blockades and Front Holeshot

The car is difficult to drive when you blip the accelerator the car will spin out or hard to countersteer.

Is this cause by the front tyre generating alot of grip?

Thanks
Old 31-07-2018

Are you running ball or gear diff?? Also slipper could be set too tight
Old 01-08-2018

Ball Diff, Slipper is adjusted just nice as the front end pop slightly only when i hold the rear wheels.