Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

Default Decent rattle can

Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy decent spray paint, I want to try an spray my body shell half decent this time so the paint doesn't fall off an flake after the slightest tap (doesn't help previous spray paint bought from wilkinsons lol) also do you key the body shell before spraying?
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

I'm no expert, but I have done approx. 4 or 5 shells recently using rattle cans. I've used Tamiya and it has been brilliant - no flaking at all, even with my poor driving and spectacular crashing.

I was advised to wash shell with fairy liquid before and allow to dry. I have masked with cheap b&q tape as well as most recently with liquid mask and have been able to do pretty good designs and fades (not to standards of experts, but enough to look good on a track)

Best advise would be to do "more thin layers" rather than fewer "thick layers"

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 27-06-2014

certainly many thin layers gives a more durable finish than thicker ones

I have had success with Fastrax, pactra and of course tamiya.

The important thing is preparation.
As others have said wash with warm soapy water. But then RINSE THOROUGHLY and allow to DRY COMPLETELY

When masking try to avoid touching the inside of the shell, and once masked I like to give the inside another quick wipe with a damp cloth.
I also wipe down after removing a masking layer to remove any sticky residue from the masking tape
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post
certainly many thin layers gives a more durable finish than thicker ones

I have had success with Fastrax, pactra and of course tamiya.

The important thing is preparation.
As others have said wash with warm soapy water. But then RINSE THOROUGHLY and allow to DRY COMPLETELY

When masking try to avoid touching the inside of the shell, and once masked I like to give the inside another quick wipe with a damp cloth.
I also wipe down after removing a masking layer to remove any sticky residue from the masking tape
does anyone know the best place to buy the paints as im not really sure where to look apart from fleabay but wanna make sure i get the right ones
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

The Tamiya paint for polycarbonate shells is the one. Presume other makes will also specify lexan or polycarb.
Florescent colours tend to look better IMO, but benefit from a coat of white over them (or under, depending on how you look at it) to make colours shine.
Because cans contain aerosol you may have to pay quite a bit for delivery so if you have a local shop better to call there and pick up rather than get delivered. If needing delivery then modelsport have always done me well

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 27-06-2014

MB models do all the Fastrax paints and I like them, not had good results with humbrol, the paint comes out to thick no matter what.

Use the others advice and make sure shells are clean and dry then try not to touch the inside, I then pop the colour of choice in some warm water which increases the pressure slightly, then warm the shell a little With a heat gun or hair dryer then light mist coats and flash off with heat gun again, hold the shell up to sunlight and you will see thin area's
Old 27-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
The Tamiya paint for polycarbonate shells is the one. Presume other makes will also specify lexan or polycarb.
Florescent colours tend to look better IMO, but benefit from a coat of white over them (or under, depending on how you look at it) to make colours shine.
Because cans contain aerosol you may have to pay quite a bit for delivery so if you have a local shop better to call there and pick up rather than get delivered. If needing delivery then modelsport have always done me well

I'd second that, always used tamiya sprays years ago and they were great, pectra was ok but the tamiya is far the easiest and best looking when finished
Old 27-06-2014

I've always used Pactra wich are good. Be carefull with the fluo colors : they really are more liquid than the other colors (so very thin layer, take your time) and they attack the other colors too (begin with the traditionnal color(s) and sray some layers of fluorescent covercoat - Pactra rc290 over it (them) as a protection).
Something very important too : NEVER use different brands of paints, we are talking about chemicals and there will be some bad reactions between them .
OR you can do it, but wait 24 h to be sure that the paint is 100 % dry.
Old 27-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Brewer View Post
doesn't help previous spray paint bought from wilkinsons lol
That will be why it flakes off as it will more than likely be an enamel type paint that you will buy from wilkos, you do need to buy a paint for polycarbonate as it will flex with the body

By far the best paint I think is the stuff tamiya do, it does cost a few pence more but is is worth it just make sure you get the PS part number

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...iya-paint.html

You can key the body with scotch brite or similar but don't go over the windows! Then clean with warm soapy water and rinse well

As mentioned spray light coats try to spray dark colours first if possible, flu and transparent colours will want backing usually with white but you can experiment with other colours like silver.
Old 27-06-2014

Lots of places sell Tamiya sprays:
http://www.rcshopsearch.co.uk/?s=tamiya+spray
Old 27-06-2014

another for tamiya rattle cans
Old 28-06-2014

Fast Finnish for me.