Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-07-2010

How can it have been years in the planing ? the A1 GP building has only recently become available with the demise of that series.
Some good stuff but also some awfull stuff, great an indoor tarmac track then ruin it by laying it out like a carpet track with plastic hose (might as well just laid down some carpet) what it needs is proper curbs just like any outdoor track.
Access will be severly limited at times even with a £600 membership, try getting there on the GP weekend !!.
This is purely a comercial venture and i dont see it bringing much to the sport (apart from raised costs) would be great to see Milton Keynes have a track back maybe the old SMTCC between Bedworth and M/K could be revived, they were always great meetings.

As has already been said most succesfull clubs start with there members with no thought of profit, just providing good facilities and racing for there members, £75 membership doesnt seem to bad but then add on BRCA membership, plus race fees (they wont be cheep) and the costs start to add up.
An absolutly fabulous venue for something like the worlds or euros, no worry about the weather and great for spectators, will have to wait and see when all the info is available of what is what.
Old 16-07-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I am trying to understand something here, so if anyone knows, please answer.

You pays your membership fee, decided to go up, mid week in the daytime for a bit of track time/testing, little Johnny comes along with mum and dad, who pays for him to have some track time, has no experience, so does the experienced racer have to share to track with arrive and drive toy players?
Old 17-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post

You pays your membership fee, decided to go up, mid week in the daytime for a bit of track time/testing, little Johnny comes along with mum and dad, who pays for him to have some track time, has no experience, so does the experienced racer have to share to track with arrive and drive toy players?
I would assume yes, but this could happen at any club in the uk?
Old 17-07-2010
Mad Member

[QUOTE=Bob Burr;394656]How can it have been years in the planing ?

Hi Bob,

you see to think i am telling porkys?

It has been years in the planning but finding the right venue was part of the wait.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 17-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post

There is more than one track.

so for real beginners they can race on the small track.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions that will get addressed as things progress.

We did discuss about the crossover between novices and pros on the track and there was lots of options.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 17-07-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUpton View Post
I would assume yes, but this could happen at any club in the uk?
not really, as must tracks don't do hire cars for a newb to have a go.... so the investment in hardware would show some commitment and some knowledge. What I was trying to get at was, do the centre visitors, who go there as an attraction, and then let little Johnny have a go, would it be on the same track as that set aside for 'racing'
Old 17-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy truman View Post
i found out alot of info from the guys setting up so if you want to ask some questions fire away.

I was eagerly awaiting PDA Mk 2 (along with many others I guess). Is this still on the cards Tony and will it be for 1/10th as well as 1/8th? (I hope so!) Not sure there is enough demand for 3 tenth offroad tracks in such close proximity?
Old 17-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
I was eagerly awaiting PDA Mk 2 (along with many others I guess). Is this still on the cards Tony and will it be for 1/10th as well as 1/8th? (I hope so!) Not sure there is enough demand for 3 tenth offroad tracks in such close proximity?
If anyone fancies building one near the Gloucester/Bristol area we would muchly appreciate that

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 17-07-2010

I think PDA mk2 is still a maybe... But think it will be focused on 1 8th offroad indoor.. But obviously you can run 10th on it with a few cut throughs.. Like the guys have done here it's all about finding the right venue.. We are still looking but will see how the moto arena does.
Old 17-07-2010

Guys, just to let you know, you do not have to be a member to use the facility. You just pay for what you want, if you are going to be a regular, it would work out cheaper to be a member. The gold package is limited to 300, this has huge benefits and works like a gym or golf club.

There will be loads of events and crossover with the circuit, and there are only 2 weekends that are disrupted, because of GP and MotoGp, but these are brilliant marketing platforms for our sport.

It all makes sense, when you think about it, loads of new people coming in to the sport, can only be good.
Old 17-07-2010

I am amazed about the lack of enthusiasm for this.
I have only learned about the track from this forum, but comments about sharing track time with "little johnny", really are irritating. How arrogant to assume the people who have researched, built and financed the project have no idea what they are doing!!!!!
The facilities look fantastic, better than any i have ever seen.
Old 17-07-2010

I totally agree with you. Little johnny was us once, and is the future as this place is. There are training tracks, and enough tracks to allow different formats. We should all be proud to be able to race at the centre of Silverstone.
Where is in the world is there anything like this? It allows us to race in top quality all year round, and how many new people will engage with the sport? We can't lose. No problem with nitro noise, or weather, superb access. Let's go.
Old 17-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lees View Post
I totally agree with you. Little johnny was us once, and is the future as this place is. There are training tracks, and enough tracks to allow different formats. We should all be proud to be able to race at the centre of Silverstone.
Where is in the world is there anything like this? It allows us to race in top quality all year round, and how many new people will engage with the sport? We can't lose. No problem with nitro noise, or weather, superb access. Let's go.
totally agree
Old 17-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

+1, totally agree

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 19-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
An indoor tarmac track in the UK, superb idea! Shame it looks like just a flat bit of tarmac with plastic barriers rather than a proper track with kerbs. Might be prepared to put up with that though to race on dry tarmac in the winter.
I queried them about this on Facebook. The plastic drainpipes are just to test the layout; they have custom-made track markings coming with kerbs, grass infills and rumble strips. So hopefully it will be as close as you can get to an outdoor track, but indoors.
Old 19-07-2010

My view on this (and it's shared by pretty much everyone at MKRCTC) is that this venture will explode onto the RC scene in about a month and will raise the bar for circuit racing in the UK (can't speak about offroad as it's not an area I have much knowledge in).

Financially, any RC income will be small change compared to the overall package, but it's "the experience" that's for sale. The dad and sons market during the weekend and the corporate market during the week.

I see 2 different operating modes (possibly 3) where there is the Mon-Fri hook up at the corporate package level with Silverstone and the centre is part of that with RC / Simulators etc running to a schedule.

At the weekend it will draw in many visitors and the "try before you buy" hook is huge! I'd like to believe that this is where we can come in as an organised club. How many RTR's are there out there which end up being mothballed because there's no organised, competative racing and little Johnny gets bored or breaks something?

I'm of the view that for these visitors who come for the whole experience and at the same time watch organised racing with drivers in similar ability heats will be more inclined to progress from the "try before you buy" to "purchase, return and learn" which will swell the club membership and simultaneously bring additional exposure to the centre.

I can't see any downsides to this and assuming we can get the commericals worked out, MKRCTC will be looking to take the plunge and work with the centre to manage around the teething problems as things fall into place.

Dave
Old 19-07-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Treacy View Post
My view on this (and it's shared by pretty much everyone at MKRCTC) is that this venture will explode onto the RC scene in about a month and will raise the bar for circuit racing in the UK (can't speak about offroad as it's not an area I have much knowledge in).

Financially, any RC income will be small change compared to the overall package, but it's "the experience" that's for sale. The dad and sons market during the weekend and the corporate market during the week.

I see 2 different operating modes (possibly 3) where there is the Mon-Fri hook up at the corporate package level with Silverstone and the centre is part of that with RC / Simulators etc running to a schedule.

At the weekend it will draw in many visitors and the "try before you buy" hook is huge! I'd like to believe that this is where we can come in as an organised club. How many RTR's are there out there which end up being mothballed because there's no organised, competative racing and little Johnny gets bored or breaks something?

I'm of the view that for these visitors who come for the whole experience and at the same time watch organised racing with drivers in similar ability heats will be more inclined to progress from the "try before you buy" to "purchase, return and learn" which will swell the club membership and simultaneously bring additional exposure to the centre.

I can't see any downsides to this and assuming we can get the commericals worked out, MKRCTC will be looking to take the plunge and work with the centre to manage around the teething problems as things fall into place.

Dave
Dave, I see that it says BRCA at the bottom of the home page of their website .......... where does the BRCA fit into all of this?
Old 19-07-2010

I understand that there have been some idea discussions around the facility with the BRCA but not aware of any "sanction / approval" but the BRCA don't do that anyway.
Old 19-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Treacy View Post
I understand that there have been some idea discussions around the facility with the BRCA but not aware of any "sanction / approval" but the BRCA don't do that anyway.

The website clearly has "BRCA" at the bottom, which is a bit misleading if they have no involvement.
Old 19-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you have any questions regarding the BRCA's involvement/sanctioning/approval of anything I would suggest contacting the BRCA Executive Committee in the first instance rather than presuming odds and sods

Saves lots of confusion later on down the line

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.