Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 07-06-2010

Default Using a 540 in mod heat?

Hi, i was wondering if you are allowed to race 540 motors in a 2wd mod heat as i've bust my brushless stuff?

Cheers
Old 07-06-2010

Hi, yes you can use your 540 motor in the mod. class.

Mike.
Old 08-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by j pearce View Post
Hi, i was wondering if you are allowed to race 540 motors in a 2wd mod heat as i've bust my brushless stuff?

Cheers

I have used a 540 in 2wd mod several times it is still possible to be competitive, depending a bit on the track layout.
Old 08-06-2010

ok cheers guys, will be there next meeting.
Old 08-06-2010
YORCC legend

What about the other way round? As a 540 racer, I notice a few others useing brushless systems. What's the definitive rule on this?
Old 08-06-2010
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Brushless is fine. The motor is supposed to be 13.5t or something. Mike will know the rules better than me.
Old 09-06-2010

Hang on a second Col, that's not my understanding, at least on champ nights.

13.5 brushless (or whatever the 540 version is) would perform better than the basic sealed can things currently used. I think Mike Riley used one last time out and it flew along (when Ben drove it anyway )

Surley the object of the 540 class is that people can compete on equal terms on a budget. If people start splashing out on brushless systems and fancy lipos it will put other people off racing.
Old 09-06-2010

try 17.5 in the silver can class
Old 09-06-2010

One suggestion made a while back was for there to be a slower brushless class so that you aren’t just being lapped constantly by the super fast cars, but are instead in a sort of middle range class which could remain more competitive (i know thats not 100% appropriate to the origional question but it's still a thought).
Old 10-06-2010
YORCC legend

My understanding (as a newcomer) was that motors in the 540 class had to be basic sealed can types. I swapped out the Reedy motor that came with my B5 for a Saturn 20T. There's no way that's ever going to keep up with a brushless, surely?
Old 15-06-2010

I Remember at the AGM the reasons for this class is to keep costs down. so brushless was not allowed. A 13.5T brushless costs considerably more than a saturn 20T and the ESC to go with it is even more. I think we need to look at the options for a 'middle spec' class. The 540 class needs to be there as the starting point. The gap between 540 and modified is HUGE, a mid way point could be popular.
Old 15-06-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Taken from Yorcc website:

Along with two & four wheel drive modified classes we run an all encompassing 540 Class, for 'sealed can' 540 Johnson/Mabuchi type motors including Sport Tuned Tamiya, Traxxas Stinger & HPI Saturn 540 motors. This is an ideal class with which to start, not having the expense of a modified motor. This class is one of the best attended, and racing is very competitive.
Old 15-06-2010
Awesome Admin

The entire argument falls apart when an RTR (the ultimate beginner starting point?) can be bought with a brushless motor and esc already installed for the same as brushed.
The rules as they stand now need enforcing and clarifying.
Old 15-06-2010

No it doesn't !!

How much does it cost to by an HPI 20T motor and brushed speedo? £30 ??

How much does it cost to buy the brushless equivalent (which will perform much better) £120+ ??

The 540 class, as pointed out above, is for beginners, those on a budget, and tight gits like me. It should not turn into the electronic eqivalent of the arms race!
Old 15-06-2010

Well, my point was that some of the people who currently race with brushless systems have shown interest in a slower brushless heat so that it is more competitive within the medium budget experienced drivers, not the beginners.
Old 17-06-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
No it doesn't !!

How much does it cost to by an HPI 20T motor and brushed speedo? £30 ??

How much does it cost to buy the brushless equivalent (which will perform much better) £120+ ??

The 540 class, as pointed out above, is for beginners, those on a budget, and tight gits like me. It should not turn into the electronic eqivalent of the arms race!
In a way i agree with Col, you can buy a rc10 b4.1 rtr with 2.4 g for £180 which in my eyes is very cheap and ideal for a beginer getting into the hobby.
what would you do if someone who never raced before, turned up with one? Put them in a modified heat, and totally scare them senseless and put them off the hobby. Or let sense prevail and put them in a 540 heat.
I know rules are rules, but i think they could be changed to accomadate this, with the ever demise of brushed being taken over by brushless its the way forward. Maybe we should discuss this at the next agm.
Old 17-06-2010
Awesome Admin

Bugger me! Daz speaks without taking the piss out of some-one!
Old 18-06-2010
YORCC legend

I can see the point of that but when I turned up for the first time with my B4 rtr, it was pointed out to me that the stock Reedy motor didn't fit with the 540 rules so I bought a Saturn 20T. Why should brushless owners be any different? Just because your car came with a certain motor, doesn't mean it has to race with it.

Surely it renders the whole class dead in the water if brushless motors of any kind are allowed in; at least until they become as cheap and plentiful are a ten quid 540?

I'm not going to sit there and be thrashed by a brushless-equipped rtr car, week in week out, while I plod along with my 540. I'll just go out and buy a brushless too. Oh hang on... I can't afford one...

I'll get my coat.
Old 20-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
I can see the point of that but when I turned up for the first time with my B4 rtr, it was pointed out to me that the stock Reedy motor didn't fit with the 540 rules so I bought a Saturn 20T. Why should brushless owners be any different? Just because your car came with a certain motor, doesn't mean it has to race with it.

Surely it renders the whole class dead in the water if brushless motors of any kind are allowed in; at least until they become as cheap and plentiful are a ten quid 540?

I'm not going to sit there and be thrashed by a brushless-equipped rtr car, week in week out, while I plod along with my 540. I'll just go out and buy a brushless too. Oh hang on... I can't afford one...

I'll get my coat.
I see what you mean when you said this thread went off on a tangent last night - very much so. And yes, I agree that it’s pointless having a 540 class if people use brushless motors. In my mind, we should change the class system from 540 and modified to essentially turn ranges i.e. 3.5t - 7.5t, 8.5t - 13.5t or something along those lines. Or maybe this is just overcomplicating the system?
Old 20-06-2010
YORCC legend

Sad truth is though.. nothing will stop me just being rubbish! I managed to miss the transponder loop at one point in the final last night. Doh....