Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > XRAY

Old 06-10-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
I'm pretty sure you will have to choose another brand then

Bent
Oh noooooooooooooooooooo!
I am sure it will be a really nice kit. As I am not racing much at the moment, I am not in a hurry. I'll take a closer look for sure as soon as I can get my hands on one of those, though.
Old 31-10-2016

Last edited by BentKa; 14-04-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 31-10-2016
Mad Member

That's a nice truck for sure! As I've got no first-hand experience with Xray's off-road kits, I'd like to know how the chassis with hard composite chassis brace compares to a full aluminum chassis. When it came to buggies in the last few years, I did not like plastic noses after I had tried a one piece chassis. Switching the plastic nose on the VBC Racing Firebolt to the Team Bearcat aluminum one absolutely transformed the car on astro, whereas it did really well on dirt right from the box. Some of my buddies had similar experiences and got rid of their old B-Max2 MRs and B5M because they missed the sharp handling of their previous rides with full aluminum chassis, so it is not only me...
There are many things I like on the XT2's design, others I don't. In most cases, option parts are readily available to stop my worries or thirst for bling, i.e. metal diff internals, cf battery strap. Except for the mixed feelings about the chassis brace, my biggest gripe is the looks of the composite shock towers and body mounts, but that's just me.
Is it likely that Xray or an aftermarket manufacturer will release some cf shock towers if not an aluminum nose? I am not familiar if there is an aftermarket as most of Xray's stuff has a first-class reputation, e.g. the brilliant spring steel parts. Thanks in advance for replying, anyone!
Old 31-10-2016

Old 01-11-2016
Mad Member

That's what I suspected. Xray is not known for being a slouch when it comes to testing.
There may very well be one of these under our Christmas tree, unless there is a winter series kicking off earlier...

Thanks for replying so quickly, Bent!
Old 04-11-2016
Mad Member

What options are you running on EOS carpet, any brass or graphite composite parts?
Old 07-11-2016

Old 07-11-2016

Old 07-11-2016
Mad Member

Thanks! Truck is on my Xmas wishlist.
Edit: As a nearby on-road track has opened its doors again after 9ish years, it is time to get a plastic fantastic touring car ready to play. I'll stay tuned and watch how ST develops, though.

Last edited by mes; 22-11-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 21-11-2016

As the truck got the option runing the shocks front and rear on the rear wishbones.if so have you tryed it on carpet.
cheers
Old 09-01-2017
Mad Member

I was also wondering about that, but as it seems it has not, or at least not with the kit body. As STs in general have tons of steering, this will most probably not be an issue, though. Can't wait for my kit to arrive and get it built and painted. Arena33 is about to open its doors and is not too far away...

Update: My kit arrived yesterday, and I finished installing the steering ballcup mod and calibrating the electronics a couple of minutes ago. Negatives first: First, I think the shocks are not up to the rest of the truck's quality standard, but they seem to be pretty good nonetheless. Second, I wonder if it had cost Xray an arm and a leg to include another hole in the CF steering plates, considering the parts' premium prices. I'll put that down to a keen business sense...
On the positive side: Everything else! The second-hand T1R I used to have more than a decade ago was a great car at its time, but I feel Xray's quality has become the best there is in the electric RC market. Quality comes at a price as does manufacturing in Europe, but at least in most cases (shocks with moulded internals and non-coated metals, there is room for improvement!) you get what you pay for. Of course, I'd prefer to see aluminium parts on the steering and ball stud mounts, but the quality ball bearings included in the kit make up for this at least a little.

Bottom line: I am happy that I did not hold my breath for the new AE and TLR trucks to arrive. When it comes to parts quality, I doubt anyone including my favourite Japanese manufacturers is currently on the same level as Xray. Another factor for now is the fact that racing on astro and carpet has only just begun to take off in the US, which most likely will be reflected in the as yet unreleased trucks' performance on these surfaces for the time being. Before even driving the XT2 I can rest assured that it excels on EOS carpet and that I will be able to get all the support I may need when I join the crowd of racers at the next EOS race in Germany. Keep it up, guys!

Last edited by mes; 12-01-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 13-03-2017
Mad Member

After driving the truck for the last two weekends at Arena 33, I can see that that parts listed by Bent would have come in handy to unleash the XT2's full potential on carpet, as would the protoype carbon fibre front stiffeners seen in some EOS coverage. I don't want to say 'told you so', but I would have preferred a one-piece chassis alone for the fact that there is no space in the truck to put in some sticky weights in front of the servo. Another thing I would have liked to try was running the rear shocks in front of the shock tower, which is not possible with the nice kit body. I guess I have to try if that JConcepts T4 Finnisher body in my cellar can be made to work...(Edit: front end too short.)
Durability is a big plus, with the exception of the spoiler. Be sure to add some wing buttons or an extra layer of scrap Lexan under the mounting screws if you tend to flip over the truck as often as I do; that's an issue on any ST, though.
Yes, I am still convinced that the XT2 currently is the gold standard of carpet ST racing, but I am also sure that competitive racers will not be happy for long without checking off Bent's to-buy list. I like the truck quite a lot, but I am still contemplating whether to commit more funds into it or not, not least due to the fact that the popularity of ST varies a lot between meetings and literally duelling an entire weekend is not that much fun. At least there seems to be a full grid at the next two races I registered for, EOS Rd 4 and NORC Rd 1.
Update on durability: The front sway bar/body mounting plate and the rear body posts seem to be weak points for drivers of various skill levels. Also, I had an odd incident in which I slipped sideways into a fence and broke both the front and rear roll centre mounts. With the long arms on a stadium truck, I expected to break those parts before long, but both at the same time was a bit of a surprise. As my racing season will be over soon due to work, I sold the truck just a few days after fixing all of the above issues I experienced myself. For me, the XT2 must be the most controversial kit in almost 30 years into RC: I think it is a really good product, but I am glad it is gone...

Last edited by mes; 23-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 22-05-2018

Soo, what are the updates on the 2018 version?
Old 22-05-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikke hond View Post
Soo, what are the updates on the 2018 version?
A few new screws, 😂
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 22-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
A few new screws, 😂
Why do you sell your XT2?
Old 23-05-2018
Mad Member

Quote: