Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 14-08-2015

Default Futaba MC112b speed control - Help

Used to run one of these when I started RC racing, managed to pick a working one up for my Ultima Pro revival

The ESC runs on Nicads, can anyone tell me if it would run off NIMH or LIPO, I want to have a saddle pack battery Formation to keep the original look

Thanks in advance
StevieG

Last edited by StevieG; 14-08-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 14-08-2015

my first speedo !! With NiMh no problem, just don't drive too much time but you will burn it with LiPo's, too hot.
Old 15-08-2015

I think it was my first commercial one also, and it got upgraded with 2 extra mos-fets too.

It used to run pretty hot when used to race: even with the 1300 Mah batteries of those times. So whichever batterytype you go for: don't go crazy on the motor and after 3 to 4 minutes check the temperature = every minute or it will die quickly.
Old 15-08-2015
Mad Member

It will run any battery below 8.4v, the battery doesn't push power through the ESC, the ESC draws the power from the battery that the motor asks for. As long as the motor isn't too low a wind it will run happily. Just remember if you are using lipo it is advised to use a lipo low voltage alarm so you don't damage the lipo.
Old 15-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
It will run any battery below 8.4v, the battery doesn't push power through the ESC, the ESC draws the power from the battery that the motor asks for. As long as the motor isn't too low a wind it will run happily. Just remember if you are using lipo it is advised to use a lipo low voltage alarm so you don't damage the lipo.

True, though the battery plays a role. It can act as a current limiter, NiCad and NiMh can handle much lower peak currents, because voltage starts to sag then. This limits overall power that the battery can deliver to the ESC and the motor. A LiPo can handle much higher peak currents, with voltage holding up better. So you can get higher current running through the motor and ESC than with a NiCad setup, and motor and ESC can run hotter as a result. Apart from observing low voltage, it's wise to also check motor and ESC temps.
Old 15-08-2015

Default Mc112B

Thanks for all the advice guys.

This one I'm going easy on, I was thinking of using a Tamiya Sport Tuned internal brush motor, less than 27T. I want to keep it original as I can

Its going in a Kyosho Ultima Pro, not planning to race it just use it now and again.

I also have another Pro which is going to be Lipo with a newer ESC so I can not worry too much.

Thanks again
StevieG
Old 15-08-2015

I run all my old esc's and Msc's with lipo's..I've never had any problems..as terry says the esc draws power from the battery so as long as you ain't trying to run it flat you should have no problems...I race the things for 5 minutes and I'm only drawing out 2000+ mah out of a 5000 mah Lipo so I don't even use s low voltage cutoff..(I'm naughty!....)....
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 15-08-2015

1 other thing that we did to these speedies was to rewire them with 12 g wire, I ran winds as low as 11 turn with 2000 mi ah no ads no problem at all.
I've just managed to pick 1 of these up recently almost brand new in a procat so will be keen to here how you get on with it