Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 23-10-2011

Default Liquid mask - cloudy residue ??

First time using liquid mask, peeled it off the areas i left masked out and it seems to have left a cloudy residue on the lexan. Have wiped it over and its better but still cloudy.

Is there anything i can use to remove it or polish it out ?? Not to fussed but would be nice if i could get it sorted.
Old 23-10-2011
Mad Member

Never seen that before ? Did you key the area up first or anything ? Are you sure it's on the inside of the shell and not something that's happened to the outside while the mask has been on so you couldn't notice it ?

Have you got any spare lexan ? If so paint the liquid mask on that, the same amount as you've applied to the shell, let dry out, remove a section of it ? Is it doing the same ? If so paint on that area with a colour you want to use on the shell ? Does it still show ? If so I guess you could remove the whole lot, wash the shell again, start again or just risk painting it anyway ???

My paintwork thread
Old 23-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Never had that before, are you sure you have lifted the liquid mask, and not just a film of paint?

What liquid mask?
Old 23-10-2011
Mad Member

Also, you have put it on thick enough ? It doesn't come off well if it's too thin ???

My paintwork thread
Old 23-10-2011

Agreed I've never had this before either but sounds like you may not of lifted the mask and you have just lifted some paint??

Also what brand of liquid mask are you using?
Old 23-10-2011

Definately lifted the mask and the paint, the shell looked fine before putting it on, washed off and prepped as instructions on the RCS site (its the RCS liquid mask i've used)

Just seems to have almost dulled the lexan down or something, most strange. Thought it was the norm and tried to wipe it off but still there. I applied the mask as the instructions tell you with the sponge and a couple of layers. Probably not quite thick enough but done its job, just seems to have left this dull sheen.

Like i said not to fussed but would like to know what i may have done to cause this so i know for next time
Old 23-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I couldn't possibly tell you whats happened, maybe post a pic up of it?

I do a lot of shells, use the RCS LM, and never encountered the problem you have said, and my prep is to rinse shells with hot water, wash with Fairy Liquid, rinse with hot water, dry and apply four coats of the LM.
Old 23-10-2011

could also be static, rcs has body prep which gets rid of that

Custom Shell Airbrushing - Outlaw Graphics

Old 23-10-2011

Only thing I've seen 'dull' the lexan is a solvent attacking it, what did you use to clean and prep the shell?
Did you clean the outside with anything abrasive, or harsh chemical?
I use RCS mask and never seen it dull the lexan, even if it's on too thin, you can roll it off easily.
Old 23-10-2011

Just warm slightly soapy water, then washed out with clean plain water and dried off with paper towels. I masked out 4 areas and only the windscreen area is affected so i think i've maybe not done something right on this bit
Old 23-10-2011
Mad Member

check the film on the outside, sometimes this can get clouded when forming etc
deffinately nothing to do with the liquid mask i will assure you.

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 29-10-2011
Super Moderator

Hmmmm
Same sort of thing has just happened to the shell i have just painted, the mask came off fine but seems to have reacted with the lexan as you can see in the picture
Shell was washed & dried properly, 3 coats of mask brushed on, then design cut out, sprayed first areas no probs, removed rest of the mask for the main colour & would the paint stick properly? would it hell, had a nightmare with it but i put this down to using a spray can for this part where as the first section was done with the airbrush, finished it off last night & let it dry over night, removed the window masks this morning & it has left this on the windows, have tried scraping it off lightly with the scalpal & have tried w spirit on it but nothing will budge it, can't see my mate being happy with it when i give it to him tomorrow
Now don't get me wrong im not knocking rcs mask as it has always worked great for me & the same bottle did my new shell last week perfectly so i just don't get why it would suddenly happen with this 1
Any ideas guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29102011976.JPG (29.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 29-10-2011

I bought a 2nd hand car with a new painted shell on and the windows had that very same cloud on them. I removed it all with a bit of acetone.
Old 29-10-2011
Super Moderator

Thanks Chris will give it a go if i can get hold of some
Old 29-10-2011

Never seen that before. I've used RCS mask on plenty of different shells and its never caused any sort of reaction, nor have I ever had any trouble peeling it off.
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...ab=AllFeedback
Old 29-10-2011
Super Moderator

Me neither jedi it's always sweet stuff to use so it has me baffled, hopefully some acetone will sort it out, i don't get why it didn't affect the rest of the shell as it was all masked at the start which makes me think it's not the masks fault but mine, could it be a reaction to being heated when i hair dried the shell inbetween coats? although i never had it too close to the shell
Old 29-10-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

looks like the liquid mask is still on there
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

I've not used Acetone on these shells before, I'd test it on a bit of scrap first. I normally use lighter fluid, available from your local friendly tobacconists or art shops sell it in small white cans.

Also +1 to what big red has said, it looks like the mask is still on there, like it's delaminated itself when you've taken it off and it's removed layers 2 & 3 but not the first layer you applied ?

I've heat dried LM so many times and never had a problem, infact the only problem I had with it was when I put a solid 2k colour over it, that ****ed it up properly !

Out of interest what body shells is this happening on ? Is there anything common there ? Something different about there own structure that's causing this ? Clutching at straws now to be honest, without seeing it. Have the manufacturers started to put window masks in and now told us ???

If it is masking left there get some tape, masking ideally although might not be sticky enough, duct tape maybe ? Or even sellotape should help to lift it ??? Can you feel it if you run your finger over it ?

My paintwork thread
Old 29-10-2011
Super Moderator

It does look like the mask is still there but it feels completly smooth inside, no bumps
Hi Ian
It is the new lazer sp2 shell, just come out
I have tried picking at the shell with the scalpal but it is just scratching the plastic, not lifting anything, will try some lighter fluid when i go to the shops later, cheers for the suggestion
Old 29-10-2011
Banned

The only problems I've ever heard of using liquid mask is: if it's not mixed/shaken well enough before application, and if the shell isn't cleaned properly prior to painting to remove the mold-release agent (usually done with dish soap).

So my guess is the mold-release wasn't fully removed, and in this case (if the lighter fluid doesn't work) my suggestion would be to try rubbing alcohol. Either shouldn't hurt the lexan, and remove any base grease/mask agents still on the lexan.