Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 21-05-2010

Default Team Associated RC10 re release could happen?:)?!

Since Tamiya have been redoing all the dodgy buggies we loved as kids back in the day I was thinking, well why hasn't the most famous race buggy ever been re-made?. So I emailed AE about this the other day, and the reply I got was a bit interesting. Apparently they get emails about this very often and it's not beyond the scope of happening, not if there's enough demand for it and the guy that replied suggested people keep on asking.

The idea I put forward was a re-release of the 1990 team car, I felt one if the original alloy tub cars with the stealth box would be all around the most desirable model to re release, something that is nylon and could be dyed, there was just something special about the white nylon parts.

Anyway I'm sure there's tons of people thinking the same as me so if we all get together on this it seems like one day it could happen. Even if you prefer the original car if they are going that close it wouldn't be much extra effort to do a couple different variations.

So who would be up for that? what's everyones thoughts?, with the price of a good used near mint vintage RC10 already matching what a new one would cost and there being good demand for those it makes sense to just make them again. I guess it would be sensible to change to a modern wheel diameter or at least include the parts to do that in the kit but I don't think anything else would need or want to change
Old 21-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It would be interesting and the B2/B3 wheels would give you that modern wheel size so no new tooling there either!
Old 21-05-2010

its a bad idea i spent hundreds on a vintage rc10 ce edition with the upgraded stealth diff. tamiya killed the vintage market with the re release of their cars they should leave it alone i think. just my opinion.
Old 21-05-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

The Kinwald version is the best one, so everyone should ask for that.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 21-05-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10fan View Post
its a bad idea i spent hundreds on a vintage rc10 ce edition with the upgraded stealth diff. tamiya killed the vintage market with the re release of their cars they should leave it alone i think. just my opinion.
I think the exorbitant prices people were asking for used plastic cars is what killed the vintage market.
For every single person that was angry over the Tamiya re-releases, there were 50 others quite happy about being able to get their hands on something vintage without having to take out a second mortgage.
Old 21-05-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I understand that all the tooling has gone for the ancient RC10...
Old 21-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrob View Post
I think the exorbitant prices people were asking for used plastic cars is what killed the vintage market.
For every single person that was angry over the Tamiya re-releases, there were 50 others quite happy about being able to get their hands on something vintage without having to take out a second mortgage.
Totally agree, plus the re-releases provided hard to find parts for those struggling to complete a restoration.
Old 21-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
thats what i heard aswell would be excellent if it did happen though
Old 21-05-2010

I have a near mint team car and a good modified graphite car with the original trans in it. But I'd still get a new one if you could buy one. Then I could actually drive the things and race vintage class without having a phobia about wreaking them, knowing I could get parts easily would make my day.

I've asked again and the original moulds are gone from the building/old rc10 factory, but I think we all realised they wouldn't be in the states anymore. Still no ones said they don't exsist anymore so that's a little bit encouraging. I linked them to this thread so maybe they can give a bit more ideas about if the moulds are still kicking around somewhere.

Edit: he thinks Thunder Tiger have the original moulds, I guess they took them with all the rest of the stuff. I wonder how you talk to Thunder Tiger?
Old 22-05-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Molds and tooling for the "original" gold tub first release car are, yes, gone. But the later 1990s version/2nd generation stuff has survived.
Old 22-05-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Totally agree, plus the re-releases provided hard to find parts for those struggling to complete a restoration.
precisely
Old 22-05-2010
Mad Member

Is it not down to the individual? It's a bit like a painting, if you want the original you pay more than you would a copy or print..........
Old 23-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The stealth box really hasn't changed much, just the slipper really (from 1 pad to 2) and I don't think having a B4 layshaft and slipper would detract from the car at all.
Interestingly my 1991 RC10T uses the same gearbox parts as the modern B4 (though I think the RC10T has a different ratio to the original stealth box) and is running B3 front wishbones.
Basically a re-release of the alloy truck as opposed to buggy would actually need only a fairly limited number of parts not currently in AE's inventory. But I'd rather have the buggy.
Big difference between a classic RC10 and an old Tamiya is that the RC10 is still damned good......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 23-05-2010

To be fair to AE, they've been very good about keeping many old RC10 parts in production. It's great how I can still get brand new idler gears for the 6-gear, a-arms, hinge blocks, dog bones etc. Even the original 6160 body (or one very close to it) is still readily available.

True, many of the bits for the very early cars (like mine) are not still made, or at least not in white, but I've conceded to running the long front a-arms anyway.

Shock towers and tranny braces etc are still inexpensively machined here in the UK from fibrelyte - they even do a molded carbon tub!

And the bits that aren't still made, you can find very easily on eBay.

I have no fear racing my gold 6-gear RC10 with modern cars in club, regional, and national events...

Cheers,
Ty
Old 28-05-2010

Would be nice if they re-released the orignal gold tub with the six gear trans then i could re-live my youth here's hoping
Old 03-04-2012

Default Re Release

I think it's horses for courses, I personally would love to see manufactures produce cars that are made from alloy, yes I know graphite is tough, and I do like the old graphite cars, but there is a sense of solid good old engineering with the old gold pan type cars, Tamiya is fine if your into plastic, it would be great to buy of the shelf an rc10 like the old days, It's worth a thought though, what new car would you all buy today, I mean what new cars for sale today will be future classics, if I knew then what I know now etc etc.
Old 10-04-2012

Send a message via MSN to _JP_ Send a message via Skype™ to _JP_

Alloy! god forbid, people would say it bent if you hit something
Old 10-04-2012

Talking

I'd love to see Associated re-re the RC10. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on BNIB versions of the team car and a late edinger. I have a couple of runners also, but will always run them tentatively due to parts availability.

I'm sure many manufacturers scorned when Tamiya began re-releasing their old stuff, but are now seriously considering doing the same themselves. Whilst collectors will moan about the devaluing of their collections, I think the impact it's having on the hobby is more important. Many people have had their old interest reinvigorated due to this move, which can only help the industry by growing the number of participants. This in turn will result in a younger generation being introduced to the hobby as fathers teach their sons about RC's in the same manner than their own fathers did with them.

I think collectors should relish the rarity of their 'originals' rather than worry about their financial worth. If 'value' is the key reason for collecting, then I can think of plenty of other genres and commodities that are a safer investment. A true collector doesn't worry about how much something costs, because in their eyes the item is priceless.

Tamiya made a smart move when they began the re-re's, but I agree with the previously made point that the RC10 is actually a competitive racer and can still keep up with its modern equivalents. The Avante was a fantastic re-re, but given the choice, you'll race an RC10 over it every day of the week!
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...ab=AllFeedback
Old 10-04-2012

If they re released the rc10 worlds car, I would buy one.
Old 10-04-2012

Maybe wrong about this but I was told that associated is now owned by thunder tiger and a company called king star make alot of the current parts. If that's true, I cant see any old rc10s being re released. Hope I am wrong though.