Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 25-01-2009

Default Bizarre differential problem

Even since changing to the new outdrives (not the problem as far as I know) I have had a problem.

One of the differential loosens itself. It is becoming a major pain now. Simon Moss rebuilt it all at the Petit RC race except for the thrust bearing (thanks for the help) but the very next round it came loose. I then rebuilt the thrust assembly and it was fine for the rest of the meeting.

Today at Newbury however it would only last about 3 or 4 laps before slipping. I completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt (AE Black grease on thrust bearing, AE White on diff components) the thing twice with no luck.

I have used ball diffs for 14 years, and often leave them when dirty and mucky without issue. (Simon said the black in mine was not good at Petit Race, glad he hasn't seen my Mi2EC...) Yet this is a mystery. No-one seems to be able to figure it out. The grub screw is proper locked in place, and it seems fine.

My personal feeling is, it's the stupid "disc springs". The thing is, no-one else has had a problem as far as I am aware. So, opening to the general public... has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Even since changing to the new outdrives (not the problem as far as I know) I have had a problem.

One of the differential loosens itself. It is becoming a major pain now. Simon Moss rebuilt it all at the Petit RC race except for the thrust bearing (thanks for the help) but the very next round it came loose. I then rebuilt the thrust assembly and it was fine for the rest of the meeting.

Today at Newbury however it would only last about 3 or 4 laps before slipping. I completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt (AE Black grease on thrust bearing, AE White on diff components) the thing twice with no luck.

I have used ball diffs for 14 years, and often leave them when dirty and mucky without issue. (Simon said the black in mine was not good at Petit Race, glad he hasn't seen my Mi2EC...) Yet this is a mystery. No-one seems to be able to figure it out. The grub screw is proper locked in place, and it seems fine.

My personal feeling is, it's the stupid "disc springs". The thing is, no-one else has had a problem as far as I am aware. So, opening to the general public... has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks
we had a simalar problemwith a friends car the cure was to replace the springg washers circlip and rebuild the diff to the manual very slowly paying attention to the washer layout it cured it no problem since
Old 25-01-2009

Okay thank you.

I have a feeling maybe my weird washer disc springs have compressed somewhat and not as good as they used to be. I will order some spares and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Okay thank you.

I have a feeling maybe my weird washer disc springs have compressed somewhat and not as good as they used to be. I will order some spares and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.
hope it helps mate
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Can never count anything out - but, i have never seen the disk springs compress to the point that they can't be used. As long as everything is locked up correctly, should all be fine.
Old 25-01-2009

Well I thought that would have been the case too Matt. But something is causing this issue, been driving my bananas. Still getting into the B final at Newbury with a 2wd CAT has got to be an achievement of some kind

I'll make sure I'll report back here if changing disc springs work, just in case anyone else has same problem and searches.
Old 25-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Those spring washers ought to last donkeys. I know with the Losi diff, the best one I had was one built with the similar spring washers and was a diff bought 2nd hand - and id been using it 4 years on and off.

If something is gripping on the last thrust washer, or it is a little oversize, then that could turn the screw and loosen it.

Try rebuilding it - but when refitting, put it in the opposite direction, as if the forward motion is a factor that it current drives, then that direction becomes the braking force which is far less.
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

Had exactly the same issue earlier on in my CAT SX life. We had to keep re-building the front diff as it was 'slipping'. It all happened after I had broke an outdrive at Worksop (not sure if this is a coincidence Glypo), it wasn't a design fault before anyone says, I drove off a jump slighlty sideways shall we say......

We just re-built it slowly and put it in opposite way to what is shown in the 'blown-up' diagram (I know the diagram is only a guide anyway but we were down to desperation tactics to solve the issue!!) and all has worked ever since.

I think we've put it down to lack of concentration while re-building it previously.

All is ok now (touch wood)
Old 26-01-2009

Hiya, i did have a similar problem with one of my diffs when i was rebuilding then with the new outdrives before the petit and found in the end that it was down to the clip holding in the thrust race. What had happened was that when i'd taken the clip out it had cent slightly so that when it got put back together, although all looked good once i put it back in the car and tested it it came out of the locating groove and caused the diff to loosen off. I stretched the clip back out a bit and get presto it was find.
Old 26-01-2009

i also had similar problem and i found that i hadnt put the grub screw back in the male out drive doh simple but easy to forget
Old 26-01-2009

The circlip has a rounded and square edge to it if put in backwards the (rounded edge to inside) clip can push past the groove when under tension.
Old 16-02-2009

Did you fix this in the end Jason ?
Old 16-02-2009

Not sure yet.

I have got some new springs and bits, and rebuilt them all perfectly. As soon as the weather is good enough I will give it a test. Failing that I will find out at Newbury at the weekend.

A very odd problem, if it is fixed I won't know why, as it seemed fine to start with.
Old 08-03-2009

Did you solve this? I'm getting the same. Undoing itself in 3 minutes of running.

I found I got the bearings on the male diff component swapped with each other thick vs thin but not convinced fixing this will solve my problem.
Old 13-03-2009

I'm having the same problem. Re-built the dif, but still slipping by 3rd race. I am running 13.5 about to put a 8.5 in, so really concerned that the dif will loosen during the first race after rebuild.

Anyone found any cure? Is it worth putting thread lock on the screw?
Old 13-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerno View Post
I'm having the same problem. Re-built the dif, but still slipping by 3rd race. I am running 13.5 about to put a 8.5 in, so really concerned that the dif will loosen during the first race after rebuild.

Anyone found any cure? Is it worth putting thread lock on the screw?
off the subject but what are you gearing the 13.5? are you running the stock internal ratio and spur as well?
Old 13-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxvw View Post
off the subject but what are you gearing the 13.5? are you running the stock internal ratio and spur as well?
Yes I am running stock internal. I have changed to the 80 spur and running 27 pinion. It's the most I can squeeze in there. I need to change the internal because the car is under-geared. Though I am winning most of my races, and keeping up with some cars (but not most) on the straight. Motor is a Speed passion.
Old 14-03-2009

I rebuilt the dif again and tried the trick Losi_110 advised of stretching the cir-clip. It seems to have worked. Just went a whole race meet without issue. This kind of makes sense. I have a lot of trouble getting that clip out. I am going to purchase the right tool from Schumacher.

Cat was smoking hit at the meeting. It looked like a missile was coming up behind other cars when lapping or catching up. Sick.
Old 14-03-2009

Not fixed mine yet but only takes 5 mins for mine to undo itself. Has been suggested I got the diff stack in the wrong order so going to rebuild it when the parts arrive. The circlip certainly isn't popping out. Was yours?
Old 16-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Schumacher sell a complete assembled diff assembly U3338. You guys are spending ages over this issue which sounds very frustrating, why don't you just cut your losses and drop in a fresh diff.

You can then completely strip the diff which is slipping, bag up the components and use those parts as spares when you come to rebuild one again.

Im sorry I can't suggest much for fixing the slippy one, but without it infront of me and myself repairing it I find it impossible to diagnose it. Id be very willing to give it a complete rebuild for you if we were ever at the same meeting though.