Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-01-2012

Default 1/10th Off-Road, is there a huge difference between different cars?

Reading another thread where someone said they've got an older model car, and although it's good it gets beaten by the newer, more technical models.

Just wondering, is there really that much difference between cars?

Say for example, a Lazer ZX-5 SP and a TRF501X running the same electrics, with the same drive, and both setup to suite the drivers driving style. Will there be much if at all any difference in lap times?

Getting back into it after 14 year...so be gentle
Web Design Durham
Old 19-01-2012

The underlying feel of a car can differ quite wildly from car to car, even with a setup to suit the driver. Take the durango for example, this is a very direct car. To be driven quickly you need to fast into the corner, slow down, wait until you are almost out of the corner then power out. Other belt driven, ball diffed cars tend to be less direct through a corner.

Personally Ive found the Durango really suits my driving style and can put consistently quicker laps with this car than other cars with setups to suit my style.

If you are thinking of what car to get, my advice is to try as many as you can and get what suits you the most

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 19-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacattack View Post
The underlying feel of a car can differ quite wildly from car to car, even with a setup to suit the driver. Take the durango for example, this is a very direct car. To be driven quickly you need to fast into the corner, slow down, wait until you are almost out of the corner then power out. Other belt driven, ball diffed cars tend to be less direct through a corner.

Personally Ive found the Durango really suits my driving style and can put consistently quicker laps with this car than other cars with setups to suit my style.

If you are thinking of what car to get, my advice is to try as many as you can and get what suits you the most
Yeh I've heard people say the Durango is pretty aggressive, and you need an aggresive driving style to really get the best out of it.

So really, it doesn't really matter whether it's a old model car you have, or a new one, it's more about whether it suites your driving style?

I'm not looking to buy a car, just at times I feel the car I have is a little out dated, and sometimes contemplate buying something new, but will it really make a difference?

Web Design Durham
Old 19-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlened View Post
Yeh I've heard people say the Durango is pretty aggressive, and you need an aggresive driving style to really get the best out of it.

So really, it doesn't really matter whether it's a old model car you have, or a new one, it's more about whether it suites your driving style?

I'm not looking to buy a car, just at times I feel the car I have is a little out dated, and sometimes contemplate buying something new, but will it really make a difference?
I wouldnt say you need an aggressive style to get on with a Durango as the car does all the work for you.

However certain cars can suit different driving styles, definitely.

If you feel your car is out dated, then a new car will/should make a difference. Old worn parts will make the car feel a bit more sloppy in its feel due to the play in the ball joints. Also, if its a particularly old car it may not be suited to lighter lipos compared to nihm's. I usually get a new car for every season, or at least a refresh of the moving parts.

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 19-01-2012

In my view if you gave someone like Lee or Darren a choice of the top.. 6 cars on the current market. I doubt there would be a big clear winner, they have been driving for so long. And have the skills that they could adapt to the car very quickly. For us mortals there will more than likely be a certain car that would fit our driving style better. I used to run 1/8th a lot and what brought me to the Durango was the Diffs, as Im not a big fan of balls diffs coming from 8th scale. I know where I am with diff oils and so on. And I really like the Durango products, I don't know I could prefer the Kyosho and Tamiya. But I don't have that kind of money lying around!

If your car is old-which it is if I read correctly, and your finding it more of a struggle to be on the pace to the newer cars maybe a new car is not a bad idea. A lot of people-Incl me sometimes think that the latest will be the fastest, but its not always as simple as that. But in my view I don't think there is much between the top current line up of cars in all honesty.
Old 19-01-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

simple answer is yes
Old 19-01-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

The zx5 SP is still a capable car.
If I remember the thread correctly the person was talking about a much older car (something from the 90's?)
In that case I believe that the vast majority of cars will be slower than their modern descendants.
Old 19-01-2012
Mad Member

Its a good question.

I would say if you have an old car like the Lazer SP just consider it was designed for NIMH batteries and Brushed Motor.

The balance and power of cars now is quite different.

So you can happily enjoy your car it is ok and not bad, but if you upgrade to a new car like the Lazer FS you will notice it hanldes better.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 19-01-2012

This question is a 'oldie' itself...

I always think it depends on where you race and how serious you are tbh. For fun club racing to a average standard, hell anything will do !

I run a bog-standard, Mk1 Lazer ZX5 sometimes at club and its pretty much as quick as anything else there, and handles fine. My main car, a TRF501x, is a bit quicker and handles better than most. I have no desire to 'upgrade' from the 501x, it fine for me, and all spares are still available.

The fastest guy in 4wd at my local club most weeks runs a old AC S44 from 2006/7 that looks brilliant on track, we have old Cat 2000's that are still pretty rapid, plus a couple of Losi XX4's that are still as good as anything. In 2wd, a couple of weeks ago at clubnight a very good 'vintage' driver with a 18 year old Losi XX was barely one lap down from F1 & F2 drivers driving the latest mid-motored machinery...

If you can get spares, just run the old ZX5 for clubdays. Its fine. If your going to drive it more seriously - regular Regionals & Nats or bigger one-off meetings, then maybe think about a newer car, or if you think your driving standard warrants it and outclasses your current car.
Old 19-01-2012

Thanks for the replys.

Basically, I bought a ZX-5 RTR about two and half year ago. I upgraded everything on it to be SP spec. For various reasons I've only managed to race the car 4-5 times since I bought it. So it's really a mental thing that it feels as if it's an old car, because by age it is, but by wear it's brand new.

Electrics wise, it's got a speed passion 6.5, and an LRP SPX ESC.

Currently it's not running Lipos, but I've just ordered some and new charger.

I suppose what I'm after is some confirmation (for my mind), that as my skills improve I won't be 'held back' by the car.

Web Design Durham