Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 09-02-2019

Default Pinion and spur gear advice

Nejust bought my first Yokomo Yz2 CA
My RC knowledge is very limited, the spur gear and pinion doesn’t look very well matched, I’m currently running a 10.5 motor, the pinion is a 48p 19T, to me the sour gear looks a bit used.

Or am I wrong and just need to mesh it better, I haven’t ran it yet, nor spent any time meshing it as I thought it may need replacing.

Last edited by Shaundesigner; 09-02-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm not convinced that's a kit spur. I've known of slipper issues when using off-brand spur gears, due to thickness. kit spur us 80 tooth.

Kit pinion is a 22 tooth, which is fine for 7.5/6.5 motors.
With a 10.5 turn, you want to be at a 24/25 really.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-02-2019

Tbh I don’t think it would be a kit spur, the guy I bought it off has changed a few bits, of which he’s given me lots of spares, I would like to work out what’s the standard bits etc then put it back to stock.

I’ll get a new pinion, the car has different arms (gul arms) is this a good idea to keep it put back to stock?
Old 09-02-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaundesigner View Post
Tbh I don’t think it would be a kit spur, the guy I bought it off has changed a few bits, of which he’s given me lots of spares, I would like to work out what’s the standard bits etc then put it back to stock.

I’ll get a new pinion, the car has different arms (gul arms) is this a good idea to keep it put back to stock?
Depends on the tract surface you run on really. The gull arms are currently run on both high and low grip as they offer more corner speed. Ensure you have the gull front tower too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-02-2019

Predominantly run on high grip carpet, the tower has been changed and has the appropriate one for the arms
Old 09-02-2019

Old 09-02-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah you have the newer arms on it. stick with those for sure.
Old 09-02-2019

Would you recommend anything else?
Old 09-02-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

After sorting the spur gear, just run it and get it tuned to the track you are running on. you could spend more money on it on new bits, but run it as is not now and see what it does.
Old 09-02-2019

Ok perfect thanks, I’m gonna run 35 in the front shocks and 40 in the back with 6k oil in the diff
Old 09-02-2019
Mad Member

That spur looks a bit worn actually, tips of the teeth shouldn't be THAT flattened off.