Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 20-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
This may sound silly but do the gearboxes move whilst the cars in use?
Only if some screws have fallen out
Old 21-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
I recon the gearboxes will be like a B4 with three gears

Here's my 5 min ms paint guess work

I would guess the belt pulley layshaft would rotate around the diff so you can use this as your belt tensioner ?. You would need little movement to adjust the tension of the belts.
Old 21-08-2011
Mad Member

I'd be tempted to use an idler roler on the belts to get the tension right. Its fast and easy .

Id also use slipper pulleys front and rear, either on the spur shaft or on the gearboxes.

The reason I thought about using 3 gears in the boxes is to get the height to clear the lipos. Using all B4 internals would cut down on costs and there is a gear or ball diff option there too. I'd make the gearboxes split left to right but also have a seperate diff cover so a few screws will get the diff out easy.

Clown
Old 22-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
I recon the gearboxes will be like a B4 with three gears

Here's my 5 min ms paint guess work

Im thinking that you need to move one of the saddle packs in front of the motor, and also rotate the motor 180* so it will rotate the same as the tires. Also you can remove a gear from the front and rear gear boxes.
Old 22-08-2011

i think your on a winner with this!
i think this is how the new car will be as well !!!!
Old 25-08-2011
Mad Member

Video of Paul's main at the R.O.A.R. Nationals two weeks ago now on our site.

http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/index.php

It's a 6-min vid of Paul running the X - 7 Gen 5.1 on a great track in northern California.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 28-08-2011
oOple Journalist

Thumbs up norcal xfactory running

I see that track used a lot on ultimaterc.com, they use it for a lot of review running, the next gen proto looked really good, driven well by Paul, I'm the same as everybody else, just dying to see some shell off shots but I know they will come in good time...any sign of those quick change diffs we heard about a while ago?

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 29-08-2011
Mad Member

For now, at least, we are using the standard AE ball diffs they have been making forever. So there is nothing different about them.

What is different is the ease with which they can be removed from the car.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 29-08-2011
oOple Journalist

Thumbs up diffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
For now, at least, we are using the standard AE ball diffs they have been making forever. So there is nothing different about them.

What is different is the ease with which they can be removed from the car.
Sounds good, anything that makes removing diffs and working on that area of the buggy will be a real bonus, quick change diffs....wonder if the car will come with outdrive savers as standard to beef up that notoriously weak area on 4wd's?

Keep the news coming

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 29-08-2011
Mad Member

We use the standard steel AE outdrives, and they wear out long before they break. The outdrive savers that Chris Long made for us went on the X - 5 which used Losi plastic outdrives.

Team drivers usually re-build their diffs because the outdrives are worn, not broken. This means the outdrives are doing their job preventing body lean. You want the correct amount of friction between outdrive and dogbone, but not a gouge in the outdrive that restricts or prevents movement. Many club racers run their outdrives way too long.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 29-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvo View Post
That's more like it! The gearboxes move indeed....
Ace... as Jonathon also said, I reckon for belt tension adjustment...

Or.... there is a method to raise/lower the gearbox, a la the X6sq...
Old 29-08-2011

YOUNGCHAZZ can you explain a bit more about how out drive friction works.why did Brian Kinwald invent BK bones wouldn't these get rid of all friction.
Old 29-08-2011
Mad Member

Easier to have you run a little test than for me to explain.

Rotate the right tire so the CVD drive pin and outdrive slot are vertical. Move the control arm up and down and note to yourself how much pressure it takes - you'll feel the spring's resistance and that's about it. Now hold the wheel still, and put one finger on the spur gear and rotate it a bit so there is tension in the driveline, especially between the outdrive and CVD. Try moving the control arm up and down again -- it should take much more force.

The bones have friction when they move in and out of the outdrives. The real concern here, however, is not so much how the friction affects the car in stasis, but rather the control the friction gives the driver on the track. When on power this friction adds traction and stiffens up the rear suspension. Off power the car will be softer.

Seems obvious; however the degree to which a driver can make use of this around the track really helps lap times. IMHO, Ryan Cavalieri is best in the world at landing jumps. Watch his control as the car approaches the ground. He uses the throttle to get the exact amount of stiffness and forward drive he wants for the landing.

As the outdrive wears, the friction changes, so the car performs differently from one race to the next and you are wondering why. When you see them start to wear, it's time to replace, usually two or three race weekends with the AE steel ones. And, about every other outdrive replacement, be sure to replace at least the pin in the bone, if not the whole bone. The pin is replaceable easily if you have a small press, not so easy with a hammer. Paul buys hardened rods from a hardware supplier and cuts off pieces to fit. The bones are available separately from the whole CVD kit.

Losi's old outdrives (the big ones used on all their cars up to the 22) are a slightly different story. Those outdrives/drive pins are big enough that Losi spent a lot of time trying to reduce the friction there, as too much can make the car 'catch' over bumps. The Losi plastic outdrives obviously have less friction than the steel, and the ultimate reduction of friction was the 'BK Bone', which used small ball bearings over the drive pin to reduce nearly all this friction. With the smaller outdrives/drive pins on the 22, I think Losi has quietly admitted that AE's design is superior in this regard.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 30-08-2011

Thanks for explaing all that I had never thought of using the power in that way to land from a jump.I will give it a go.
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The other option is telescopic driveshafts. Back in the 80's they were the norm on Schumachers and Traxxas (TRX1), but were a little 'low tech'. Could these be developed to give less friction and restrictions now? Internal rollers, bushed UJ's etc?
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Didn't Schumacher make some optional ones for the Cougar 2 with rollers?

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 30-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
The other option is telescopic driveshafts. Back in the 80's they were the norm on Schumachers and Traxxas (TRX1), but were a little 'low tech'. Could these be developed to give less friction and restrictions now? Internal rollers, bushed UJ's etc?
I still have some Losi telescopic driveshafts from back in the day, might give them a go
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

any further updates on the X7?
Old 13-09-2011
oOple Advertiser

Ellis ran the car at our indoor club here in Watford last thursday, looked very good all night. He set TQ in all three rounds with some very consistent and fast laps.....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 17-10-2011
Mad Member

Vid of X - 7 Gen 5.1 in Q3 (Paul's TQ run) now up on our Facebook page, X Factory R/C.

You'll get all the latest news on the X - 7, as well as SCX - 60CF news and all other things X Factory if you like us. We encourage you to respond to our posts, post up your own pix, race results, etc. there.

I originally put a link to our Facebook page in here, but it did not work. So I made another post just below this, put in the same link, and it works from there.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com