Old 25-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Not heard of this, tell me more
"X-Fiber"
Old 25-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That looks awesome!
I still have many fond memories of my X-5 , still my favourite ever 4wd. The X-7 ought to be a must have - if the benchmark performance is X-5.
Old 26-05-2012

The official name for that critter is the Carbon Fiver.

I haven't run it much since Cactus but I'm going to try to get it to the track more. It is a one-off to try new things with my machining. It was fun to build,

X-Factory SCX-60 - Keep On Truckin'
Old 27-05-2012
Mad Member

I just posted this on RCTech:

Ellis got his together in time for the last practice session at E.P.R. before the National next weekend, and pronounced it 'very fast, handles very well, and certainly is better than the 5.2 car I took 3rd with at Robin Hood.'

Paul finished building his Friday night, and was slated to go racing Saturday, but woke up sick from allergy problems. He felt a bit better in the late afternoon and took his 6.2 across the street to run a bit in a parking lot. 'It's very fast and looks a lot like a production car.'"

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 27-05-2012
Mad Member

We posted several pix of the "X Fiver" on our FB page, http://www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC

The car looks absolutely awesome, and includes lots of very trick aluminum parts carefully designed and machined by Speedy Dad, + the custom-made CF. Dad's car keeps the basic X - 5 driveline but changes the idler location; because we know so much more now than we did when the car's chassis mold was produced, Dad's modifications work much better than the original. It's dialed, and the X - 5 Squared body fits too, along with most X - 5 parts.

With the X - 7 about to be released, I can't see a need to produce the X - Fiver, even if Dad had the time, which I doubt he has. So take a look on FB, because it is very cool indeed, and hang on for a great ride with the X - 7.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 22-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mof View Post
"X-Fiber"
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1292903&type=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Dad's car keeps the basic X - 5 driveline but changes the idler location; because we know so much more now than we did when the car's chassis mold was produced, Dad's modifications work much better than the original.
Chazz, as I still have my X-5 (and a ton of spares) I'd really like to still race it... I only run on very high bite astroturf now, so belt skip would be a big challenge. It has all the belt roller upgrades, plus 3x home made rollers. Would it work for me if I moved the idler location on the std. X-5^2 chassis? (like Speedy Dad) And could you explain in more detail (pics too?) what to do please?

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 24-06-2012
Mad Member

The X - Fiber is something Speedy Dad made on his own -- he has a router and a mill in his garage and loves designing and building stuff of all kinds. He also has SW on his comp. From what I saw at Cactus -- the only time I've had the X - Fiber in my hands -- it would be extremely difficult to change the belt path on the molded chassis to something like what Dad designed.

Dad started with a flat sheet of CF, so his problem was how to mount the components. Most of the mounting is taken care of by the molded chassis; Dad designed and built aluminum parts to do the work, and these aluminum parts hold the driveline. From my memory, you would have to tear out much of the center belt tunnel, then build aluminum parts at least similar to Dad's to get the new path. When you cut out the belt tunnel, you lose much of the car's stiffness, so you may as well cut it all out. Heck, just start with a new sheet of CF as Dad did! LOL

We suggested to Dad that he might be able to sell the X - Fiber. At the time, three months ago, he said it would be far too much work to make small batches of them, and the cost would be astronomical. Plus, he has a wife, children, and a job. No time or interest to do production of whole cars. That's our job...

If you want to do it yourself, I think there is a pic on our FB page of the right side of the car that better shows how the thing works.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 24-06-2012

So first of all, its called the Carbon Fiber. A play on words for my favorite material.

Chazz is correct. This will be the only one. I built it to learn more about my CNC machining. I will not offer it for sale. It will remain my personal 4wd buggy.

The idler location was done just to get everything in one small area. Moving it probably wouldn't have much impact on drivetrain performance.

X-Factory SCX-60 - Keep On Truckin'