Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 17-06-2011

Default Newby in need of advice!!

Hi all, newby here and was wondering if you could help.

I'm interested in getting into racing buggies and have seen that forcc is my local club (I live in Rochester). I used to race motocross quite a bit but I've bought a house now and ever since then I've not really been able to afford to ride very much and saw no point in keeping the bike.

I thought I'd quite like to have a go at this and have started to look for a buggy. I used to have a nitro rc car several years ago but to be frank I haven't got a clue what buggy I should get. Your guide on the website was really helpful and with a budget of around £150 I've seen a couple of buggies but weren't sure how good they might be for racing.

I've seen the HPI Brama 10b and the Maverick Strada XB. They both seem to fit into the guidelines that you set on your website and look as though they might suit a beginner like me. I guess my question therefore is are they any good or should I look at getting something else? I also figured that when I get one I should get some practice in before racing as I fear I may be nothing more than a travelling road block!!!

Appreciate any advice
Old 17-06-2011

Hi Barney448,

Gteat to hear from you making enquiries regards our club. My first and most important piece of advice would be to come along on a wednesday evening (6:30 onwards), and have a look a what we race, this by far is the best way to find a car that will suit you at the hall we race in.

On average we have 40-50 drivers in attendance on our club night, and every single one of us would be only too happy to advise you on the direction to take regards racing, and most important, many weeks we have cars for sale at much reduced prices, which you can have a look at when you come.

Hope this answers a few of your questions and will be great to see you at club, any other questions, please feel free to ask,

Kind Regards Alan, Chairman of FORCC
Old 17-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Welcome aboard! Faversham is a great club and we will all be happy to help get you racing! Alot safer than the Mx too!

As Alan says pop along for a look and have a chat to the members.

The most popular car at the club is the Durango Dex410, to get one of these set up will be over your budget but buy right and buy once. You could get set up with one of these for around £400 ish depending on equipment etc.

Or have a look for an Associated B44 or a Tamiya durga. A few on eBay or here in the forsale section.

Tyres are Schumacher full spikes in yellow compound and a 13.5 brushless motor.

Come to the club before you splash the cash but atleast you can get looking at some options

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 19-06-2011

Thanks for your advice guys. I went to the model shop at Notcutts today and they had a nice looking Tamiya XB Pro which was ready to use straight out of the box (although, presumably I would need some extra batteries and a fast charger).

I've also seen an LRP Blast S10 which is ready to run and seems to come with the seemingly better quality 2.4ghz transmitter and better quality motor, speed controller, slipper clutch and cvd type joints.

I can get both of these models with the extra batteries and fast charger for around £200 which seems reasonable and I kind of like the idea of being able to learn about the car by starting basic and steadily enhancing the performance of the buggy as I improve. Being a newby I also expect my first buggy will cop a bit of abuse from some immovable objects anyway!!
Old 19-06-2011

Personally I would go the second hand race bred machine route. We race on polished wood block, which is probably the slipperiest surface you will ever race on and the cheaper cars don't have the geometry or set up options to get them to grip. Come and see us Wednesday everyone willtry and help you out.
Old 19-06-2011

For £190 i have a Durango 410r (rollong chassis only).
spend your money wisely as the wrong buy will end up on your shelfs as it will not sell, and be with you a while.
Model shops will sell you what they have not always what you need!

Put your money in your pocket and take a look, ask lots, spend once.

Start with something good and blame your driving not the equipment and you will progress far quicker also people will be more willing to assist with items they may no more about.
happy shopping
Old 20-06-2011

Just looked up the cars you mentioned and a similar comparision would be to take a cub 90 (complete with hat box) to Canada heights, great fun but would never improve your riding! Hope this helps! As said before come and see us and you will get a better insight to what you need.
Old 20-06-2011

tbh boys its very difficult as none does a descent starter 4wd thats raceable.
I mean a durga is now more than a b44 or durango which is silly.
http://www3.ansmann.de/cms/en/rc-car...izzard-bl.html
this is a bmax copy an seems raceable
Old 20-06-2011

Thanks again all for your advice. The C90 racing at canada heights would indeed be a spectacle that I'd possibly pay to see but it was a point well made!!

I shall aim to get along to a club meet soon to see whats what and I think I'll also take a look on e-bay and maybe open up negotiations with the trouble and strife!!

Are there places in Kent that you go to practice or do you just do the race meets? I think I'd quite like to do some practicing before I go to a race meeting and as far as I can see there is a) mocking up a track in my back garden or b) heading down to my local park.