Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2019
warhead3000's Avatar
warhead3000 warhead3000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 173
Default Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special TOMS????

Hi Guys

I'm having a little clear-out of some of my cars and letting them go to new owners to enjoy as I probably don't have the time at the moment and many have just been sitting there.

Anyway I've just sold a rare Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special (as best as I could determine as I never owned one from new ). I actually have another Turbo Optima Mid Special but I believe it might be the even rarer TOM's version as it has the smoked belt and spur/ pinion housing, the FRP saddle pack chassis, Platinum shocks and the rear shocks are positioned behind the rear wishbones not in front (as was my other Turbo Optima Mid Special, plus the wishbone design is different)

So anyway I'm taking it that the TOMS refers to the "Turbo Optima Mid Special" but wondered if it was just a modified TOMS or a specific model??

Thanks guys

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2019
Naushad Naushad is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 1,427
Default

You need to provide some pics as your details aren't really enough to go by. Platinum shocks were only a feature with the Mid SE and not TOMS. TOMS used the classic kyosho gold damper units.

Lots of long wheel base mids were modified to look like a TOMS. The actual TOMS kit numbers are also relatively small too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2019
warhead3000's Avatar
warhead3000 warhead3000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 173
Default

Cheers Bud

I'll try and post some pics to make identify it easier. It could be a TOMS with the uprated platinum shocks or a LWB saddle pack conversion.
















Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
You need to provide some pics as your details aren't really enough to go by. Platinum shocks were only a feature with the Mid SE and not TOMS. TOMS used the classic kyosho gold damper units.

Lots of long wheel base mids were modified to look like a TOMS. The actual TOMS kit numbers are also relatively small too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-12-2019
keithrc keithrc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 88
Default

Would be interesting to see pics. FYI, the platinum shocks wouldn't really be an upgrade, the gold shocks are a lot better.




Keith
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-12-2019
terry.sc's Avatar
terry.sc terry.sc is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockport
Posts: 1,413
Default

The less obvious parts of the TOMS that are usuallylay missed is that it should have ball diffs and the yellow 3 piece wheels, ideally both sets of wheels and option house tyres to be complete. The carbon fibre weave pattern should be seen in the carbon fibre chassis plate, but the upper deck should be black fibreglass. The lwb conversion also uses a carbon fibre chassis. A genuine TOMS belt guard would be clear, the smoked guards are standard Mid Custom and Custom Special parts. It should also have gold shocks all round.


The description of the car above sounds like a standard Custom Special with platinum rear shocks. Also a lot of old cars looked like a TOMS as the standard Mid Custom body was almost identical, the only difference being a bump added to the left sidepod to clear the servo arm for the MSC.
__________________
Visit my showroom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-01-2020
Mike73 Mike73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The less obvious parts of the TOMS that are usuallylay missed is that it should have ball diffs and the yellow 3 piece wheels, ideally both sets of wheels and option house tyres to be complete. The carbon fibre weave pattern should be seen in the carbon fibre chassis plate, but the upper deck should be black fibreglass. The lwb conversion also uses a carbon fibre chassis. A genuine TOMS belt guard would be clear, the smoked guards are standard Mid Custom and Custom Special parts. It should also have gold shocks all round.


The description of the car above sounds like a standard Custom Special with platinum rear shocks. Also a lot of old cars looked like a TOMS as the standard Mid Custom body was almost identical, the only difference being a bump added to the left sidepod to clear the servo arm for the MSC.

Can anyone advise who makes the correct TOMS shell without the bump you mention above for the MSC. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2020
terry.sc's Avatar
terry.sc terry.sc is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockport
Posts: 1,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike73 View Post
Can anyone advise who makes the correct TOMS shell without the bump you mention above for the MSC. Thanks
That will be MarwanRC
https://marwanrc.com/shop?olsPage=pr...ay-decals-wing
__________________
Visit my showroom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-01-2020
Mike73 Mike73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
Default

thanks Terry they seem to be doing a set only at the mo, ive already bought MCI stickers for the TOMS so hoping these are compatible, no sign of being able to order the shell separately, tried emailing but no response just yet? Any oter links for Marwen do they sell on ebay?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com