Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 04-08-2016

i think the diff is something i need to look at, i am using a b4 ball diff. when grip is lower i get a lot of ballooning on the inside front tyre so a lot of traction lost there, wondering whether to redesign the gearcase for gear diff to see if thats any better, do i remember correctly that ORB tried one but uses ball diff now?? i am now running the front wishbones angled down to the front slightly, not tried on grass yet, hopefully next week, but seems better on low grip. seems to reduce the tendency for the rear wheels to lift when braking as well as making it smoother
Old 05-08-2016
Mad Member

The FF210 indeed uses a ball diff. The DEX210's ball diff can be tightened up quite far - I think thanks to its large thrust bearing - so ballooning is usually not an issue.

What I did find is that not only the diff and front roll can cause tire ballooning; rear roll does too. Since the rear is set up quite soft (at least on the FF210), running an anti-roll bar on the rear can help reduce tire ballooning, and on higher grip surfaces grip roll too.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 05-08-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2016

i have a thin rear anti roll bar fitted, it did help a bit, have also hardened rear up more to make it drift around rather than snatch around. was thinking of stiffening the diff up a bit by rebuilding it using a bushings rather than ballraces in it, with graphite paste as lubricant as thats fairly thick
Old 06-08-2016
Mad Member

Thicker grease could help a lot - I use very thick, pink diff grease for the main diff plates (Sold on oOple some years ago, LINK - If I recall correctly member madmax (Lee) handed me a batch of this grease at the 2012 Kampenhout GP. I'm still using it for my diffs today, thanks Lee ) and Asso black grease for the thrust bearing. Is it also worth having a look at Tamiya's AW-grease?

For reducing ballooning, you could also try moulded inserts, or stretching tires. For example a 4wd tire mounted on a rear rim, or removing the outer ribs of the rim and glueing the tire to the edge of the rim - suggested to me by member janus Stretched carcasses will not only reduce ballooning, they also sharpen up the steering with more predictability and a more confidence inspiring feel.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy