Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 07-02-2012

Default Stock Mini Motors & ESC

HI,

Can you please let me know What is the motor limit on a stock mini? if any

Also I am currently running a tamiya STD ESC and looking for something that will run a better motor are there any good priced onse without going brushless.

Thanks

Trev
Old 08-02-2012

Default Stock motor limit

Hi Trev,

i'm not too sure as I don't run in the stock class but I believe it to be a 27Turn limit. If you turn up on Friday one of the guys who race in the stock class will be able to confirm this.
My advice would be to use a 20T saturn and race in the "open class". I am personnaly not a fan of splitting the Mardave classes to suit one or two individuals. As racing with 4 cars in a heat can be a little dull compared to to a full on field of upto 10 cars.
I see the stock class suitable for beginners and the Open class suitable to more experinced drivers as the cars are a little quicker and require that little bit better setup and driving ability.

Hope this helps

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"
Old 15-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simion Wabs View Post
Hi Trev,

i'm not too sure as I don't run in the stock class but I believe it to be a 27Turn limit. If you turn up on Friday one of the guys who race in the stock class will be able to confirm this.
My advice would be to use a 20T saturn and race in the "open class". I am personnaly not a fan of splitting the Mardave classes to suit one or two individuals. As racing with 4 cars in a heat can be a little dull compared to to a full on field of upto 10 cars.
I see the stock class suitable for beginners and the Open class suitable to more experinced drivers as the cars are a little quicker and require that little bit better setup and driving ability.

Hope this helps

Si
Simon can I ask what makes ur car not allowed to go in the 'stock' class? Motor, cells or what? And what should it be to be allowed to go in The stock mardave class?
Old 15-02-2012

@ Gunter,

the class is seperated due to motor winds apparently . Namely I run a 21T clash motor (one that came with the Mad Monkey) whilst others in the stock class run silver can 27T motors as outlined in the Mardave section BRCA rules.
Although if we followed BRCA the rules to the letter, both my ESC and battery would be subject to failing the "stock class" criteria.

For me, as stated already above, national rules should only apply to national events. All clubs should have the choice to run "open" class or BRCA regulated classes. Prior to a certain individual(s) attending Glos, the mardave class was always "open". For me the more people who race in this class the better as it will force the "stock" guys to either a) race elsewhere or b)upgrade their car to become competitive.

I still struggle to comprehend why we run two classes at Glos. Maybe this was just to passify the minority of people who complained about this class?

On the other hand, the more people racing "any" class of RC is a bonus, so no real complaints from me that we run two sperate classes in the mardaves.

Apologies for the long winded response

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 15-02-2012

Rite ok so basically a fun class for all has been changed by people that has joined ARE club pushing old members out.

I agree with some of that but not other Simon, yes it should follow brca rules reali to a degree motors and stuff are a major but things like wing size and height for example is a little to far but yes for a club you running with the other cars but not Collecting points against them should be allowed. And others shouldn't have to go out and spend more money to be competitive that's not reali the idea at club level follow the rules and spend as much as you can afford :-)

At the end the day we follow rules made my the club not what one or 2 people want. If we were running to club rules most the mardave's whould not be allowed to race due to there ride height and not countersunk chassis which should be enforcEd no matter what.

I think I'll be running a lipo and 27turn caterham mardave and it will be going in with all the other mardave's. Its are club and I been going for 7 years not a few months
Old 15-02-2012

Mr Gunter with a mardave, bring it on

I'm not to sure which points you agree/disagree with to be honest

I'd get a 20T saturn and race with me, Martyn + others who are moving away from the "stock" class.

Even Mr Beeby is considering a return to the "dave" and I can almost gaurentee he won't go the 27T route.

Your choice though. The bueaty of a Mardave is that they regulate themselves because too much power (brushless) brings a whole host of new issues that the chassis can not handle. So money doesn't necessarily bring you the best car. That way teh class remains fairly even.

That said, if all others convert to the stock class then i'd be more than happy to compete with a 27t motor.

As you have rightly said this is a fun class and too many people take it too seriously.

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 08-02-2012

Agreed with what Simon said.
In my opinion the Tamiya TEU101BK (assuming that is what you have) can handle any motor you would want in your mini at Gloucester. I've run that controller on a 17T motor without a problem in a mini, and that is far too fast for the chassis at the Glos track. The lack of gearing choices mean you can't run motors with low turn counts because you will end up being over geared as the track is so small.
Old 09-02-2012

Thanks for the reply, I hope to be out again on Friday ( i have the yellow mini that spends alot of time on its roof)

I am going to stay in the stock for a little while as I am new to this and I am happy with running in this until I get used to the car. as I brought the car s/h I wanted to fit a new motor and bits to make it as good as it can be hence the turn question.

Trev
Old 09-02-2012

Trev,
if you are interested in running a small form factor LiPo which will certainly improve your car, I can produce machined battery enclosures especially for the Mardave.

Check out my site, you will see it there plus a load of set-up advice for these cars:
http://www.fulloption.co.uk/mardaveV12.html

DAVE
Old 09-02-2012

i race a stock mini and im running a mabushi 540 rs sport tuned motor.i should be there on friday if you want to have a looki

Last edited by ryan edwards; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Re said