Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 08-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

every snippet of the review looks ace Jimmy, can't wait to browse over the full thing.
Old 08-02-2006
Grammarator

Send a message via Skype™ to emzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
phew... I just need to pray for a nice day on sunday so I can give it a proper testing.
And we can give it the Emzy thrash test!
Old 08-02-2006
Administrator

Oh blummin heck, best get the spares in !!!!
Old 08-02-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

is bury metro on this sunday might give lazer a blast out doors
Old 08-02-2006
Administrator

Tis from what I know mate aye..
If you are INSANE you can go race at greenhead park in huddersfield, aparently there is some council backed race there from about noon..
mostly (like, 100%) bashers with daft monster trucks and 8th scale buggys...
best bit, its gonna be a small grass track, so any 10th electric should wipe the floor with them..
You even get a kirklees council trophy or somet.. mad!!! haha

Im off to bury tho, all being well.. racing the lazer, xxx4 and xx4
Old 08-02-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

think il stick with bury probably safer bet
Old 10-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

I just finally got some hot laps around the living room with the car in full race trim, and the slipper seems to slip a LOT, even when cranked on. Diff and slipper setup on 4-wheelers are new to me (I hate slippers to begin with, that's what your left index finger is for), so I'm not positive on the best setup. It seems to have a lot of growl to it. I have also noticed that the flares on the rear sidepods of the body seem to be REALLY close to the rear inner tires. Is this something that anyone else has seen? I'm thinking that maybe some of the car's growl is a bit of plastic vibrating, too. Not sure. I think I need to sit down with the manual some more and a few hand tools to figure out the base setup, unless anyone else has some suggestions.

The 10x2 Checkpoint is flippin' fast, though.

Also, does anyone know if Losi made lightweight versions of the summer body? I have two, and the one I cut for the car is VERY thin, like a 12th scale lightweight. The wing is comical, it's so thin.

doug
Old 11-02-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

it might be the way there making them now a days.. ive not bought a new losi for a while! make sure your diffs are adjusted correctly if somthing is slipping. if your cranking the slipepr right up and somthing is slipping its definatly the diffs.

theres holes on the 'topdecks' where you have used little screws to cover, and on the layshaft there is a hole, poke a thin driver in to the hole (ooh'err) and then hold one wheel and try to turn the other. you should not be able to move the wheel easy, tighten it up and check again untill its hard to do it. i use the layshaft on the spur to do with btw..

also have you ran the diffs in? im not sure how experienced you are so excuse me if you know how grab a wheel and give it about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle for about 5 seconds on each wheel then readajust the diffs. this is the way ive found best to do it. each to there own though mebbeh?
Old 11-02-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

oh also dont tighten the slipper right up, as this is how the belts are known to snap. what some people do is add a few extra washers, tighten it right up then back off so it acts as a safety barrier for the belts under landings (meaning itl slip on a landing to absorb impact). again if you know this stuff sorry
Old 11-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

Hi Paul, thanks for the tips. I did bed in the diffs and have them re-adjusted with the front being almost completely locked and the rear being slightly looser. The slipper is set now with a slip at full throttle on carpet at about 3 feet or so, and the clicker is in the stock setting.

Still makes a bit of growl on a hard launch from full stop on carpet, but I probably won't ever see traction like that on any race track. Might just be belts breaking in, or the slipper doing the same.

Thanks for the tips.

doug
Old 16-02-2006
Administrator

Phew, Review is up and done... In the end I didnt get a proper race with the car, the racing was rained off.
But I'll be updating the review with how the car is going after its first race and further races.
Old 16-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

looks great Jimmy, I have only scanned it so far, I will sit down and read it in more detail later.

good work.... but I can't believe you put an image of my car with its 'temporary' body on :P
Old 16-02-2006
Administrator

hehe apologies mate! Couldnt find many decent ones of yours.. only got 1 at telford and it was a BOD moment.. you were the only one heading for disaster..
Old 16-02-2006

Had a quick scan of this earlier, will give it a proper read when the boss isn't on the prowl. Looks like great work as usual Jimmy, I'll hopefully be around when you're testing if it's held at the usual venue...

Just one tiny nitpick, but I'm an obsessive sod and pick these things up - I think the rear wishbones are 'reversed' in the original XX-4 manual and then in the WE Addennum it says to run them in correct orientation, i.e L on left, R on right. Like you stated though, it's a bit of a bind juggling both manuals and is also a viable tuning option!
Old 16-02-2006
Administrator

Really? oops, see how confusing swapping manuals can be. I'll have a look at revising that tonight mate, cheers.
Old 16-02-2006

Great review Jimmy, I also will read it all in depth when not working, and as good as the XX4 is I just refuse to change to it having spent so much on my XXX4G +… I’ll be saving my pennies for the next ‘new’ release from Losi.

Love the paint job you did as well car looks well wicked... you going to be selling it? Dam, I just said I wouldn't buy one doh!
Old 16-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yes, please don't use that bod moment, you chose the best one

you should have the wishbones on so that they have the longest wheel base, look at the roll bar mount, the side where the mount sticks out the furthest from the wishbone should go to the front.

the L on L or R on L thing confuses me too.
Old 16-02-2006
Administrator

Cheers bathy,
Aye will be selling it soon with all the optional bits i put on for the review taken off tho. So it will be a new built standard car with blank shell.. it did 5 mins for photos and testing.. I have another (older) XX4 worlds for the racing.
Old 16-02-2006
Administrator

I thought that was wrong at the time chris, I thought the trend was for longer wheel base... AND you couldnt see the "graphite" properly!
Old 16-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

one thing I noticed, when you are looking at 'page 1' the link at the top and bottom '6' to page 6 takes to the pred page 6, most of the other pages seem OK.

once you have fixed it, delete this post... shhhhh