Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-01-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I could quote scary stories about both types of cells, but I dont think there is a point. The main reason for concern with LiPo is the overlap of non-lipo ready and Lipo enabled hardware, and it isn't so much the experienced racer, it is the basher and fun racer, we all know them don't we.

re: insurance, as I said before, if you check with the BRCA, the insurance olny covers accidents inside the track area, not anywhere else. If a cell has gone pop in someone's face, then, in the end, you have to take it up with the distributor/manufacturer, and then you got to prove that the item was faulty and that you were charging it in accordance with their guidelines.

The biggest issue with both types of cells, is basicaly you got concentrated chemical bombs, in such a small unit, they are storing vasts amount of energy, and all it takes is for one thing to go wrong, and bang.

There isn't a need for heated discussion on this, reasoned debate is far more constructive over this.
Old 19-01-2007

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

dcm how come the brca insurance offers up to a million third party insurance? so if i injured some one in tesco car park they could claim off me and im covered
Old 19-01-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Skelding View Post
Hmmm.
Only just started reading this topic. Thought I might pass on my thoughts..
If people really believe that team drivers have that 'big' a gap in their stuff to off the shelf stuff.
Come ask me to swap cells or motors...

That's my honest opinion
Interesting stuff Adam. My point though is that if I attendeded the Nationals this year it would cost me a fortune. A large percentage of drivers would be supported in some manner, this is a significant financial benefit, I buy un-matched cells (the cheapest I can find) and I run the odd motor I get off e-bay ! Hardly top spec 'Team' kit. I, as many other simply can't afford to be right the pace, my driving isn't up to it I know, but it's crap to be simply out powered. Surely Lipo / Brushless will significantly change this and in the long run it will be significantly more affordable for all.

It's the Batley Super cup soon, and my main memory of last year (I think it was last year) was the 4wd battle between Chris Doughty & Steve Lawson, Chris was flying past Steve down the straight, such was his power advantage and Steve's car is no slouch ! I'd like to see the 'Gap' close it's there for all to see and I reckon standardising kit, i.e we all buy pretty much the same thing, i.e Lipo is the way to go.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk

Last edited by andys; 19-01-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 19-01-2007

For your info, I got a new charger with my LiPo.

one of these....

and andys (as he has said in another post) got one of these...

both of them charge NiCad/NiMh/LiPo/Pb at 5 amps. But, it doesn't seem to matter what you charge them at the charger adjusts the amp's down to nowt by the end of the charge. I love my charger the screen lights up blue!!

andys's charger can be powered from the mains also, but mine is came with all the cables and is small and silent.

Brett

EDIT!! This is my 50th Post!!! Yey!!

Last edited by bretts; 19-01-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: This is my 50th Post & I didn't notice
Old 19-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Andy, I think you might mean Ellis and he was there last year but Chris has never been to my knowledge. I would also like to point out last year I was in the mix and even leading at one point until I got gaffa tape stuck in my driveshaft and had to pull out This is the biggest point of the thread so far as far as I'm concerned!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 19-01-2007

pesky gaffa tape!! it always spoils the fun!!
Old 19-01-2007

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

reason for that is that although you specify 5 amp a lipo charger will reach the pre programed voltage, then charge at a constant voltage and dropping the amps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts View Post
For your info, I got a new charger with my LiPo.

one of these....

and andys (as he has said in another post) got one of these...

both of them charge NiCad/NiMh/LiPo/Pb at 5 amps. But, it doesn't seem to matter what you charge them at the charger adjusts the amp's down to nowt by the end of the charge. I love my charger the screen lights up blue!!

andys's charger can be powered from the mains also, but mine is came with all the cables and is small and silent.

Brett

EDIT!! This is my 50th Post!!! Yey!!
Old 19-01-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan.

Your memory serves you well my son.
It was indeed Ellis. His car was so fast it was unbelievable. I reckon if you'd have being running Lipo's the power to weight ratio of your car would have being such that the Gaffa wouldn't have stuck, and you could have won Another great reason for Lipo's

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 19-01-2007

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Hi,
On the pack blowing up in someones face. Guess I'm going on second hand news here... I heard at the Neo race it was a LiPo pack..
Obviously it seems, not and I stand corrected... Apologies for misrepresentation.

We've all seen horror stories.

@Mark. Let me correct you here. I do not work for Mirage.... a common misconception....I work for HPI and Hot-Bodies.... and also of course Edit... there is a a big difference!!!!! I represent brands that Mirage import through various forms of racing but i no way do I work from them... HPI and Mirage are completely seperate entities.

I'm not getting heated, just pointing out a view...which I believe is the point of a forum.

I'm all for making the sport a cheaper place and I belive it's why Off-road is becoming more popular, there is less of a gap in off road than in any other class.

Go touring car racing.... you know need 5cells which because of the amp drain will kill the cells much quicker than 6 cells.

Buying cheap unmatched cells sometimes seems a cheap way of going racing, but for the extra outlay for some matched cells you would get much better value for money... My cells are over a year old know and have had some serious hammer. 32 meetings in all and they are still going strong...

Infact they are coming up for re-newal.... If you want to buy some decent cells that are better and cheaper than the unmatched ones....you know where to come...