Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 03-01-2008
Stu-Perstar

Default 2008 Battery Rule?

Just heard that 2008 may not run 4200nims. Going back to 38's. Can anyone tell me?
Old 03-01-2008
Mad Member

Wait for the new BRCA list to be published. They are being stricter on the cell length and some cells may be out. But it is all up in the air until the list comes out.
Old 03-01-2008
Mad Member

Hard cased lipos would be a nice addition.
Old 03-01-2008
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

any idea when this list will be out as just bought new cells and will need as much time as poss to change if i have to
Old 03-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Oh bugger when are the BRCA going to learn that not everyone can afford to change cells as they change the EB lists, this is gonna meen i cant race till June (Birthday) and then in June i cant get a new hauler that i will more than likely need by then.
Old 03-01-2008

It would be nice to know when the list will be published.

Depending wether or not East Power 4200's are allowed, will dictate if I can enter any Nationals.

After spending a lot of money recently on new cells I cannot afford to replace them.
Old 03-01-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Guys, it's nothing new. The cells have to be submitted by 31 December, and the list is usually published during January. Buying new cells this close to the new list being released isn't a great idea.
Old 03-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Guys, it's nothing new. The cells have to be submitted by 31 December, and the list is usually published during January. Buying new cells this close to the new list being released isn't a great idea.
I bought some East Power cells in the begining of November.

I thought new cells will normally be added to the list in January, rather than cells already listed becoming illegal ?
Old 03-01-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
Oh bugger when are the BRCA going to learn that not everyone can afford to change cells as they change the EB lists, this is gonna meen i cant race till June (Birthday) and then in June i cant get a new hauler that i will more than likely need by then.
I dont think it will be effecting regionals. Just nationals and euros. So i wouldnt worry about buying new cells. Im sure the brca will be making the right decision

LiL ben
Old 03-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

post from BRCA

New Batteries for 2008
And I bet this thread gets read a few times...

This is the process.

Manufacturers have until the end of December to send in their sample cells for homologation testing.

Just like everyone with a deadline to meet they leave it until the very last minute to send them in - the last package being delivered by courier at 7pm on New Years eve..

So there are now lots of cells being measured, charged, measured again, discharged, measured and tested and lots of paperwork to check, and this is all being done in somebodies spare time.

It'll be finished when its finished - which will be in plenty of time for everybody to decide what's the best thing on the list and to go out and get them for the start of the new national season.

In the meantime we'll all just have to wait, which is unusual in the current world of "we must have the new and shiny stuff immediatly" but I doubt it'll cause any lasting physical damage..
Old 03-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

think its due to dimension changes as to why cells are going to end up illegal?
Old 03-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
think its due to dimension changes as to why cells are going to end up illegal?
I might have to get the Dremel out then !!!

JOKING !!!
Old 03-01-2008
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

i wasnt trying to say anything out of line just i need to start saving if i need 300 quid for new cells
Old 03-01-2008

hi all,

Will the current batch of cells that are ' Fine to use week in week out at the moment' suddenly become illegal???

What will happen to the cells over night that will make them illegal?

JIm
Old 03-01-2008

from what I understand, manufacturers and matchers have had two years to conform to this rule. Cells are now going to be measured directly after charge for homologation. As I understand it, only one cell had been submitted, but there maybe more. I can understand the ruling etc, but I think what the BRCA has to be careful with, is then wiping all the cells homologated in the last two years off the list. That would be my biggest concern at the mo, after only recently buying 5 packs of IB4200.
Old 03-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Well i bought 3 packs of cells at he beggining of July, i spent £100 but i intended them to last at least till Christmas 2008 and even if there 'OK' for regional use, id still feel guilty using them, i felt guilty using an illegal motor on club nights
Old 03-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guy's, chill out ..... It'll all become clear sooner rather than later! There will be a lot to do but if the guy doing the lion's share of the work is true to previous form we won't be held in suspense for too long.

I am keen to know too as I have less than a dozen charges on my current IB4200s and will, like a few others, have a little frown if they are thrown out for 2008 but thems the breaks!!!!

As for £300 for cells ... how many packs do you think you need? At the price Stormforce sell cells for you could have 8 packs for that and still have £20 left to put towards Neil building them up for you!

At £60 a pack you still can by 5 packs, surely that would be enough even for those who regularly take part in 3 leg finals????!!!!!????
Old 03-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
from what I understand, manufacturers and matchers have had two years to conform to this rule. Cells are now going to be measured directly after charge for homologation. As I understand it, only one cell had been submitted, but there maybe more. I can understand the ruling etc, but I think what the BRCA has to be careful with, is then wiping all the cells homologated in the last two years off the list. That would be my biggest concern at the mo, after only recently buying 5 packs of IB4200.
didnt the brca measure the cells for the list last year? surely they did and knew the size i see that they found this rule to cover the blowing up problem caused generally by total missuse ive run these cells for two years all still ok also can they ban previously legal stuff i think some common must apply ie a six month transition period or theres gonna be a lot of people stuffed for racing
Old 03-01-2008
Mad Member

Default also

who is doing these tests are they consultant experts in cell technology or laymen
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert digler View Post
didnt the brca measure the cells for the list last year? surely they did and knew the size i see that they found this rule to cover the blowing up problem caused generally by total missuse ive run these cells for two years all still ok also can they ban previously legal stuff i think some common must apply ie a six month transition period or theres gonna be a lot of people stuffed for racing
The difference is that last year the dimensions only covered brand new cells, the new rule ensures the cells stay within the ISO standard when they are used. The new dimensions rule was stated in the 2007 BRCA handbook, the new dimensions rule is from EFRA and was in their 2006 handbook as well so we have already had a 2 year transition period. If manufacturers don't adhere to the rules with 2 years notice then surely it's the manufacturers fault, not the BRCA or EFRA. There is nothing to say last years cells are actually illegal until they aren't on the list, as long as the manufacturer made their cells to the new dimensions rule, which happens to be the same as the ISO standard the cells should comply with anyway.

For those who have already bought cells for next seasons nationals, if you read your BRCA handbook it states every year the homologation list isn't published until January, so you should never buy cells before then assuming they would be on it. After all until the list is published there is no knowing what new cells will be added.