Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 13-01-2013

Default 17.5 too fast?

are 17.5t cars getting too fast how does it help beginers or cost concious drivers if 17.5 is faster in a straight line than a mod
i know this as i dropped a class due to odd numbers and my 2wd b4 with an 11.5t wasnt as fast as some 4wd 17.5t shall i just throw some more money at my car
paul dodsworth
Old 13-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

I think some of the cars in the 540 class may not have 17.5T motors in them, although I may be wrong.

However it is so cheap now to get a 17.5T set up that will fly that the cost is not a main issue.
Old 13-01-2013
Mad Member

I think you can still get reasonable top end on a boosted 17.5t motor geared up high.

I imagine similar to mod motors without the punch.
Old 13-01-2013

my point is that if your car is so fast why are you in the newbie class or do you fear being beaten by racing against comparable cars Brett made the a final 4wd mod with a silver can power will never replace skill i thought 540 class was where you learnt to drive then moved on not where you went to test the boundaries of speed control technology and boost curves the cheapest apex 17.5 set up is £110 that will easily run a 10.5 for the same price its about making an a final
Old 13-01-2013
Mad Member

No idea, I thought 540 class was like a spec class. With drivers of all levels. I was tempted to have a crack myself in it, but now I think i'd better not.
Old 13-01-2013

it so could be if a speedo has a boost function it will probably have blinky easy to police and comparable with brushed and most rtr brushless set ups
Old 13-01-2013

I'd be up for running in a policed PRO stock/spec class, not sure how many others would tho' as
it's too tempting to buy straight line speed.

Last edited by bretts; 13-01-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 13-01-2013
Mad Member

id put it to the organisers to tighten the rules. Would be a fun class.

Or buy a cheap sensorless brushless system and go faster
Old 13-01-2013

Default Yorcc classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainamigo View Post
id put it to the organisers to tighten the rules. Would be a fun class.
Yorcc classes of the website

We have three main categories of racing:

540/17.5T class – stock 540 sealed can or brushless 17.5 turn motors. This is a popular class for younger racers and beginners as well as those who fancy a slightly slower pace (though it’s still very competitive).

4WD Modified – No turn limit.

2WD Modified – No turn limit.
Old 13-01-2013

Default 17.5 and speedo deal

Hi all
I can do a deal on the speed passion r esc and speed passion 17.5t motors for under £100 for both.
And when your ready the speed passion r esc can handle motors as low as 5.5t.

Cheers Jason @ moss models ( yorcc shop ) 07903389921
Old 13-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
Hi all
I can do a deal on the speed passion r esc and speed passion 17.5t motors for under £100 for both.
And when your ready the speed passion r esc can handle motors as low as 5.5t.

Cheers Jason @ moss models ( yorcc shop ) 07903389921
That seems excellent value to me. Is that a legal system for mardave/suspastox do you know?

Can it run 1s lipo's?
Old 13-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

I think the "spirit" of the 540 class is for youngsters, beginners and old farts who can't see! (no offence meant).

At the last AGM a motion was passed that if you win the 540 championship you can no longer enter it. Policing it would be tough as time seems always so short and as has been pointed out a 17.5T car can fly just as fast as the mods. As I said it's the "Spirit" that counts.
Old 13-01-2013

Default Cheap 1s speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainamigo View Post
That seems excellent value to me. Is that a legal system for mardave/suspastox do you know?

Can it run 1s lipo's?
What about this speedo @ £48

CR173 - PACE 45 Brushles ESC 1s/2s

PACE 45 Brushles ESC 1s/2s

Introducing the new Core RC PACE 45 Brushless Speed Control. Exclusively designed to suit 1s lipo running for single cell GT12 classes of racing but also perfectly capable of running with 2s batteries with motors 10.5T and higher. Suitable for sensored or sensorless operation with Zero Timing ‘blinky’ mode as standard but additional timing programmable via the optional program card.* BRCA approved for 'Blinky' classes. (Profile #1)

The PACE 45 requires no additional booster for 1s use, just plug and play!!

Features

-Enhanced throttle response, excellent acceleration, strong brakes and throttle linearity.
-Using advanced software interface to set up or update the software or using the optional programming card to make adjustments.
-Using optional programming card to program forward or reverse throttle limit.
-Using optional programming card to program braking percentage.
-Multiple protection features: Low voltage cut-off protection, over-heat protection, throttle signal loss protection and motor blocked protection.
-Compatible with most sensored brushless motors including; Speed Passion, Nosram, Thunder Power, GM, Novak, LRP, Orion and more.
-Zero Timing ‘Blinky’ Mode.

Specification

-Supports 1-2s LiPos or 4-6 NiCd/NiMh Battery Packs.
-Forward/Brake with Reverse or Forward/Brake Options.
-Adjustable Low Voltage Cut-Off Protection.
-Easy Single Step Set Up System.
-Digital Program Card Available.
-Sensored or Sensorless Operation.
-Heatsink and Fan Included.
-10.5 Motor Limit.

CR174 - Optional program card available to allow multiple adjustments including;

1. Cut-Off Voltage
1=2.6v/cell* 2=2.8v/cell* 3=3.0v/cell 4=3.2v/cell* 5=3.4v/cell* 6=No cut-off
2. Running Mode
1=Forward No Reverse 2=Forward With Pause Then Reverse 3=Forward With Reverse*****
3. Motor Timing
1=Zero ‘Blinky’* 2=Low* 3=Normal 4=High** 5=Very High
4. Initial Acceleration
1=Low* 2=Medium* 3=High 4=Very High
5. Throttle Percent Reverse
1=20%* 2=30%* 3=40% 4=50% 5=60% 6=70%* 7=80%* 8=90% 9=100%
6. Throttle Limit
1=0%* 2=20%* 3=30% 4=40% 5=50% 6=60%* 7=70%* 8=80% 9=90%
*7. Percentage Braking
1=10%* 2=20%* 3=30% 4=40% 5=50% 6=60%* 7=70%* 8=80% 9=100%
8. Percentage Drag Brake
1=0%* 2=4%* 3=8% 4=12% 5=15% 6=20%* 7=25%* 8=30%
9. Motor Rotation
1=Normal* 2=Reverse
10. Neutral Range
1=2%* 2=3%* 3=4% 4=5% 5=6%* 6=10%
Old 13-01-2013

I think people are missing the point of the 540 class. On points night there are always people who normally run 4wd mod dropping to 540. I can only assume this would be to pot hunt...

There are people who wont run 540 on points night, I know, I live with one of them...

If there is to be no enforcement of the rules, or no level playing field then you may as well let people run whatever they want, and call it the "run what you brung" class.

At the very least it should be blinky enforced, its a bloody beginners class for crying out loud, and how are people expected to improve if the playing field isnt level?

The alternative is to run more classes, and given the 9 or 10 people running 2wd mod have, for the last 3 meetings, been shoved into 1 round to make room for more 540 and 4wd mod heats, I'm thinking we probably dont have the time...

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 13-01-2013

my point was that people are buying speed in a class that was for novices how good must it feel to beat the 10 year old with his silver can ansmann with your top of the rang ae or durango with a £100 motor combo its good that moss can supply a good upgradable combo but run it in blinky to level the playing field
Old 14-01-2013

Completely agree with you Paul, Blinky seems to be the way forwards for the 540 class...

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 14-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Brca approved list Speedos that do blinky aren't cheap, generally. The cheaper and more beginner level kit tends to not have proper blinky modes. You are then left with either checking everyones equipment for 0 timing and advance and no boost, or trusting that they have set it right. Someone will always "cheat" if they can.

I had this very same conversation with the OP Paul about Sherburn in Elmet mardave/Schumacher GT12 club at the meeting on Saturday. That club has chosen to go the proper brca blinky approved speedo and approved 13.5T motors on 1S route. This change has been successful for the club, far more drivers attending meetings than ever, good and fair competition, and drivers know they can go compete at any other brca club or event on a fair footing.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-01-2013
YORCC legend

There's also the issue of Lipos - not all are created equal and there's a difference between someone running with the 20C pack that came with their car and someone with a 90C pack. Gearing too, plays a part.

But I'm with everyone else on this - the 540/17.5T class is there as a level playing field; a clubman/stock class for not just kids & beginners but those who don't want the size of their wallet (or their dad's) to determine how well they do. I've seen cars in that class do speeds that would easily outpace some modified racers.
Old 14-01-2013

This all sounds like it's a bit complicated & expensive to me

How about this (quick google)

Etronix Probe WP ESC 15t motor limit & Lipo cut off under £25
HPI Saturn 20t motor under £10

Ideal for beginners...then replace when confident to go faster.
Old 14-01-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

I must be way behind the times but wtf is blinky??