Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 23-11-2014

Default Advise for new member

Hi my son and I were members of bury about 6 yrs ago and are wanting to start racing again. We are a bit out of touch now as things move on so fast. I was looking at the Kyosho RB6 or a B 4.2. What are your thoughts and also when is the next race meeting so we can go along and become members once again. Thanks in advance.
Tony
Old 23-11-2014

Hi have a look at the Bury section for dates in the Events area. In regards to cars if you ask a dozen people you will get a dozen cars! You're probably best going down to a meeting and talking to a few drivers
Old 23-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi
I'm Si and I've been Bury's race controller since Roger Wood sadly died 2 years back.
You can find our meeting details here. The next indoor is on the 14th of December in Oldham, the next outdoors is the week after at Goshen. You can also follow our threads here

In terms of cars - we've got pretty much everything. Team C TM2's are currently the most popular choice for our outdoors track, but lots of other models work well. Indoors doesn't seem to suit the TM2 quite as much.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 23-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Hi
I'm Si and I've been Bury's race controller since Roger Wood sadly died 2 years back.
You can find our meeting details here. The next indoor is on the 14th of December in Oldham, the next outdoors is the week after at Goshen. You can also follow our threads here

In terms of cars - we've got pretty much everything. Team C TM2's are currently the most popular choice for our outdoors track, but lots of other models work well. Indoors doesn't seem to suit the TM2 quite as much.
That's where the tc02c evo comes in Si.

Depends how much you wanna spend
For example if money isn't a problem you could buy a high grip car and a low grip car....
But if you're just coming back into it and don't want to spend the earth, theres loads of cars but my advice would be one of these two;
Team c tc02c evo
Or
Associated B5m.
Both are good mid motor cars and both priced around £200
G Paint
Answer RC

Last edited by Gavin Collingwood; 23-11-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 25-11-2014

Default Team C TM2

Is this a new company I'm not familiar with them when I was last racing.
When I was last racing the associated B4 was the car of choice for 2wd.
Cheers Tony
Old 25-11-2014

Hi Tony,

I ran the RB6 most of this season and all of last season, I loved the car and had very little breakages in that time, a nice solid car and I have seen some secondhand bargains on oOple recently. As previously said there is quite a few different cars running at Bury and if you ask 10 different people what to get your probably going to get 10 different answers.

When I got back into the game I wasn't sure what car to get and ended up getting the one I personally thought would be the best/easy for the electrics to be installed and looked the best.

Get down the track and have a look at what's racing and the one you like the look of
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 25-11-2014

Cheers Stu I will deff be at the next race meeting. Might even see a few old faces. Does Dan Radcliffe still race?
Old 25-11-2014

Hi Tony,

In my opinion the 'best' choice of car would be the the most reliable option. There is nothing more frustrating when you are starting/returning to racing when you make mistakes and break your car a lot it's one sure fire way to fall out with the hobby very quickly.

You will be happy to learn that all brands of car have been significantly beefed up since even the Associated B4 days so race day breakages are less common but that said the very high end competition models are often use lightened components which offer a competitive advantage but at the same time lose a little robustness which could effect your decision in chassis.

The Kyosho RB6 ticks all boxes in terms of performance and durability, I ran one for a few seasons and was a great all rounder as Stu above says. The only down side is the price if you are to buy new as at £360 for the kit it's about the most expensive 2wd out there.

The Team C tc02c evo is a good performing car and well priced at £190 but does require some modifying to make work correctly. The included gear diff for example can be problematic so is usually replaced with a ball diff obviously at extra expense. That said Team C cars are very popular at Bury so spares/setup knowledge is readily available.

The Associated B5m in my honest opinion would be the best choice for you returning racer. The car is well designed, strong and works in all weathers. The instructions are second to none and you won't need any modifying to make it 'work'

Come down and watch for a meeting you will soon work out which car's take your fancy.

Chris
Old 25-11-2014

Sorry forgot to mention the TLR (losi) 22 2.0, almost certainly the most bullet proof 2wd car available

Chris
Old 25-11-2014

Are the rtr cars any good they come with everything required to get started.
Most manufacturers seem to do them.
Cheers for your help fellas
Old 25-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some of the RTR's (the Durango 210 and Losi 22) come with a decent sensored brushless system - most don't. The 210 RTR especially is a really good deal at just £160 from MB Models. Quite a number of new racers turn up with one of them.
It can be upgraded to full 210 V2 spec relatively cheaply. There are a few people run 210's at Bury though its not as popular as it used to be. They are totally bulletproof with a few upgrades though - I should know as I run one and I'm a terrible driver! The 210 RTR comes as a rear motor, but with about £15 worth of parts can be changed to the mid motor everyone uses.

However

The included motor is rather slow. Fine for a complete novice but pretty limiting otherwise. Unfortunately the included esc doesn't have much capacity for a better motor either. The result is that its a cheap way into racing with a reasonably effective chassis, but you will be looking at a big payout for a decent esc and motor not far down the line.
The same goes for all the other RTR's too.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 25-11-2014

RTR car's are ok but always come in rear motor configuration which are nowhere near as suited to Astro racing as mid motor chassis cars so you would ultimately change cars fairly soon in order to compete.

However as you say it will come with everything you need other than Lipo and charger so it can be cost effective to get going if that's all you need for now?

If you add it up buying a rolling chassis kit along with some middle of the road electronics you will be surprised that it won't actually cost that much more when you add it up but you would end up with far better equipment then you would get in any RTR car.

The best RTR in terms of equipment is the Kyosho RB6 which comes with Orion equipment but it's not that cheap to buy especially as you would need to replace the full set of wheels and tyres for something suited to the uk on top, kit cars just come with wheels for you to fit the tyres of choice so you aren't paying for things you don't need.

Chris
Old 25-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

RB6 RTR comes with a sensorless low KV system. Slow but quite jerky - it might be Orion but its there very very lowest spec model and not very good.
Its a real shame because if it had a slightly better system it would be the top RTR out there easily.

RB6, 210 and 22 RTR's all come with most but not all mid motor parts. Don't know what the RB6 needs but the other 2 cost around £15 and about 30 mins work to convert so its hardly a headache.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 26-11-2014

Thanks for all your input fellas
It's very much appreciated.
Tony