Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > S-Workz

Old 14-09-2015

I've only got as far as building the front and rear end so far so still have a little way to go yet. As Steve says you will have to hit things pretty hard to break the wishbone on this car, there is plenty of beef around the inner hingepin. To be honest since I returned to racing 3 years ago I haven't broken a wishbone on any car, front bulkheads seem to be the weak spot of most modern car's but time will tell with the Evo.

I will be running Absima electronics as Answer do not offer any 10th options at the moment and will be running exclusively in shorty config as it gives the best overall weight distribution.

I have plans fairly soon to get an aluminium chassis made with 25degrees of kick up built in to create a proper forward motor 2wd car for high grip. To me it seems like it will be a fairly simple task to achieve by removing the forward drive shaft, the front drive shaft then remove the front diff and add weight into the front gearbox to keep some forward weight bias.

In shorty configuration the Evo mirrors the electronics layout of the Team C TM2v2 which is the best 2wd I've driven.

Time will tell,

Chris
Old 14-09-2015

Default thanks

Cheers Chris,

We've about 6 pairs of saddles that we use in the B5m, so was thinking of building in that config... be nice to have 1 one way and 1 the other to test against each other

I have an absima cts10, thinking of getting another to put in the 4wd - just unsure what motor to use
Old 14-09-2015

The Absima Speedo's are great.. I actually have one for sale at the minute that has only been run for one meeting. If all you have is saddles simply run saddles. One of the main issues for me of the saddle config is the lack of space for mounting your electronics. I use Absima motors also as they have been faultless but these days most motors are good enough. The HPI range are very good for the money.

Chris
Old 19-09-2015

Default update

Hi chris have you finished the build yet?

not sure I anyone else knows but i received a suprise email off a local fast driver saying he's getting an evo shortly and offered help with setup, that 4 locals that I know of that will have an evo come October
Old 19-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickygeko View Post
Hi chris have you finished the build yet?

not sure I anyone else knows but i received a suprise email off a local fast driver saying he's getting an evo shortly and offered help with setup, that 4 locals that I know of that will have an evo come October
I would imagine a fair chunk of Answer RC drivers will be getting them.

Mine had its first proper run on Tuesday night at maritime racing. Was off the pace but got quicker every run. Finished 4th in the A which I'm pretty happy with given the level of competition at maritime.

The car is super strong and very responsive.
Old 19-09-2015

Default .

How come it was off the pace? its carpet at maritime isn't it?
Old 19-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickygeko View Post
How come it was off the pace? its carpet at maritime isn't it?
No new car is gonna be on pace with national F2 drivers on its first run lol. Yes carpet
Old 19-09-2015

Finally finished the build of mine today and intend giving it it's first run next Sunday at Bury.

I'm not totally happy with my shocks at the minute they feel as if they have a bit too much pressure when built so feel a bit springy on the bench. I've built them standard with 500/350 oils and fitted AE springs as I like they way they perform.
What oils have you built with Steve? My front end feels very soft and the car bottoms out quite easily when dropped.

Chris
Old 19-09-2015

Just putting the final touches to the build and will be running it at TORCH tomorrow for it's first outing

So far very impressed with build quality, tolerances extremely good and no major issues putting this together.

Chris...... I know what you mean about the shocks. I felt the same when initially building them. I've upped the wt front/rear to 600/400. I'm also running AE springs but wasn't happy with the fitment around the kit shock collars. I can confirm AE collars fit perfectly

Following tomorrow's first shakedown, I'll share our findings. Very impressed so far

Cheers,
Jason

SWORKz | Model Cars Reading | MB Models
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0705.JPG (663.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.JPG (540.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 19-09-2015

Default update

thanks for the updates guys.

be nice to see them with the bodyshells on,

looks like everyone has gone shorty setup.

been looking and theres also a thread on rctech for the evo
Old 20-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Finally finished the build of mine today and intend giving it it's first run next Sunday at Bury.

I'm not totally happy with my shocks at the minute they feel as if they have a bit too much pressure when built so feel a bit springy on the bench. I've built them standard with 500/350 oils and fitted AE springs as I like they way they perform.
What oils have you built with Steve? My front end feels very soft and the car bottoms out quite easily when dropped.

Chris
Hey Chris

I found that the kit shafts had far too much bite on the orings. I'll send you a pm.

Last edited by s22jgs; 20-09-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 21-09-2015

How d
Old 21-09-2015

Anybody run their car's this weekend? How did you find them?

Chris
Old 21-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Anybody run their car's this weekend? How did you find them?

Chris
+1 ... also waiting for some feedback how this thing performs on high grip tracks
Old 21-09-2015

Default Awesome

First Impressions.............. Awesome!

We ran two Evo's for the first time at TORCH Sunday and for both of us, very happy with the day and the car has huge potential

The track layout was changed to a more technical layout than usual for TORCH and the morning was met with a wet track due to the morning dew. Both cars in practice had loads of front end grip on the wet track. You'll never struggle with lack of front end on this car, it's got loads of front end grip to spare!

Track dried quickly for Q1 and now was the time to find out how the Evo handled high grip. Both cars had similar geometry setups, the major difference was shock oils and springs and diff oils.

Both cars still felt super soft on the shocks but put in on the track and it just handled everything you through at it. I did get grip roll when really pushing, but going up one rate on the springs solved that problem without needing to change anything else. With the small changes we both were making, the cars reacted to change very well and we understand each change after running.

We TQ'd and fastest lap with one of the cars and mine P4. Unfortunately I had to leave before the finals and couldn't contend the final but we had a P2 in the final.

The Evo is built to last, we had nothing break, nothing rattled itself loose and no faults or failures.

For a new car, first outing with no previous setup's to guide us, we expected a few teething issues to overcome but honestly, both cars ran brilliantly and we are both very impressed

We've still got plenty to work on, for me it'll be the shocks. They are very good quality but as part of building them, I drilled out the pistons to large holes and that is a mistake I wouldn't recommend trying to copy other popular shock setups from other manufactures, you will find it feeling too soft. Keep with the 1.5mm pistons and work around these. Only other item we'll check is the centre diff. One of the cars leaked oil, but the other car was much better so we'll check if it was a build issue. The diffs use a single o-ring for the outdrives, so maybe this had an issue on one of the diffs. Something simple to rectify.

For both of us, we've never ran the older car, so first time running SWORKz and the Evo. We learnt a lot, both build and racing. We'll apply a few more ideas for this weekend's Summer Series round at TORCH and hopefully make further improvements as we learn the car.

File Type: jpg IMG_0711.JPG (553.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 21-09-2015

Thanks Moggers for the detailed report.

An issue I have heard about with this car is too much rear weight transfer causing the car to squat heavily on power then transfer forward aggressively off power, you don't mention anything of the sort so it could simply be an oil/spring issue I'm hoping. I'm going to be running my car for the first time next weekend so will share my findings as and when.

Could you share what springs and oils you found worked for you? From what I'm reading I'm thinking people will need a slightly heavier oil setup on this car especially in the rear. Those look like AE springs also if I'm not mistaken?

Many people are finding that their shocks suffer from a lot of stiction when built out of the box, did you find this also? I believe this is being fed back to Sworkz so hopefully future kits will be improved. The stiction has been put down to the Orings and shock shafts causing a little bind but could be isolated cases in some kits not all. A tip by Steve on here is to run Kyosho Orings and shock shafts from the RB6 and this eliminates the issue resulting in a more consistent shock package... I shall be trying this mod myself.
Another thing that concerns me but not all I may add is the amount of play where the top of the shocks mount to the shock mounts. There is a fair bit of slop before the suspension stroke kicks in which I'm not totally happy with. It appears as though three should be a small sleeve over the shock mount for the shock to pivot on similar to other brands such as Schumacher but there isn't. It's not the most elegant solution but I've wrapped a piece of duck tape (an exact width of tape) around each mount and it's removed the slop, cushioned the shock and still allows the shock to pivot on the mount properly. Just a small tip if it concerns anybody.

If you could share your diff setup also that would be greatly received by all also I'm sure.

Chris
Old 21-09-2015

the car does transfer weight F-R and R-F quite freely, as did the previous car.

biggest thing you can probably do is change the centre diff oil. I am running 500k, and will be trying 1mil. It definately does not squat as much on power with the thicker oil.

Beyond that, ad some anti squat at the rear, and anti dive at the front.

currenly running 10k in front diff and 8k in rear, but they feel very free still..i have some other things to work on Tomorrow, but after that i might try 20 and 15
Old 21-09-2015

I'll try and post up a setup later, but a couple of things I ran Sunday;

Shocked built with kit shock shafts, but I did replace with O-Rings with AE X-Rings. No issues experienced and no leaks at all. Pistons drilled 1.6F and 1.7R but makes it way too soft. I'd keep with kit pistons (1.5x2) which I'll put back in for this weekend.
Springs are AE. Red fronts and started with Black rear's but changed to Green on rear once grip came up.

Ran 20k front diff oil and 10k rear. Centre was 500k. We'll be testing 1mill this week.
I ran small amount of anti-squat on the rear with high roll centres F&R. Didn't find major issues with it squatting that much, but will continue to try other settings.

Honestly, didn't find any issues with building the shocks, so maybe the AE O-Rings helped straight off. My mistake drilling the pistons out, which I'll rectify this week.

This week I may try slightly lighter diff oils, especially in the front, all depends on weather conditions next week.

Happy to help and share where I can,

Cheers,
Jason

Old 21-09-2015

Sorry Chris, you mention an issue with mounting the shocks. The kit comes with a plastic collar that sits inside the shock cap and eliminates any slop. It's a plastic part on the SW-2501807 parts set. From what you've explained, sounds like you've missed this? We've had no issues mounting the shocks on the shock mounts.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 21-09-2015

I've obviously missed the collars in the manual, I took another look but couldn't see so thanks for clearing that up, I did think it seemed odd tbh.

Thanks for the setup advice. I've only got the 100,000 kit diff oil for the centre at the minute so it appears I should pick some thicker ones up as it's on the thin side.

Chris