Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 05-04-2016

Default Front wings

I've notice a lot of people are fitting wings on the front shock tower of 2wd buggies. Has anyone tried one? Do these make much of a difference and is this something a average driver would notice?
Old 05-04-2016

Default Front wings

Hi Daniel,
They're not front wings but shock tower protectors.
Mainly it's to protect the surface (usually carpet) of the track you're running on in the event of a crash. it does also help the shock tower survive the crash more often and also not let the shock tops get so damaged.
Most are made using old rear wings and the like.
Hope that helps

Tony
Old 05-04-2016
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Incorrect Tony, alot are using front wings now - its an older trend coming back around. We used to have them on Losi XXX's and the original B4.

I'd say its track specific wether you need to use one, if you need more high speed steering, add one, if you dont, then leave it off
Old 05-04-2016

Hi

We're nearly all running proper front wings at 1066 Racing. Top boys swear by them, I've had better results since using one but I'm sure it's half in my head and half more driving for me recently.

They're only cheap, give it go. Usually come in packs of two, some are car specific to match shock mounting holes. I'm running B5m but with B5 tower...so make sure to order exactly right one for your tower!
Old 05-04-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nites View Post
They're not front wings but shock tower protectors.

Jconcepts and Pro-line both make proper front wings for 1/10th electric cars.

JConcepts do two designs, one that's held in place by the shock mounts on the front shock tower and the other that has a small bracket enabling you to mount it almost in the line with the front camber links.

Daniel you know I ran one at NBC and went on to win the regional with it

Although a subtle change it did seem to keep the car more planted along the straight and also reduced the nose high attitude when jumping, it also helped a smidge with keeping a tighter line on the sweeping turns.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 05-04-2016

I've run quite a few different front wings and tried to get a feel for what effect each one has, but I think there's no right or wrong wing to choose - a lot seems to be personal preference.

They do change the way the front end reacts at high speed, so they definitely aren't the placebo that a few drivers make them out to be. The current trend started with shock tower mounted ones that sit up high, like the JConcepts and Team Azarashi offerings. My first run with a front wing was with Serpent's own offering, which is very XXX-esque, but I found that it made the front end a little too snatchy for my liking. It would probably work on a looser surface with very little front end grip available.

The next one I tried was the same piece of lexan but mounted behind the shock tower, like the ones Jörn Neumann has run in various guises over the past few years, and this one suited me well. Front end didn't snatch, the steering was very smooth and it jumped level. I'm currently running the Azarashi Great wings which are shock tower mounted but a little shallower and higher up, and whilst they don't feel quite as smooth at high speed, they jump just as well. I think there's far more of an effect on jumping level instead of any great changes to high speed steering.

The new trend is to bring the wing in front of the shock tower again, but it's all preference. My next project is to try out some window scoops.
Old 05-04-2016
Mad Member

Yeah agree front wings are an excellent driving aid I've run the tower wings on the b5m and now the new lower j concept wing the lower wing gives more lower speed steering than the higher tower wing due to more of the front tower is covered

Both IMO are worth it
Old 06-04-2016

I stand corrected.
Not seen them where I am but will have a look.
more front end isn't something I've found I've needed on the kf2.

Cheers
Tony
Old 06-04-2016

Thanks for the advise, I will try one on by b5m. I think I'll try the Jconcept tower mounted one. Has anyone compared the narrow to wide wings, is there much diffence?
Old 06-04-2016
Mad Member

More or less downforce
Old 06-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
More or less downforce
Thanks discostu, I'd figured that out.
I meant is there a noticeable difference between them as the wings are tiny in comparison to the rear wing
Old 07-04-2016

Dose anyone know where to buy the proline front wings from ?
Old 07-04-2016

The Proline front wings aren't available here yet unfortunately.
After some prototype mount breakages they aren't releasing them to the world market until they are sure there aren't any issues (as I think the production are currently 3D printed), as trying to sort that would be a logistical nightmare - not to mention all the whinging that would go on of course .

Last edited by KRob; 07-04-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc3009 View Post
Thanks discostu, I'd figured that out.
I meant is there a noticeable difference between them as the wings are tiny in comparison to the rear wing
Yeah defo a difference in down force