Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 21-01-2018

Default Hirobo Zerda Refurb

The Hirobo Zerda is another of the cars i never had as a kid but would have liked , its a very early 4x4 electric car dating from 1985 , its notable for its entirely belt drive transmission , the motor has a pulley that runs a belt and a second belt to run to the front and rear diffs , the only gears are within the diffs ! this makes it the quietest rc car I've ever heard ,its hard to get a sense of speed from it its so quiet !.
Anyway here are a few pictured of it as it arrived .

After the pictures were taken it was stripped ,cleaned ,had new bearings fitted ,re assembled, shocks replaced and a driver and new decals fitted.

As with all my cars its going to get run , no shelf queens here i'm afraid .
Old 21-01-2018

I raced one - really good car. I modified mine - it became a mid motor - primary belt was dispensed with and a gear fitted. Had to make the bits. It was quicker & the battery lasted longer. It was a cracking car. Still got mine.

Enjoy it.
Old 21-01-2018
Awesome Admin

I’ve got some nip arms for one of these somewhere
Old 22-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC48 View Post
I raced one - really good car. I modified mine - it became a mid motor - primary belt was dispensed with and a gear fitted. Had to make the bits. It was quicker & the battery lasted longer. It was a cracking car. Still got mine.

Enjoy it.
I was tempted by a mid conversion but it's in really good condition and I'd hate to carve it up for a performance advantage that was lost 30 years ago !
Old 28-01-2018

The new rear shocks arrived and they fit well and are a match for the front ones , I've been swapping springs about to try and get a good set up , I still think the springs up front are a bit stiff but I have no softer ones that fit , I'm tempted to just add a little weight up front as that will help and might be good for the weight distribution as well , many people did a mid motor conversion bitd both for better weight distribution and to use a geared spur gear instead of the first belt off the motor so adding weight to the front won't be a bad thing , I don't want to do the mid motor conversion to this one .
I had to change my plans a bit for the motor , I had planned on running a brushed set up but my friend who I mostly drive with has just ordered a Schumacher CAT re re and is planning on running a brushless motor so I've stripped a mild non sensor brushless set up out of another car and fitted it , wow ! It really goes :mrgreen: and the belt only slips a bit on breaking not under acceleration .

Old 29-01-2018

Wow that is a nice bit of fun you have there! And great to hear it is in use. It's a shame there is not really any video capability here (AFAIK). If you do make a video, please be sure to post a link to youtube or wherever so we can see the goodness. Have fun!