Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Tiverton Radio Controlled Car Club

Old 31-08-2015

Default Want to race again

I haven't raced since 1989 and am thinking of racing at T.R.C.C.C next season.
I have an RC10 gold pan and need advice on modern electrics for it, brushless motor, ESC, lipo etc(on a tight budget)?
I know it's an old car, am I gonna get laughed off the cicuit? I used to win with it.
Will I have any chance of keeping up or should I not bother and save up for something modern?
Old 31-08-2015

Default Race

I've not raced at Tiverton but can't imagine anyone will laugh at you... There's loads of people on oople still keen on the rc10 . I got back into racing last year buying a re re Tamils egress kit, but soon ended up buying newer buggy a etc as I caught the bug again. Personally I would recommend buying the best electrics in your budget and racing the rc10 ... Then if you catch the bug again you can always upgrade the buggy and transfer the electrics.
Happy racing

http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153192

Feedback ebay:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=szymanski2oo1

Linkedin:
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanszymanski

Old 31-08-2015

Thanks, I'll probably give it a go with the RC10.

There is so much choice of electrics, can someone tell me the difference between censored and non censored motors and esc's?

And are there any good model shops left in Devon that give good face to face advice?
It was all so easy in the 80's
Old 31-08-2015
Mad Member

Rc10 is still a quick car, although if this is an 1989 version it might be better to save as a vintage and getting even a low cost more modern version to use in the rough and tumble of day to day racing.
Sensored motors have a separate lead between motor and ESC and it makes the power delivery much smoother as it constantly communicates.
I did have an unsensored Orion which was almost as smooth, but also had an unsensored leopard cheap ESC and motor combo which was rubbish and would "cog" all the time (car doesn't seen to want to set off without a kick). I'd always recommend to go Sensored simply for the smooth acceleration.
I use speed passion stuff and it is great. There is cheaper available and also pricier.
If putting modern electrics in old RC stuff, don't be tempted by power - I'm told one can mess up an old gearbox quite quickly with a hot motor. 10.5 turn should be as fast as I'd go. I have an old original optima which I limit to 13.5 turn as there is no slipper clutch to protect the gears. Don't know if '89 rc10 has a slipper?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 31-08-2015

You wont get laughed off, but you may find its not all that competitive. It's worth a go though, if you find it holding you back you can buy a newer buggy and all the electrics will just transfer over.

Theres not many RC Shops left, especially in Devon. I'd recommend RC Octane in Dunkeswell, John really knows his stuff and has all the toys you'll ever need. http://www.rcoctane.co.uk

However if you're on a serious budget, then online is your best bet. Hobbyking offer good quality items at extremely cheap prices. You're looking at motors for £20, ESC's for £25, batteries for £20 and I can personally vouch for their quality. Go down to RC Octane first & see what he has on offer though.
Old 01-09-2015

You won't get laughed off with a Gold tub as we have another driver who often runs one but may find it a little frustrating given the size of the track and the speed of more modern cars.
The club is supported by two model shops, South West RC from Weston and Action Model Centre from Torquay, both of whom are often trackside at our meetings and understand what the club races as well as having a wealth of experience in RC racing themselves, both have mail order facilities in place if you are not local give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help.

What I would recommend is coming down on either the 13th or 27th of September having a look at the racing and a wander around the pits. We have a great group of racers who will answer any questions you may have.

If I can be of any help drop me an email trcccsecretary@gmail.com.

All the best

Gary
Club Secretary
Old 03-09-2015

Thanks for the advice, very useful.
I live near Torbay, so I will check out Action Model Centre, and I will come and watch some racing on the 13th.
Thanks again for your replies
Old 08-09-2015

Hi
I run a club at Tipton St John near Ottery St Mary.
Our next meeting is tomorrow night starting at 7pm.
Directions can be found at TRCMCC.CO.UK and we have a section here on Oople.
We occasionally run a vintage heat. I ran a gold pan RC10 at Tivvy
a few years ago. It went pretty well. But as above I would limit your
Motor to 13.5.
You are most welcome to come along and have a look. We will be able
to help with plenty of advice.

2014 & 2013 BRCA 4WD 1/10 Off Road Southwest Regional Champion
1998 BRCA 1/10 IC Circuit British Champion
www.racing-cars.com/
WWW.WESTCOUNTRYRESORTS.CO.UK
WWW.TRCMCC.CO.UK

Last edited by Paul Field; 08-09-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2016

Default Tyres

Got myself some 2.2in wheels, what are the best tyres front and back for racing at TRCCC?