Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > NEAM Seaham Sunderland

Old 31-12-2013

Default Ramp build! update.....

I just been thinking about how we do our ramps, although they are good once built it seems a litte bit of a chore and sometimes takes longer to build than the track!

So I have come up with some ideas, some very rough sketches that I have done but hopefully you will get the idea

My idea would be that they are basically independent sections that would just push together to make various layouts, I have kind of drawn them as a straight table top and a corner table top but they wouldn't have to be like this all the time

I would maybe have the idea of having castors and or rubber feet on the bases so the sections can be wheeled in and out easy as the 8x4 sheets are heavy and hard work lifting at the mo, the rubber feet would protect the floor. I don't think the storage would be too much of a problem as the would nest together and possibly slide under the rack if it was sorted out a little

I can knock these up no problem and I am willing to get everything together to do them, transporting the maybe a slight problem as my van isn't the biggest but I could make them/ transport a couple of parts every other week or as and when I get time to do them

Now the bit I'm not sure about, the budget! Would the club have some/ be willing to spend a little money on doing this? I have a very rough idea of the cost of the wood ect to do but maybe this needs to be talked about?

Any ideas thoughts ???????? Good idea/bad idea ?????

Last edited by Andyp; 10-06-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Sounds and looks good that.
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Hi Andy.
I think this a great idea, thanks for looking into it. Our ramp building equipment is getting a little tired. Much appreciated you are looking into it, let's get some feedback on budget, but I don't think it should be an issue.

I think we also need to get a new printer.

I can order one. Thinking of this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/399467-canon-i...ter-6374b005aa

Or this
http://www.ebuyer.com/399464-canon-i...ter-6374b003aa
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Both look good options Chris

Toner is around £35-£55 for either of those models.
which should hopefully only need replaced maybe once or twice per year.

If I were handy with tools and drawings and such i would like to have made a round camel hump type jump.

with any jumps that get made, could we maybe perma stick some carpet to em?
Old 31-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
let's get some feedback on budget,
Who's can make the decision Chris?

Is this what you are talking about Afro? It Wouldn't be very hard to make really.
Old 31-12-2013

i thought of this a while back, if you use the 8x4 boards we use at the moment they will be pretty heavy but if you build around a light weight frame work and spars from side to side then thinner lighter ply would mean easier to store and carry...but the idea is there, also be easy to build yumps with a frame and flexable ply....get the money out and start building andy
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

I guess it's the committee, How much is needed ? £100 to 200? If we have a rough number, then we can say spend or don't spend.
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp View Post
Who's can make the decision Chris?

Is this what you are talking about Afro? It Wouldn't be very hard to make really.
Yeah something like that but with maybe 2 separate humps with a bit of height so they can be used together or separate.
not sure how difficult or easy it would be

if al this is up to the committee then I think we've actually got stuff to discuss at the AGM
Old 31-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty boys motorsport View Post
i thought of this a while back, if you use the 8x4 boards we use at the moment they will be pretty heavy but if you build around a light weight frame work and spars from side to side then thinner lighter ply would mean easier to store and carry...but the idea is there, also be easy to build yumps with a frame and flexable ply....get the money out and start building andy
Yeah I would like to go as thin as I can with the ply so it is light but it would still be quiet strong with the frame underneath but I kinda have an idea to have some wheels one end of each part so we can wheel them in and out abit like you would wheel a wheel barrow. The only time you would maybe have to lift them would be if they need stacking in the garage.

The number I estimated Chris's would be £200, to do what was in the first pic , a sheet of ply being £10-£15ish (depending on thickness), they are 9 sheets to do what I sketched in the first pic then I would need quiet abit of 2"x2" ( or maybe abit smaller) to make the frames at about £1.50 ish a 8' length

I would obviously shop around abit, they are quiet a few DIY and builders suppliers near me
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster
Thumbs up

Great ideas andy.....only problem i can see is the storage.....we would have to have a good clearout of the garage of what we need or dont need....maybe even move things around in the garage to make it easier to get the units in and out ???

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 31-12-2013
Mad Member

maybe a tidy and building day is in order?

its fortunate we are just across from a skip for anything we want to bin.
Old 31-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
Great ideas andy.....only problem i can see is the storage.....we would have to have a good clearout of the garage of what we need or dont need....maybe even move things around in the garage to make it easier to get the units in and out ???
Yeah I agree with you there Dex but I think most of it will will go under the racking that we have ..... In my mind we will just have to tidy where the boards go already and then clear out where the wheelbarrow is and the rest should go under there?

The ramp bits will nest together and maybe worst case they will need lifting and stacking onto each other
Old 31-12-2013

Go for thin ply for the boards poss 6mm should be strong enough
Old 31-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO View Post
Go for thin ply for the boards poss 6mm should be strong enough
Yeah Davo, I wasn't planning on going any thicker than 10mm... I'm not too sure about going too thin incase people decide to jump/climb on them, The thinner I go the cheaper also !!
Old 31-12-2013

Might be to complicated but Is there any way we can make a cross over jump piece of Perspex for the top so it's see through just in case cars don't clear the gap
Also a double step jump would be good as long as it doesn't block vision of the rest of the track
Old 31-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO View Post
block vision of the rest of the track
I think that's what we have got to be carefully of Davo, we could end up too cluttered and not to be able to see the track
Old 01-01-2014

Obviously Andy's missus bought him some pencils for Christmas.

I think it's a good idea especially for Regionals. It would be a lot safer than taking the stage units as they tip too easily.

If everyone agrees I'd say use marine ply, it doesn't warp or fall apart when it gets wet.

We can sort it at the AGM. I don't think the money is going to be an issue

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-01-2014

I think we actually have a load of 2x2 in the garage as well.

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
Obviously Andy's missus bought him some pencils for Christmas.
Etch 'a' sketch actually !!!!!

Ya marine ply would be good, but it will obviously be more expensive!! For how many times they would be used out doors I think normal ply would be ok as they would only be used outdoors one weekend a year, it might not even rain that weekend! If they did get wet the would soon dry out with little damage I think

When is the AGM like? I'm mentioning it now as apart from racing I have a few quiet weekends coming up i think and I'm sure I can get out in the garage for abit to do them.

If every one is ok with it can i not get some bits together and get on with it ??
Old 01-01-2014

Crack on, I'm fine with it something needs to be done. If we can use some of the existing boards then even better. Let me know if you want them.

We've got to bear in mind that the garage is already tight of space. We could find a little more room with a tidy up but not much.

www.rccarshop.co.uk