Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 17-09-2013
Heansters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
Hi Martyn, it will be nice too see your son and yourself at our humble club, lol. We are a very friendly bunch and any advise you require will be given freely, that's with car setups and such like, looking forward too meeting you
Cheers mate I think after popping by tomorrow we will be down for the last Sunday event!
Old 19-09-2013
Heansters

Default Newbie vs Novice

Hi, I popped in last night, impressed with the track and it seems well organised. Didn't get chance to speak to anyone - everyone looked well busy. I may have described us as 'newbies' but there seems to be a distinct difference between 'newbie' and 'novice'. You couldn't get more novice than we are - two RTR buggies literally 'out of the box'!

I am wondering if my son and I would be better to go and get some practice in on a bit of waste ground before coming down again as you guys seem a little advanced, judging by the massive tool chests and copious cars in bits didn't see any other novices or kids (my boy is 11) and I am worried that we will be 'in at the deep end' i.e we have not driven either car before and to think that our first go with them will be in an actual race is a bit daunting...
Old 19-09-2013

Everybody has to start somewhere. If you go racing anywhere, just explain to who ever is on race control that you've never even run a car before and you'll get put in the bottom heat(beginners/novices).
Before you have your first race you'll be able to have a practice around the track.

The best way is just to run your own race,take your time and you'll soon get the hang of it. Don't try and race the others or that's where you'll come unstuck.

Just bashing on the street won't do you much good as you will need to learn the lines of the track(s) your running on and get used to having other racers around you.

Main thing is to go and enjoy it and if your unsure about anything ask👍

Phill
Old 19-09-2013
Heansters

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post
Everybody has to start somewhere. If you go racing anywhere, just explain to who ever is on race control that you've never even run a car before and you'll get put in the bottom heat(beginners/novices).
Before you have your first race you'll be able to have a practice around the track.

The best way is just to run your own race,take your time and you'll soon get the hang of it. Don't try and race the others or that's where you'll come unstuck.

Just bashing on the street won't do you much good as you will need to learn the lines of the track(s) your running on and get used to having other racers around you.

Phill
Thanks Phill, I'll be along next week
Old 19-09-2013

please come along, as phil has put we all start somewhere, the top heat at Mansfield probably has a combined experience well into the 100s of years of racing, and the only way you get competitive is to come and race, you havnt put what cars you run? my son who is now a regular B final winner broke his car in his first ever race at Mansfield 18 months ago so he is still classed as a novice, so don't worry about being new, there are plenty of us who will help to get you sorted out and on your way

Rich (team pink)
Old 20-09-2013
Heansters

Thumbs up

Quote:
please come along, as phil has put we all start somewhere, the top heat at Mansfield probably has a combined experience well into the 100s of years of racing, and the only way you get competitive is to come and race, you havnt put what cars you run? my son who is now a regular B final winner broke his car in his first ever race at Mansfield 18 months ago so he is still classed as a novice, so don't worry about being new, there are plenty of us who will help to get you sorted out and on your way

Rich (team pink)
Cheers Rich. As I said, cheap n cheerful we have a HPI Maverick Strada S and an Annsmann Mad Monkey. See you soon
Old 20-09-2013

no sure about the maverick but the monkeys are quite competative, there are quite a few at our club and quite a few of us race ansmann/team c cars so if anything gets broken there are enough of us to you back up and running
Old 20-09-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:

Rich (team pink)
100 years? i've got 30 just on my own! lol

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 22-09-2013

and I have 30 also, so you and me make more than half lol
Old 22-10-2013

Hi,
I want to get into RC racing, so wanted to check out what the local clubs are like. What night and times do you do if I wanted to come along for a look and chat? (Complete beginner!)

Thanks,
David
Old 22-10-2013

We race at Mansfield on Wed Nights (3rd floor) doors are open from 5pm til 10pm, just turn up everyone is really friendly and can give you some advise / help. I started racing two years ago and was in the same position as you, I now know what I'm doing - kind of

I wish I'd would have come to the club before I started buying things (cars, servo lipo etc) it would have saved me loads of £££..

See you there - Ask for Muz, John, Jason or Gaz
Old 04-11-2013

i am at work but it is Stuart telling u i come second place on Sunday morning and afternoon
Old 23-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post

Phill
I know this is an old post,but it's a good one.

My 20+ years of bashing means nothing.

At the track, I am a novice.
Old 28-01-2014

Question 4wd motor

Hi all,
Hoping to make my debut buggy night tomorrow, just finished building the Schumacher k1 Aero, what motors do you guys run in 4wd? I have 10.5 tekin redline or 7.5 cheapo, and what kind of FDR do you guys run?
Any other suggestions welcome as I normally only race touring car but fancy the buggy scene too.

Scott
Old 31-01-2014

hello all im lenny and im interested in starting rc racing so i called in at your wed night meeting this week and was very impressed with the turnout and what a freindly bunch you all are , im intending coming along to a few wed night meetings and asking lots of questions before i commit to shelling out for a car , in the meantime im a sponge for any nuggets of ideas and advice you may have starting out in the hobby

thanks Lenny
Old 01-02-2014

Hi Lenny.

I answered your post in the 1/10th buggy section and thought I'd post it here to improve the chances of you seeing it.

I would recommend jumping in at the deep end so to speak. Vrc won't prepare you for the track at Mansfield and bashing is NOTHING like driving on a race track. Stay away from 4wd buggies, no one runs them at Mansfield. A 2wd is needed.

Don't spend much on the buggy itself. A cheap team c will suffice, I have two retired rolling race chassis and may consider selling one for cheap.

Put your money into the radio and servo to give you the best chance of keeping it under control. I've seen too many beginners struggling to get clean laps With their top spec buggies because their radio system has so much lag and the servo is too slow and weak.

Radios- Stay well away from core, etronix, absima, ansmann and the other generic Chinese brands. Stick with Spektrum, KO Propo, Sanwa and Futaba. Do you want to use a stick or wheel radio?

Servos- Any metal geared Savox will do.

Sensored esc and motor combo is needed. The speed passion reventon s with 13.5 competition motor is plenty. I've won B finals in the past with less power.

As far as batteries are concerned, hard cased and the cheaper the better. Don't be sucked into spending loads of cash on them. The same goes for the charger.
Old 01-02-2014

Regarding your buggy mate you need to find one you will be happy with, you will get a lot of advise from people but ask if you can try it most people will be happy to show you how to race. Regarding ESC and Motors, most people run Duel Sky ESC and then a motor of personal choice. Batteries go to hobby kings website and look at there turnigy range they are great and cheap :-)

Shells by Number5designs

My Local clubs Mansfield & RHR
Old 01-02-2014

Hi Lenny

The best way of learning is to just come down and chat and we’ll talk you through stuff.

It’s difficult to know “where” and “what” to spend your money on when you’re staring out. I know I’ve made some mistakes that in hindsight I wouldn’t have make if I’d of asked first. Everyone at the club is friendly and we all like a good crack.

I would agree, the most important thing for me would be getting a good Radio (with end point and Expo), receiver and servo.

Again Stick or Wheel?

I have 2 wheel radio’s for sale if you’re interested, which you can try before you buy, your choice. Stick there may be some else who can give you advise on that one.

For me its Savox servos all the way, I run a Savox 1257 which I’ve ran for a year an a half with zero issue and I do hit it hard especially when the ‘red mist’ comes down. You will pay around £55 for one but its worth it.

Batteries, Lipo and chargers I would recommend Hobby King (type it into Google). I run Nano Tech lipo and they are great batteries and cheap as. Don’t buy tho until you’ve decided what car you fancy as some use either stick, saddle or shorty configuration.

Speedo and Motors, this is a personnel thing as there are loads of good ones on the market. This depend on budget but if you buy a good one you won’t have to change it out. I have a Speed Passion Revention (ESC and 7.5t motor) for sale that I ran for 6 month. This would be more than fast enough, may be too fast LOL, but you can turn it down.

Car’s, I would recommend, unless you have deep pocket, buy second hand. Look on the for sale section of oople you can find some real bargains.

My tip would be find out what most people are running and follow suit. This will help you to understand car setup and how to repair bit when you inevitably break something. This can also help if you don’t carry many spares, as someone may have something so you can continue racing.

People run:

Team C TM2
Durango 210
Xray XB 2wd
Kyosho RB 6
Yokomo
Schumacher Cougar KF /

All are good cars and there isn’t much between then, so your choice!

Other things to consider, Tool box / bag, 2mm & 1.5mm hex driver and other tools and personal transponder.

See you Wednesday
Old 01-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzie View Post
Hi Lenny

The best way of learning is to just come down and chat and we’ll talk you through stuff.

It’s difficult to know “where” and “what” to spend your money on when you’re staring out. I know I’ve made some mistakes that in hindsight I wouldn’t have make if I’d of asked first. Everyone at the club is friendly and we all like a good crack.

I would agree, the most important thing for me would be getting a good Radio (with end point and Expo), receiver and servo.

Again Stick or Wheel?

I have 2 wheel radio’s for sale if you’re interested, which you can try before you buy, your choice. Stick there may be some else who can give you advise on that one.

For me its Savox servos all the way, I run a Savox 1257 which I’ve ran for a year an a half with zero issue and I do hit it hard especially when the ‘red mist’ comes down. You will pay around £55 for one but its worth it.

Batteries, Lipo and chargers I would recommend Hobby King (type it into Google). I run Nano Tech lipo and they are great batteries and cheap as. Don’t buy tho until you’ve decided what car you fancy as some use either stick, saddle or shorty configuration.

Speedo and Motors, this is a personnel thing as there are loads of good ones on the market. This depend on budget but if you buy a good one you won’t have to change it out. I have a Speed Passion Revention (ESC and 7.5t motor) for sale that I ran for 6 month. This would be more than fast enough, may be too fast LOL, but you can turn it down.

Car’s, I would recommend, unless you have deep pocket, buy second hand. Look on the for sale section of oople you can find some real bargains.

My tip would be find out what most people are running and follow suit. This will help you to understand car setup and how to repair bit when you inevitably break something. This can also help if you don’t carry many spares, as someone may have something so you can continue racing.

People run:

Team C TM2
Durango 210
Xray XB 2wd
Kyosho RB 6
Yokomo
Schumacher Cougar KF /

All are good cars and there isn’t much between then, so your choice!

Other things to consider, Tool box / bag, 2mm & 1.5mm hex driver and other tools and personal transponder.

See you Wednesday
Some great advice here.

Your money will go much much further if you consider second hand. I'm pretty sure Muzzie used to use a Spektrum DX3c and if this is the one he has for sale then snap it up! great wheel radio!

Good call on the savox servo. I've been running a low profile 1251 for over a year and it's been flawless, £45 well spent. It's not uncommon for people to destroy the gears on 2 or even 3 'cheap' servos in one night! This won't happen with a savox 125x.

The speed passion combo Muzzie has for sale is a good setup, it's exactly what I use in my Yokomo and it is rapid. Too much motor for a beginner but still may be a good buy as the throttle can be down dialled to tame it.

The two rolling chassis I have are both Team C TP02c race spec buggies. They are identical to a TC02c but use stick/Shorty packs as opposed to saddles. They are good buggies and there's never a shortage of parts at the club.

If you want I could bring one of them next week for you to look at.
Old 01-02-2014

Wow some great advice there it's a lot to take in all at once , as for radio I'm not sure if I'd get on with wheel but I'll give it a try if the car I get has one with it but I'd prefer sticks I'm looking at used cars but being careful not to dive into something without first gaining some more knowledge
Hope to pop along to a few more club nights and ask many many more questions first