Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 23-11-2011

Default Pretty... NOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterdean View Post
Or this one? advice on both would be much appreciated

That might work but it looks bloody awful!!

Why would you pay a load of money for a conversion then spent more money (and time) making it look crap?!..
Old 23-11-2011

I agree with you it does look horrible but i'm just worried about the chassis bending for now until cml or one of the other pro builders make a prettier alternative
Old 23-11-2011
Mad Member

won't this stiffen the chassis and upset the flex characteristics that have been designed into the car?
Old 23-11-2011

i dont want to sound negative here but if the chassis bending is am issue, wouldnt it be better being reported to cml. The conversion isnt cheap and the chassis is either fit for purpose or it is not.
Old 24-11-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
Instead of moaning ive done this

Needs a little more tinkering but the ides there. Bits i used were
4 x Ball studs
2 x Rc12l4 battery posts
2 x T4 Turnbuckles

Dean I know we have talked about this over PM, But I think this is as good an option as any. Should still give you the roll flex but will stop it folding in half Could maybe do with something a little more substantial to attach to at the centre of the car as those slim posts could just get rolled over on a front end impact. But the theory IMHO is sound.
Old 24-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Dean I know we have talked about this over PM, But I think this is as good an option as any. Should still give you the roll flex but will stop it folding in half Could maybe do with something a little more substantial to attach to at the centre of the car as those slim posts could just get rolled over on a front end impact. But the theory IMHO is sound.
That's what I thought on first look - while conceptually it will work on stiffening the front end, without some triangulation in the rear mounting point those pins will just bend over either sooner or later as they have the rigidity of the ball atop of a flagpole.
Old 24-11-2011
Mad Member

Thought there was no need kayce lol
Your not intrested unless the driver is the wc

All this BS about dicks and conceptually to the best of your ability
I wouldn't listen to this nut job ( lippy 2) he is making out this car is most defiantly not for learners and unless your a top boy then don't get one or expect a bend....!
It's a shame there is not more clarity or input from cml themselves to help out future customers
Old 24-11-2011

As all cml customers already know we will do all we can to rectify any issues or resolve any arising problems our customers will have with any of our products.

as you can appreciate this is a very new venture for us and as the product has been tested for the last 12 months using different driver abilities and only now has this issue , if it is an issue , has appeared .

we are on the case and as we find out more we will keep everyone updated.

cml pride themselves on customer service and we will do everything we can to resolve issues with any of our products.

hope this clears a few things up but please feel free to e-mail me with any concerns and i will do my best to answer them.

e-mail wes@cmldistribution.co.uk
Old 24-11-2011

If the car has been tested by all abilities for 12 months, surly this would have been highlighted as a problem?

Not one got bent in testing?

How can a flat ally chassis ever be expected not to bend?

Lets be honest every car on the market will bend or break, but this car seems very valnerable, with no side pods / stifeners.
Old 24-11-2011

your correct ! if it was a problem then it would of been noted !

obviously it wasnt a problem !

like i said ( and before this becomes out of hand ) we are trying to figure out if its an issue or not and if it is it will be resolved !

if your having issues get in touch with me at wes@cmldistribution.co.uk and i will answer honestly and as efficiently as possible
Old 24-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
That's what I thought on first look - while conceptually it will work on stiffening the front end, without some triangulation in the rear mounting point those pins will just bend over either sooner or later as they have the rigidity of the ball atop of a flagpole.
Looking at the photo, I noticed the front battery retaining knobs where in a prime position for those supports - perhaps replace the ball cups with loops, and drop them over the battery posts, after placing the battery strap but before tightening the knobs?

This will prevent front-to-back flex, but retain the side-to-side flex that evidently makes the car handle so well.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 24-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Looking at the photo, I noticed the front battery retaining knobs where in a prime position for those supports - perhaps replace the ball cups with loops, and drop them over the battery posts, after placing the battery strap but before tightening the knobs?

This will prevent front-to-back flex, but retain the side-to-side flex that evidently makes the car handle so well.
True enough, good idea.
It is interesting to see what people have come up with on their own.
I tend to think home-built modifications like these tend to be either end of the spectrum: either overbuilt, and thus losing all the built in flex of the car; or underbuilt, and leading to a whole set of new problems.

I just think it a shame (certain) people are slagging off on the car, and so quick to blame the manufacturer for a design fault that's obviously not there being as they've run the protos for months.
Old 24-11-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
True enough, good idea.
It is interesting to see what people have come up with on their own.
I tend to think home-built modifications like these tend to be either end of the spectrum: either overbuilt, and thus losing all the built in flex of the car; or underbuilt, and leading to a whole set of new problems.

I just think it a shame (certain) people are slagging off on the car, and so quick to blame the manufacturer for a design fault that's obviously not there being as they've run the protos for months.
Only answer is to RUN THE BLOODY THING AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE RUN
Enough said the car will perform fine and other than normal meeting to meeting maintenance it should be bang on
Old 24-11-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzer View Post
your correct ! if it was a problem then it would of been noted !

obviously it wasnt a problem !

like i said ( and before this becomes out of hand ) we are trying to figure out if its an issue or not and if it is it will be resolved !

if your having issues get in touch with me at wes@cmldistribution.co.uk and i will answer honestly and as efficiently as possible
Well said Wez!
Now can everyone with an issue with this chassis please divert there questions and opinions to wez rather than slating the car on a live forum for everyone to view. The rc world is a prime example of something being said and then being made out to be hundreds time worse than what it actually is!

Yes I totally understand thats what a forums for and it's meant for expressing your concerns but think to yourself how long you've been waiting for this car and how much you wanted it to be released ASAP, then when you eventually get hold of it the first problem that pops up you turn it into a slagging match which is mainly directed at wez and cml!

Keep your cool and if there is a problem with it then I'm sure there will be something sorted out sooner rather than later! At the end of the day anyone that got hold of one of the first batches of cougar svs will know that problems do occur with new cars but no where near as many as Schumacher had with there car!

I'm not sure why so many people are getting involved in this topic just to stir it up slightly that don't even own a c4.1!
Surely if you are looking to by one you should be sticking up for the car and the company that have brought you the car not doing the opposite! If youve been thinking about buying a c4.1 and have been put off by what you have read, don't make that a reason not to buy one as for me after owning one of the first batch of cougar svs I never had any of the said problems most of the people were having with it when it was released not one problem.

I think this should personally be locked this topic now if any mods are reading.
Old 24-11-2011

If youve been thinking about buying a c4.1 and have been put off by what you have read, don't make that a reason not to buy one

I have to agree with this part of the post, i still think the car is great and as i've said before i never started this thread to slag the car or to chuck s##t at cml, infact the contact i've had with wez via email at cml has been dealt with very profesionally and left me reassured so no probs there.
Anyway took onboard peoples comments on my first hideous attempts and come up with this one, now i agree it's still no oil painting but it is slimmer and may let the car flex more.
Old 24-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
If youve been thinking about buying a c4.1 and have been put off by what you have read, don't make that a reason not to buy one

I have to agree with this part of the post, i still think the car is great and as i've said before i never started this thread to slag the car or to chuck s##t at cml, infact the contact i've had with wez via email at cml has been dealt with very profesionally and left me reassured so no probs there.
Anyway took onboard peoples comments on my first hideous attempts and come up with this one, now i agree it's still no oil painting but it is slimmer and may let the car flex more.
Much nicer - the only thing I would suggest at this point would be to "match" the pieces, making them exactly the same width with similar cut-outs on each side so they perform equally (removal of areas in red) - IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0096.jpg (127.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 24-11-2011

Quote:
Much nicer - the only thing I would suggest at this point would be to "match" the pieces, making them exactly the same width with similar cut-outs on each side so they perform equally (removal of areas in red) - IMHO.
Nice one thanks very much will have a crack at this and post new pics
Old 24-11-2011

Quote:
What about now?
Old 24-11-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
What about now?
Now that's better and a good template for some carbon one to be made.
Next job, feather duster and tidy up the wires

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 24-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Now that's better and a good template for some carbon one to be made.
Next job, feather duster and tidy up the wires
Hahaha!!!! lend us your duster then, pink isn't it? i'm just a bit nervous about hacking wires off servo etc.