Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 03-04-2012
Mad Member

There are two points that have to be addressed to get more kids into the hobby. We are always going to be competing with video games, something we never had during r/c cars heyday in the 80s.

First you've got to get them to know about r/c racing in the first place. Not easy to do, but having spent last weekend hiring r/c cars out at a local classic car show there is plenty of interest from kids wanting to have a go. To me that is the hardest part, getting them to the club in the first place. Once they have seen what racing is all about and that most importantly club racing is fun and not serious then they usually want to start up with whatever they have.

Once you've got them interested you've then got to do everything to get them racing, just getting them running in the first place with whatever they have is a start, whether they are slow or not BRCA legal is irrelevant.
We always run a novice heat with everything that isn't fast enough to run with the others all mixed together, the last thing you want is some idiot who isn't capable of avoiding a car in front of him shouting because the kid he just crashed into isn't going as fast as the others.
Then help the kids and treat them the same as your adult mates. Don't hang around in your own little clique but get to know the kids and help them out. Charge their batteries, help them sort out their handling problems, give them spare parts when they break their cars. All gets them involved with the club and keeps them coming back. Finally if anyone doesn't respect the kids tell them to go race somewhere else.

We keep things fun and just like Bury the number one priority is enjoying yourself, not race results. Amazingly we also have plenty of kids who race regularly. Show them a club made up of serious hard racers with high end cars and they won't be coming back.
Old 03-04-2012
Mad Member

Some good stuff already in this thread.

At our local club (Chippenham - www.cmcc.org.uk) we happen to have a lot of juniors coming in to the club at the moment. We must be doing something right, and it is things that all clubs should be doing.

• We have a club car (Tamiya TT-01) that has a junior using it most weeks, and a few of those juniors have gone on to buy their own cars
  • We don't go around telling people they need the best of everything to compete. In fact we mostly suggest a TT-01, Schumacher Mi1 or Tamiya Mini for people to get started with.
  • We suggest the £10 Saturn 20 motor for newcomers to touring and it is also our spec motor in Minis - on our small club track, the Saturn 20 is barely any slower than the 13.5 "blinky" cars, so the low-budget racers don't get the impression that they need to upgrade to the fastest of everything to compete
  • We have just been at the South West Model Show where we put on a racing demonstration (which usually gets a few spectators). This year some club members donated their old Minis for "Have-a-go" sessions which had a HUGE amount of interest, mostly from younger drivers, I'll wager there were 40 or 50 people having a go on the Sunday.
  • We have the support of a local shop (MMR) who are trackside most weeks.
  • The more juniors we get, the more word-of-mouth they spread - quite a few of them have brought their friends along, and then their friends have started racing as well. We also have a few father-and-son racers. Mothers and daughters are also welcome!
It may seem like hard work for clubs to attract members, and it may seem like there are no rewards at times, but basically you need to keep plugging away.

• Keep a cheap/simple class of racing on the rulebook. Avoid elitism.
  • Have a club car at the track every week. I've seen club cars mysteriously become "personal" cars after they haven't been used for a while - don't let that happen.
  • Promote the club. Get on the web, get posters in the shops, get out to the local shows, get in the press. If people don't know about you, they will never come.
If anything it is easier to encourage new racers in off-road right now. There are a lot more electric off-roaders available for reasonable money, and a lot of the intimidatingly expensive "pit-bling" that you would see at a TC meeting is unnecessary. A new racer with a B4.1 RTR or a short-course RTR is only a set of tyres and springs away from having a car quick enough for the sharp-end of the club A-final (actually that is more or less the case with on-road too, but it doesn't look like that when everyone is running tyre warmers and has their laptop on the table).

It's tough to sell RC to a generation that is used to computer games. RC is much harder to master, but the satisfaction of doing well is so much greater. It's a real-life hobby, only constrained by your own talents, not by the programmer's code.
Old 03-04-2012

Reading through I can see that there are two problems:
Cost.
20+ years ago when I raced at Harrogate buggy club I really enjoyed it until it became very much a cost thing. pushy parents and kids wanting the latest motors batteries and they took over! So I jacked it in and discovered Beer, girls and big cars!

So a cost class would be good not just for the next generation.
maybe a max cost for chassis, batteries etc. like the old stock brushed motor class!

Tollerence.
some people forget that this is a hobby and we do it for fun!
Everybody started somewhere, crashing, been slow!
People need to remember that! yes it is racing but it is not the money driven uber competative world of F1!
If you want that racing do the Regionals or Nats.

If people show poor sportsmanship on or off the track drop their best laps and they will soon learn!

Soap box rant over!
Old 03-04-2012

i think there is a lot of young drivers but this "facebook" generation is more into drift class today,they do not wanna to wait for spring and summer like we with buggys to race, that sort of bling bling cars are for them, like NFS that they are play when they are not racing . Hiere where i am living it is a Fire Station where they are alowed to race whole year, also there is not top speeds or jumps where they could brake cars and that is the way is interesting so much to them.
df-03
Old 03-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As Terry says the cost bit tends to be exaggerated badly. I always made a point of explaining to new drivers at Bury that I was running a 20 year old RC10 kitted out with a brushless system off ebay - whilst mine is never the fastest there its far from the slowest either. Bury sees plenty of ex-racers coming back with their old cars - we had a meeting last year with 4 generations of RC10 in the same heat!

I really do believe that at most clubs if the best driver ran an out of the box B4.1 RTR they would win. Whilst it doesn't have a sensored esc, the motor is around a 10.5t, the shocks aren't the latest spec etc its actually quite good enough. Unsurprisingly the majority of our new drivers (of all ages) have one.

One thing racers could consider is keeping old but decent gear to sell cheap to new drivers. I sold my old Cat'98 to a lad that turned up with an HPI Brama for £40 - it was old and a bit worn out but still more reliable and competitive than the Brama. In addition I made sure it was set up for our track.

This is why I'm against cost controlled spec classes - ebay and some old gear makes for a better, more enjoyable racer than a 540 equipped out of the box Mad Rat and for less. What is needed is education not restriction!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 03-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by df-03 View Post
i think there is a lot of young drivers but this "facebook" generation is more into drift class today,they do not wanna to wait for spring and summer like we with buggys to race, that sort of bling bling cars are for them, like NFS that they are play when they are not racing . Hiere where i am living it is a Fire Station where they are alowed to race whole year, also there is not top speeds or jumps where they could brake cars and that is the way is interesting so much to them.
Very true. I'm a teacher and my RC's have been into school. Whenever they do, the students love them and want their own. Several have bought them but without exception they all want to drift not race.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 03-04-2012

I think the cost thing is a bit of a given... to run a car costs money...

The annsmann brushed version was going for £100 all included at modelsport the last time I checked. and the XTC Edge I think they called where £80 all in. I would not go brushless simply because they are way to fast for some kids and you want to keep the costs down.

Yes they dont last as long I get that but thats not the point.

The point is to make them the same speed and kit like the above where its cheap to buy and spares are cheap so your costs are down. Its to get kids involved into it and get them to a club meeting. If you have a young drivers club race where all the drivers are young then you will not have the parents complaining about it unless you have to marshall for them (owww my ancles )

The playstaion generation or Facebook generation kids just need to have 1 race with the car against other kids there own age and my god they will love it. Plus there is a massive thing now where kids dont know how to talk to people outside facebook and so on so they actually meet kids there own age and doing the same thing outside and out of there homes.

When I went into modelsport yestersday there was a guy there that bought a rc car RTR for his I would guess about 7 year old daughter. He spent £100. The thing that struck me was the guy behind the counter. He never asked the guy what is it being used for and if she would want to race the car. Its was not a RTR that you would use in touring or nitro or 1/10th at all so technically if she wanted to take it to the next lvl and join a club they would not have the correct kit to start off with and would have waisted the £100 spent.

Its tuff cause we all have diffrent views on this but I wolud say to keep it simple.

Same car (not TA or Lossi £250 is not cheap when you strating a hobby)
Young driver heats at club lvl
Clubs going to school and introducing this to kids to show them its still around and just as much fun. (ultirnative to PS3 Xbox 360)

It will just die out if we dont actually do something about it and it will be one of those..."when I was young you could go racing these cars around a track with friends and have so much fun...agh that was them days"
Old 03-04-2012

yes, even if they are not racing well they own one just to show, it is more interesting to them and that is the fact. Few times i hade thinking to get one for my self, cause they are racing whole year and every night there is always 20 of them, we, with buggys must wait nice wheater and we are happy if there is more then 4 of us to race. I must also input like one mate already say, sometimes there are few dad's that sons are racing but if that kids are not racing well dad's are making problems, they are fight, they are yelling at kids etc. , and that is not good. we are all hiere for fun. That is not a place for frustated unsuccessful persons when they wase young and now they are pushing kids like there is fight for death or life
df-03
Old 03-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ahh but Vincent - you missed my point and hit it at the same time! At Bury that girls car would be allowed to race (provided it wasn't nitro and could get round the track) so she wouldn't need a different car to start racing.

New racers find out of about the sport 1 of 2 ways - before they buy a car (and thats what makes them buy one) or after when they wonder what they can do with it. There are as many afters as befores. Making them buy a new car to compete in a restricted class even if it is cheap is a lot of extra expensive when they already have a car. We just let them race together. Yes, there have been times our Fun class has had an out of the box FTX Carnage (brushed) truck alongside a Durango DEX210 but when both hit every single corner who cares?
Why was there a 210 in fun class? Because the lad in question had started last year with something less competitive and got the 210 as a Christmas present. He's got too good with it, so now he's in regular 2wd but it was his performance that moved him, not the car.
Keeping it simple means anything goes as far as I'm concerned. When the kids can't control the cars it soon becomes clear that the fastest rarely wins you don't need a new motor etc. But if you get good enough to handle it why not?

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 03-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Parents are a problem. On the whole, the ones I've met at Bury and Stockport have been great, but I also remember from racing as a kid myself the angry pit dad's. You get pushy parents in all sports to be honest but in RC younger drivers often need them there to pit and marshal for them so they can't be pushed to the sidelines as the junior footie team does!
So far we've not had much trouble there was just one incident last year where a marshal fed up of being rammed every lap by the same truck chucked it off the track not really knowing how young its driver was. People hate marshalling for them and hate being marshalled by them even more but thats about the biggest issue to date.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 03-04-2012

yes, i just wanna to say that parents are also one of the problems that kids are not racing today, Children today are more nervous than we were and if you are yelling they would be quick cooled from that hobby.
df-03
Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
There are two points that have to be addressed to get more kids into the hobby. We are always going to be competing with video games, something we never had during r/c cars heyday in the 80s.

First you've got to get them to know about r/c racing in the first place. Not easy to do, but having spent last weekend hiring r/c cars out at a local classic car show there is plenty of interest from kids wanting to have a go. To me that is the hardest part, getting them to the club in the first place. Once they have seen what racing is all about and that most importantly club racing is fun and not serious then they usually want to start up with whatever they have.

Once you've got them interested you've then got to do everything to get them racing, just getting them running in the first place with whatever they have is a start, whether they are slow or not BRCA legal is irrelevant.
We always run a novice heat with everything that isn't fast enough to run with the others all mixed together, the last thing you want is some idiot who isn't capable of avoiding a car in front of him shouting because the kid he just crashed into isn't going as fast as the others.
Then help the kids and treat them the same as your adult mates. Don't hang around in your own little clique but get to know the kids and help them out. Charge their batteries, help them sort out their handling problems, give them spare parts when they break their cars. All gets them involved with the club and keeps them coming back. Finally if anyone doesn't respect the kids tell them to go race somewhere else.

We keep things fun and just like Bury the number one priority is enjoying yourself, not race results. Amazingly we also have plenty of kids who race regularly. Show them a club made up of serious hard racers with high end cars and they won't be coming back.
Im 15 years old and always wanted to race I have a few rcs about 8 scx10, sprint2 etc etc, So I got a saturday job £35 every weekend valeting high performace cars, like swindon towns fc cars and other very expensise cars it not easy, 7am to 5pm. I buy abit every weekend like the tyre warmers one weekend then the set up board trailing for second hand deals including the car , Dad has snap on account so thats the tools covered. Its just got soo expensize these days guuna have to miss the first and second race, Because I ve just found out the local club Cotswold, Don`t do transponder hire so that will be another thing to get!
Old 03-04-2012

I race a HB cyclone wce I sometimes look at it and think its never ending transponder £55, 7.4 servo £75 tyres £20 etc etc thats why people arnt taking part well I cant for the first few,My mate went to go and race his hb lighting pro buggy at the local, and he was going to need £500 for the equiment for a year, then its the engine and car isnt up to the lastest model so he just pulled out of it thats why im wondering now is hb cyclone moore speed going to be competive, though is it down to your driving.

Last edited by Sportp4ck; 03-04-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Messed it up
Old 03-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportp4ck View Post
Im 15 years old and always wanted to race I have a few rcs about 8 scx10, sprint2 etc etc, So I got a saturday job £35 every weekend valeting high performace cars, like swindon towns fc cars and other very expensise cars it not easy, 7am to 5pm. I buy abit every weekend like the tyre warmers one weekend then the set up board trailing for second hand deals including the car , Dad has snap on account so thats the tools covered. Its just got soo expensize these days guuna have to miss the first and second race, Because I ve just found out the local club Cotswold, Don`t do transponder hire so that will be another thing to get!
The thing is, you don't need those things to race.

Tyre warmers and set-up boards are a long-way down the list (actually a flat board is useful but it doesn't have to have an RC manufacturers name pasted on it). This is a big problem in on-road, people see these things in the pits and assume they need them. You don't.

All you need is a well-built car (it doesn't have to be an expensive one), the right motor for the class, and the right tyres for the track.

If you have spent the pocket-money you should have been using for racing on the "bling", then that is a terrible waste. Much better to be at the track than scouring eBay for stuff you don't actually need.

I race at Cotswold fairly regularly, and until now I haven't used tyre warmers. I put my 4-year-old car in the A-final of the BTCC in 13.5 last year, which is a pretty competitive field. I used one set of tyres for the whole outdoor season last year (half-a-dozen race meetings), one LiPo (which lasted me 2-and-a-half years before giving up) and the same 13.5 motor (which is still going strong after nearly 3 years).

RC racing does not have to be expensive. This is the message we need to try hard to get across - the "bling" is a personal preference, it doesn't actually make that much difference to your laptimes.

PS I didn't realise that Cotswold didn't have any "club" transponders. That is a shame, but I am sure they will still allow you to race.
Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The thing is, you don't need those things to race.

Tyre warmers and set-up boards are a long-way down the list (actually a flat board is useful but it doesn't have to have an RC manufacturers name pasted on it). This is a big problem in on-road, people see these things in the pits and assume they need them. You don't.

All you need is a well-built car (it doesn't have to be an expensive one), the right motor for the class, and the right tyres for the track.

If you have spent the pocket-money you should have been using for racing on the "bling", then that is a terrible waste. Much better to be at the track than scouring eBay for stuff you don't actually need.

I race at Cotswold fairly regularly, and until now I haven't used tyre warmers. I put my 4-year-old car in the A-final of the BTCC in 13.5 last year, which is a pretty competitive field. I used one set of tyres for the whole outdoor season last year (half-a-dozen race meetings), one LiPo (which lasted me 2-and-a-half years before giving up) and the same 13.5 motor (which is still going strong after nearly 3 years).

RC racing does not have to be expensive. This is the message we need to try hard to get across - the "bling" is a personal preference, it doesn't actually make that much difference to your laptimes.

PS I didn't realise that Cotswold didn't have any "club" transponders. That is a shame, but I am sure they will still allow you to race.
All I neeed for my car now is a 13.5 and a decent servo Thanks for that I under stand were you are coming from. Louis PS tyre warmers were £10.50 off eBay and the set up board it just abit of mdf.
Old 03-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Club transponders are a bit of a problem as they are very expensive and no longer made. Some clubs use MRTs but they need plugging in so not as useful as the old self powered ones.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 03-04-2012

Transponders shouldn't stop kids racing, pen and paper would do if needed, they don't get any benefit from them. A few sets of wheels and tyres would be more important and fun for them, something to easy for them to change if they want to.
Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Ahh but Vincent - you missed my point and hit it at the same time! At Bury that girls car would be allowed to race (provided it wasn't nitro and could get round the track) so she wouldn't need a different car to start racing.

New racers find out of about the sport 1 of 2 ways - before they buy a car (and thats what makes them buy one) or after when they wonder what they can do with it. There are as many afters as befores. Making them buy a new car to compete in a restricted class even if it is cheap is a lot of extra expensive when they already have a car. We just let them race together. Yes, there have been times our Fun class has had an out of the box FTX Carnage (brushed) truck alongside a Durango DEX210 but when both hit every single corner who cares?
Why was there a 210 in fun class? Because the lad in question had started last year with something less competitive and got the 210 as a Christmas present. He's got too good with it, so now he's in regular 2wd but it was his performance that moved him, not the car.
Keeping it simple means anything goes as far as I'm concerned. When the kids can't control the cars it soon becomes clear that the fastest rarely wins you don't need a new motor etc. But if you get good enough to handle it why not?
Haha This sounds like a funny scene to watch.. you will need to film a race and put on youtube.

I did understand your post.

I think having a set RTR car that you use will just help giving advice when they buy there own as people there will know how to fix them plus will most likely have spares if something goes wrong. (cars are modelled on the B4 anyway.)

It could be where maybe the club gets 6-10 companies to sponser a car for £100 or £150 with company colour on or something. Plus you might get your companie advertised on the club website as a sponser.

I dont know any company that cant afford £150 pounds for the car. Its not a massive sum to ask plus they giving to kids having fun and that is good Press for them in there Local paper "Compnay giving back to the kids of tomorow". So technically the club has no outgoings but might get more members which in turn creates more revenue. (im in marketing sorry)

I dont know how clubs run there finances unfortunatley but getting the cars sponsered to the club to get kids involved would be ideal.

I dont understand why our local club does no racing at all during school holidays? Is this not the time that kids are bored and have nothing to do?
The school halls are not used. Setup the track for a day or two and let the kids come and try it out.
Old 03-04-2012

It is slightly chicken and egg.

Budget wise you can get a kid up and running fairly cheaply, eBay alone is something we have now which wasnt an option back in the early 90s so deals are out there. But partly it is down to club availability.

My son Ben (7) and I are lucky to have SHRCCC (led by Dudders) as our local club and having a specific junior heat and finalse means that we have every incentive to head down there. Ben absolutely loves it and I'm allowed to race by the Mrs because he can!

Build it and they will come, as they say.
Old 03-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Good post this, thanks Vince.

I was the dad mentioned in the begining. My eldest son was in the 4wd class at the Spring Cup. He is only 9 but pretty handy. The main problem being he is just so unaware of the cars around him. He is concentrating 100% on his driving and not on any car coming to lap him. The guys lapping him were A finalists so should know better. However shouting abuse at a 9 year old is not really on. I do understand that its frustrating to get taken out/held up but hey its only fun right? I make a point of trying to educate him with driving etiquette and it will come with time but we shouldn't put them off.

The lack of kids racing is a big problem and I do think it is something we all need to address.

Spring Cup (which was very well run) was the same price to enter for adults and children???