Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 26-09-2010

Talking CATs first run..... Fantastic

Well I've not run RCs for about 15-20 years with my Hotshot and Ultima, but decided recently to get back into it. First I got a Hyper 7 Nitro buggy, what a pain to get to run right and actually not that impressive, very average acceleration, heavy and unresponsive handling/brakes etc etc.... sold it after two months and since then I've been putting a CAT SX together on a budget for about the last 6+ weeks.

Managed to get all the stuff second hand (although some was unused) and today got everything fitted and running. Specs are a CAT SX Phil Booth CF with some of the lower weight CF parts, Fusion exceed 6.5T brushless motor and fusion ESC, Hi-Tec 0.08sec steering servo, Spektrum DX3s with telemetry, and a couple of Demon 35C 3800 LiPos. And it all came in at under £350 including the little bits like connectors, and the necessary's like a decent balance charger etc...

Anyway back to the first run, this car is amazing! Took it out in the garden and proceeded to shred the lawn, the acceleration is instant and out of this world!!! and whatever you do this thing is glued to the ground! then thought how fast does it actually go...? Now bearing in mind this was not built for out and out speed but as an off road racing buggy I though 40-45mph would be OK, set the telemetry up and found a deserted carpark, first run 62mph, but not enough space to get it absolutely flat out... What a car.

Gotta say I'm now a fully fledged Schumacher convert, and I have'nt even raced it yet. Great car, simply stunning, can't wait to get it on the track and then remember how to drive properly!
Old 26-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i'd be amazed if you can get 62mph out of the car with a 6.5! Think your telemetry may be slightly off.

But you are right, it's a great car. Get down a club and race it!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 26-09-2010

The telemetry was out and read 70 but I worked it back from the reading.

I measured 1 turn at 4.6 inches, and set the telemetry at this. Then afterwards did 10 turns divided by 10 and got 4.1 inches per turn.

It read 70mph at 4.6, so by taking 70 dividing it by 4.6 then miltiplying it by 4.1, I get 62.39. Feel free to correct me if my maths is wrong, but any way you look at it its rapid.

I though it was fast but when you see it in real life it actually IS fast! I would'nt of though it was far off, bearing in mind as well with more space it would go marginally faster.
Old 27-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i run a 5.5 in mine, and i can assure you it gets no where near that speed! 45 would be about tops if it's geared pretty high.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 27-09-2010

Does the Kv rating not affect the top end speed? Mine is a 7400.

Again I'm new to brushless stuff so feel free to explain if I'm being thick!

Also what reasons could make the telemetry be wrong once set correctly?
Old 27-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW_ View Post
Well I've not run RCs for about 15-20 years with my Hotshot and Ultima, but decided recently to get back into it. First I got a Hyper 7 Nitro buggy, what a pain to get to run right and actually not that impressive, very average acceleration, heavy and unresponsive handling/brakes etc etc.... sold it after two months and since then I've been putting a CAT SX together on a budget for about the last 6+ weeks.

Managed to get all the stuff second hand (although some was unused) and today got everything fitted and running. Specs are a CAT SX Phil Booth CF with some of the lower weight CF parts, Fusion exceed 6.5T brushless motor and fusion ESC, Hi-Tec 0.08sec steering servo, Spektrum DX3s with telemetry, and a couple of Demon 35C 3800 LiPos. And it all came in at under £350 including the little bits like connectors, and the necessary's like a decent balance charger etc...

Anyway back to the first run, this car is amazing! Took it out in the garden and proceeded to shred the lawn, the acceleration is instant and out of this world!!! and whatever you do this thing is glued to the ground! then thought how fast does it actually go...? Now bearing in mind this was not built for out and out speed but as an off road racing buggy I though 40-45mph would be OK, set the telemetry up and found a deserted carpark, first run 62mph, but not enough space to get it absolutely flat out... What a car.

Gotta say I'm now a fully fledged Schumacher convert, and I have'nt even raced it yet. Great car, simply stunning, can't wait to get it on the track and then remember how to drive properly!
I ran an SX for the first time on Sunday, I'd have to agree in saying it went very well, far better than I expected.
Old 02-10-2010

Ok I stand corrected, ran it again today and got to 42mph, speed looked the sameish. Odd the telemetry obviously does not work in as linier way as you would expect.