Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 02-06-2015

Default Airbrushing - HELP!

Hey chaps
Could any of you recommend a low cost airbrush set up that would be good for a total beginner at this lark. Want to give it a dabble at low cost.

Thanks in advance.
Stu
Old 03-06-2015
Mad Member

The cheap "copy" airbrushes aren't all that good and will annoy you while you're trying to learn. The Iwata Revolution is great, I've had one for a while now but have used Iwata for almost 3 decades and I can't fault their airbrushes. Have used a few others a long the way but the Iwata's are reliable and hard wearing.

Iwata Revolution - http://www.graphicair.co.uk/products...-Airbrush.html Cheaper than anywhere else.

Compressors not so cheap though.

This will get you going but I'd get the next model up which is the 196 and has 2 motors so will keep up with you better while you're airbrushing.

However if you can stretch to a Bambi compressor from the same place as the airbrush I'd highly recommend them. Silent like a fridge and as reliable as my Iwata airbrush !

My paintwork thread
Old 03-06-2015
Mad Member

I too will reinforce what Ian said. I bought a "cheap" £40 set up of brush and little "vogue" compressor. Within very short time I realised I had to up grade both so not have an iwata revolution and a similar priced compressor. In total this kit cost me ~£200 total, but essentially the £40 set up was a waste.
My iwata is brilliant and the compressor with air tank is also first class

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 03-06-2015
Mad Member

@ashlandchris - maybe post a link to where you got it from or what model the compressor is so the OP can see ?

My paintwork thread
Old 03-06-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
@ashlandchris - maybe post a link to where you got it from or what model the compressor is so the OP can see ?
Good point Ian, I was struggling last night as I knew I'd bought it from Amazon, but my iPad only wanted to take me to .com rather than .co.uk as I'm in USA all week!
I managed to find it in my past orders. Looks like it was £80, but out of stock from this supplier at moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o03_s00

In case you are interested, To get some "scale" it is approx the size of a suitcase, as opposed to the little grey "vogue" compressor I had previously mentioned which is about the size of a box of cup-a-soups. (Hope those examples are ok - didn't want to use "Wales, football pitches or double decker buses")

Yokomo YZ-2

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 03-06-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2015

Hi Stu,

Dont buy any compressor without a receiver (air tank).

The receiver diserpates the surge from the compressor given you a constant pressure to paint with.

Plus make sure it has a pressure regulator/moisture trap (most compressors will have). The reg allows you to adjust your working pressure and the trap obviously you don't want water blowing through the airbrush and ruining the job.

After use drain the receiver down u dont want any moisture sitting in the receiver as it will corrode the tank from inside out.
Old 05-06-2015

Chaps
Thanks for this..
For now, airbrushing has hit a back burner!
Sam - is there anything RC you don't know about??
Can't wait to show you the car!!!
Couldn't make this week..
Next week I'm there for sure...
Stu
Old 05-06-2015

Theres lots stu......believe me.

But i've used air tools all my working carrier.

BTW Check out Maritime web site stu. Endurance event coming soon if you fancy getting some guys from bracknel or west kent to get a team together and have a go?
Old 05-06-2015

All the shell on my page have been done with a Veda 180 £25, apart from the last one that was done by me new Iwata kustom cs £145. visually there is not much difference but the iwata is easier, easier to clean which believe me takes up most of your time, easier to use, more consistant and just a world of apart, you can tell it's better quality.

If I was to start again I would deffinately go with the iwata, but £120 more when your starting out is massive especially when you just want to try your hand at it.

Nemo Racing
Yokomo Yz-2.
Yokomo Yx-4sf
Sanwa

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158845
Old 05-06-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StwBald View Post
All the shell on my page have been done with a Veda 180 £25, apart from the last one that was done by me new Iwata kustom cs £145. visually there is not much difference but the iwata is easier, easier to clean which believe me takes up most of your time, easier to use, more consistant and just a world of apart, you can tell it's better quality.

If I was to start again I would deffinately go with the iwata, but £120 more when your starting out is massive especially when you just want to try your hand at it.
Good points. My original cheap airbrush was ok for putting down layers in solid blocks assuming I had masked the areas. I couldn't do fades as the brush was irregular and would spatter etc. having a decent brush does enable me to do fades (now limited by skill, rather than equipment). The better compressor allows for easy pressure regulation so I can drop it for the fades, and up it for the coverage.
I also agree, the iwata is a world apart in terms of ease of cleaning. It just doesn't seem to clog, while my other one seems to do nothing but clog!

Yokomo YZ-2