Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 21-11-2013

Question SV2 'Low' Rear Shock Tower

I'm running Simon Moss' set up at the moment, and liking it a lot... it's really changed my opinion of the SV2 as a car and definitely helped with my lap times!

Right now I have the standard rear shock tower fitted, with short Ball Grippas which seems to give very limited rear droop. Would there be any benefit to either going to the lower shock tower or fitting longer Grippas to get more droop?

I'm not sure what tower Simon's using, and I don't really want to buy the lower one if it's not beneficial.
Old 21-11-2013

hi
I tried the shock tower but found no benefit around my track (Worm) it depends your track lay out, you can fit the longer ball links to give a similar feel.
But adding droop reduces the amount bump which can be a problem, I found with the extra droop the wheel centre went well below the diff centre and on a up hill table top with a sharpe 90 turn caused the car to roll.

It will also allow a lot of forward weight transfer when braking so you may find you get roil going in to a hairpin, swings and round abouts win some and lose some.
CARB
Old 21-11-2013

Hello John

Either method of increasing the drop worked well for me around torch. I used to have the longer ball studs fitted, but after I broke the rear tower, I tried the lower version and went back to the short ball studs without much difference to the handling. How do you find the moss set up in the wet? I liked it in the dry, but couldn't get it to work for the last couple of meetings. See you Sunday?

Steve
Old 21-11-2013

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Running the lower tower makes a big difference in my opinion. Running standard with less droop, I found that through the turn it was a lot more difficult to carry speed. When I made the mod at Stotfold it made a marked improvement.

I'm not sure how it can make it more prone to rolling off a table top. The added droop will mean more contact time with the ground and essentially better handling. The only other reason I can imagine is that without, the car must be bottoming out - therefor just hitting the floor removing the action of the shocks.

Big plus in my opinion.
Old 21-11-2013

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1973 View Post
I liked it in the dry, but couldn't get it to work for the last couple of meetings. See you Sunday?

Steve
Try running a shorter rear link and increasing the rear toe in if you aren't all ready on 4 degrees. You could add weight but that will just increase the pendulum motion.
Old 21-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Try running a shorter rear link and increasing the rear toe in if you aren't all ready on 4 degrees. You could add weight but that will just increase the pendulum motion.

Thanks for the feedback I did those mods plus went from long to short wheelbase and moved the front shock to the inside on the wishbone. Also tried various combinations of green and blue core springs, but then the track dried out and I ran out of time fixing my son's car. Looks dry for this weekend, so back to your set-up which really improved my lap times over the summer
Cheers
Steve
Old 21-11-2013

hi
The table top was with the car going up and to the right, so the car was caring a lot of inertia upwards as I turned right, it was at this point it would roll with the increased droop, then reverting to the original setting the car was good and did not roll.

All I can put the roll to was the increased droop at this point on the lap and as it did most times unless I took a slower line.

We change the circuit lay out every weekend so on average I have stuck with the standard droop, it is a pity that droop adjustment is only by shims in the shocks as I find it a powerful tuning aid and a 4mm jump could have been to much.

Where is it you race as always looking to try a different circuit

Regards
CARB
Old 21-11-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Running the lower tower makes a big difference in my opinion. Running standard with less droop, I found that through the turn it was a lot more difficult to carry speed. When I made the mod at Stotfold it made a marked improvement.

I'm not sure how it can make it more prone to rolling off a table top. The added droop will mean more contact time with the ground and essentially better handling. The only other reason I can imagine is that without, the car must be bottoming out - therefor just hitting the floor removing the action of the shocks.

Big plus in my opinion.
would it work at worksop too Simon?
Old 21-11-2013

Cheers Simon (and everyone else!), definitely food for thought...

Steve, I ran Simon's set up exactly from the Scheuy website on Sunday and it transformed the car. Adding weight I think made the biggest difference, especially between the batteries and motor, plus going to the five degree rear strap calmed it down out of the corners. It definitely felt more planted than it has in the past. Tyre-wise I had silver cut staggers on the front and BB greens on the back and the balance was spot on... I'd not used the 5 degree blocks on the front before, and had found the silvers really grabby and inconsistent. On Sunday I put the blocks in and they were definitely the tyre for me.

Hoping to make it down Sunday if I can find a lift (still no driving big cars ), if I do I'm going to back-to-back the car with long and short Grippas I think, to get a feel for it - carrying more corner-speed will definitely help as I feel that's where I'm loosing time at the moment. I'm also trying the shocks with cut-bladders to see what they're like (mainly 'cause I split a bladder and I've been too busy to order a new set ). Hopefully see you there mate.
Old 21-11-2013

If you get stuck for a lift on Sunday I'll pick you up John.
Old 22-11-2013

Cheers Rich!
Old 25-11-2013

So, to finish up on this one... I didn't get a chance to try the lower tower yesterday, but I did run with longer Grippas on the rear shocks. The change is quite subtle, but definitely for the best. The car seemed more stable under breaking into corners, and carried speed better through the chicanes, as it seemed to have much better weight transfer; the chassis seemed to be freed up to work properly. I'll definitely be getting the lower tower to play with now.
Old 25-11-2013

hi
That's good feed back, I shall try it again on my SV2
CARB