Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 20-01-2015

Default B-MAX4 III saddles or shorty?

After a year away from competitive off-road racing, I'm preparing to get back into it again in time for the BRCA Regionals and will be buying a B-MAX4 III as my 4WD.

What's the verdict re saddles vs shorty? My winter racing is indoors on carpet and "summer" is mainly astro.

In The Pits: Yokomo R12C, Yokomo MR4-TC Custom, Yokomo MR4-TC Pro, Yokomo MR4-Rally, Tamiya Blitzer Beetle, Tamiya M05.

Driven: Race Red Fiesta ST
Old 21-01-2015

The lightweight chassis allows both. On more slippery surfaces some people want more weight in the back, thus running saddles. I personally run shorty, because we don't race on slippery surfaces around here and it gives me enough runtime.

Balance of the car is good with each layout.
Old 21-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I run alot of slippy tracks and so prefer the additional weight of the saddle car. weight bias / balance between the two layouts is the same, just a 200-300g saving in weight.
sounds like you are running high grip so in theory go for the shorty setup.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 21-01-2015

What Neil said, in theory.

I also bought the LW chassis kit though not sure if I'll ever get around to converting, probably should try since I have 2 shorties. I was also told shorties less important in mod, but flies better prob due to less weight which makes sense.

All reasonable answers.
Old 21-01-2015

That matches with my thoughts - shorty was the way I was leaning towards. And that configuration would also allow me to position any additional weight where I want it in the car, rather than it being there in a default position via the saddles.

What's the standard weight of the car (ready to run) with saddles / shorty? I know there'll be some variation depending on the specific equipment installed, but just want to get a guide.

My intention is to run the B-MAX4 III in 4WD and YZ-2 in 2WD, and share LiPos across each rather than having to run shorty in one and saddles in the other.

In The Pits: Yokomo R12C, Yokomo MR4-TC Custom, Yokomo MR4-TC Pro, Yokomo MR4-Rally, Tamiya Blitzer Beetle, Tamiya M05.

Driven: Race Red Fiesta ST