Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-07-2014

Default Cheapest way to buld an "acceptable" rostrum

So I've seen the thread on the best rostrum construction now I need to Ideas on how to build the cheapest / as close to free rostrum as possible.

Were just about ready to open as a new RC club based in north Devon but the one thing we have yet to sort out is an "Acceptable" rostrum.

Here is what we have now

Currently we only have an old aluminium tower scaffold that can hold a maximum of 6 people over 2 different level which is far from ideal!!

We have a small 7m x 5m marquee for race control so it really only needs to be for standing on.

Thoughts people?
Old 07-07-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

I would first look at whether your looking at a permanent or temporary structure, and, to cover yours and the clubs backsides, what H&S regulations you will have to follow, i.e. guard rail, height etc.
Old 07-07-2014

Hi DCM,

Have looked at H&S regs regarding hand rails and access etc.
Regarding permanent/temporary until we have funds for one of the above this will be a temporary structure just to get us going.

Options we've looked at (but are all to expensive) are - container / mobile works hut, Scaffold, timber and pallet racking.

I was wondering if any of the clubs out there have worked out any free/recycled options out there?
Old 07-07-2014

You could try approaching a scaffolding firm to see if they will donate a rostrum out of scaffolding and erect/certify it, otherwise unless you can get a donation of materials it will cost you.

One point to consider is removable access which then stops the claim if some little chav climbs up and falls off.
Old 07-07-2014

Go for the scaffolding option...it's usually possible to obtain secondhand, donations from local firms etc...it allows you to build something reasonable now and then extend,higher, wider later.. Just get proper advice when building it.
We did that, back in the day, then rebuilt it over a container and roofed it a couple of years later..when we could afford it...
Old 07-07-2014

I'll certainly speak to some scaffolding companies but I'm surprised they've gone for that before? I assume you offered to have some advertising up for them?

DCM - don't expect Chav's will be a major issue as the track is on rural private property a little way (about 10 miles) outside of town. but cheers for the thought
Old 08-07-2014

Don't forget sponsoring and advertising is a tax write off, so a scaffolding company can use older scaffolding to build your rostrum and then, by putting a banner up it is advertising which comes directly off the companies tax bill, if the guy has his head screwed on, his tax write-off will be far more than the cost, so making him money in regard to a company dividend which he will pay less tax on.