Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 22-01-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple
Default *Stub Me Out* - Smoking Cessation with Brian Shardlow.

Around 21% of adults in Britain smoke, and I suspect that some of those access this forum (I don't have any such statistics to hand though, so this is merely guesswork). Anyway, just on the off chance that this is the case, I'm here to plant some smoking cessation seeds in your minds.

Statistically (can't remember where from, sorry) 74% of people who smoke want to quit.

Briefly, the health benefits from quitting start pretty much straight away. BP and pulse return to normal, circulation improves (this includes circulation to man pieces ), Oxygen levels return to normal.
And of course the result is you have more money to spend on racing, you smell nicer, and should be less likely to become stressed out and flap on the rostrum.

Quitting smoking also helps to 'break the cycle' and should help to reduce the number of young people taking up the habit.

Anyway, I don't for a moment doubt how difficult it must be to firstly make the decision to quit, and secondly to pursue it. I have a great admiration for anyone who tries, and especially who succeeds. One such quitter is our in-house Brian Shardlow, who has agreed to share his story with us and hopefully influence and advise any potential additions to the smoke-free club.

There are loads of resources out there and tons of support available to help people who wish to stop smoking.
Of course; http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

I'd suggest using this thread as a helpful community environment for support with your effort, but seeking professional help from your GP surgery is probably always the best start.

Good luck

Old 23-01-2011

I had been wanting to give up for a long time,I promised my wife I would give up as soon as my little one was born. She is 20 months now...... I got in touch with the GP's surgery and after a discussion with a nurse we decided on a course of "champix".

Today is day 70 and I am feeling great. I am so glad i've done it, And I don't actually want one any more, I don't wake up coughing in the middle of the night anymore. I don't reek all the time, I don't have to go out the back in the rain / snow / cold anymore.My body is actually feeling healthyish!

And on top of that there are the financial benefits, The money for fags got put in a jar and in 10 weeks I had enough to buy an X6 complete kit and some hop-up's and some spares too.

I really wish I had done this a long long time ago. I will definately recommend "champix" as long as you meet the "not a depressed psychotic killer test" as there can be some rare side effects.

I have some feedback from trades done a while ago.
Trader Feedback

Last edited by jaxx; 23-01-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: to correct ytpo's.........
Old 27-01-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Congratulations jaxx
have you completed the course of champix? I don't know much about how it works, but have friends who have successfully quit on that treatment.

Good luck with staying off the smokes...

Old 05-02-2011

Thanks for the thanks, The champix and I didnt see eye to eye, I liked it... It didn't like me. I had quite a few minor side effects with it. I only had 1 mouth ulcer, It started back left and went all the way round to back right OOh that smarts. Constantly heavily bleeding gums for 3-4 days. My mate at work has done the champix and he's been crying in the morning for two weeks now!, Thank god I looked like I'd done a round with Mike Tyson.

I have jested about my experience with champix, My wife is a fully trained A&E Nurse and works in swindon, When she's not off being pregnant..... so Help from a Doctor if needed was never far away.

Still recommend it though.

I have some feedback from trades done a while ago.
Trader Feedback
Old 05-02-2011

Quit 3 days ago. Started when i was 13....
I must admit the best thing to use is 'the easy way to quit smoking' by Allen Carr. - http://allencarr.com/central/
No side effects and you end up understanding why you smoke.

Clears up a lot of myths around nicotine replacment therapy, which i have tried in the past, the reason that method takes will power is it doesnt remove the craving in the first place.

And by the way the chemical addiction is gone after 48hrs after that your clear, yep 2 days down the line you have quit.

Good luck!

X4TE
X2C

Last edited by pro4nut; 05-02-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling and web link
Old 13-02-2011
Mad Member

this is a fantastic thread i'v quit smoking three times over the last 10 years.
the first time i stopped for 18 months and i thought i'd cracked it, but one thing that always starts me off again is the fact that i'm bloody terrified of flying so every time we go on holiday i tell myself that i'll just have a couple to calm my nerves, but i end up smoking again.
well the last time i managed to quit there were two factors one my health,and two the most important i want to beable to see my kids grow up, and i felt so guilty when my kids would see me smoking.
i think i did it the most difficult way possible, and that was will power, but god it was tough, and still is, but i'm getting there one day at a time.
the most important thing i needed and relyed on was the support of my family.
next month (march) will be 3 years (the longest i have ever gone without a cig) , but i still feel that anyone who gives it a go should be encouraged as much as possible so if this thread helps just a few to quit its well worth its place on here.
when i was smoking i felt so unfit, but three years on i'v started cycling again after years off my bike, and i have done 5 sportive cycle rides ranging from 35 miles to the lattest one that i have just signed up for is a 70 mile ride 1 weekend, and a 104 mile ride the very next weekend what the hell have i let myself in for

al the people that are thinking about quitting just get some advice, and go for it.
keep up the great work this is a great idea
Old 14-02-2011

another way to encourage yourself to stop smoking is to decide to put the money you would use to buy cigarettes towards something, like a new rc for example. that way you have even more encouragement
dnx408
Hyper 7-e
losi 8ight-t brushless converted
Robitronic avid 2
MY feedback
Old 23-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo madnesss View Post
another way to encourage yourself to stop smoking is to decide to put the money you would use to buy cigarettes towards something, like a new rc for example. that way you have even more encouragement
Might try that!
Gave up for 5 years then started D'oh!
Wife gave up and thinks I did as well! Smoking is costing me a fortune in strong mints!

Seriously Going to give it another go this saturday.

Going cold turkey this time.
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Day 7 now, coincidentely the same day I decided to stop eating crap food and to start a "get really fit" thing...and stopped biting my nails (done so all my 31 years near enough).

Nothing like a "stop 4 things at once" challenge to keep the will power levels tested

Ive smoked since I was 14, thought it was cool and trendy when I was younger but as I got more and more unfit and my lungs got more and more ruined I realised how much I hated smoking..I just couldnt battle my way off the nicotene. From 17 till about 28 I was easily on 15 a day, if not more depending on the situation.

For some reason something clicked last Sunday and I just felt that inside I was ready to stop, so last Monday I did so.

I read this web page after some Googling: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html
It was very helpful as it basically told me everything thing I was going to go through and explained what was happening mentaqlly, chemically and physically.
As I sat at home clawing at the walls for the first 3 days at least in my head I knew why certain things were happening thanks to the website.

Im not the preaching sort, we all have our ways of going about things, but for me I cant do patches and gums and all that. Cold turkey and get rid of all the nicotene from my system as fast as I can.

The hardest thing at the moment, but also the best thing is that although my parents think I gave up smoking 2 years ago, they arent aware that I did start again quite soon after, and I cant be doing with all that hassle and grief. On the plus side because I cant go shouting about giving up all over Facebook (makes a change!!) and everywhere that family members might read it means I am not constantly reminded of it. On the minus side, the only support I have is myself. This is me giving up, no one else, no one helping me along and holding my hand. 100% me.

I was worried about the whole "putting loads of weight on" thing. I cant really afford to put anymore on lol, so if I do get the munchies I busy myself with things; walking, eating salad, drinking tonnes of pints of water. Thankfully due to the healthy eating lark I have also started there is not one single bad food item in my house anymore so even if I did want to stuff rubbish food down my throat to counter the lack of fags I couldnt

Smoking is the devil, I hate smoking, it isnt cool, and it should be banned forever, but thats just my opinion...even with 14 years of smoking under my belt.

Good luck to anyone who decides to stop. Just make sure that your head and heart agree that its the right time. I couldnt stop smoking if someone made me, my mind/soul/etc wouldnt be ready for that. I just woke up last weekend and knew that I was ready to do it and I have put 110% into keeping at it.

The only disadvantage is that my asthma is now 1000 times worse and I had a scary asthma attack yesterday morning which is still making me struggle to breathe 24 hours later. Doctors can sort that out for me tomorrow though.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 30-08-2011

keep at it, it will be worth it, I smoked for about ten years and to be honest never really wanted to give up.

Then just decided to quit for my health and my family.

It's now been 11 years and 5 months + since I last had one.

didn't think I would ever be able to say that
Old 30-08-2011
Mad Member

Anyone thinking about giving up then I would highly recommend reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-.../dp/0140277633

I know it's only a book but it does make you think differently.

Just over 10 weeks for me now, no gum or patches etc just will power.
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

11.5 years, wow!
Do you still think about fags? And if so, do you ever think that you could lapse?

Im quite lucky that the get fit trip is keeping my brain busy and actually giving me little time to think about smoking. I do occassionally crave, but not as badly as day 2. Day 2 was a killer but from reading the page I linked to I knew what to expect and why it was happening which was really helpful!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 30-08-2011

to be honest the only time is maybe when having a pint, but that is very rare, and the rest of the time don't ever think about it.

I managed to just give up, never lapsed, no patches or anything, just a very understanding wife and kids for the first couple of weeks, after that only really bothered me when going out to the pub or clubbing it
Old 10-09-2011

People should leave this habit to smoke they don't know how much harmful for health.
Old 10-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Started smoking at 13 gave up at 21 when I met the wife 30 years ago as she did,nt like it. Wish I'd given her up instead.
Old 10-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Started smoking at 13 gave up at 21 when I met the wife 30 years ago as she did,nt like it. Wish I'd given her up instead.
LMAO!

Old 10-09-2011
oOple Advertiser

Very interesting thread Vicky.
Excellent news for everyone that has decided to stop smoking and congrats to those that have achieved their goal.
There is only one advice I can give you all and it's a real simple one.
Give up before it gets you and then you have no choice.
It got me so i know....
Gave up 5th of October 2009 so just short of 2 years ago now.
Yes i put on weight and many do but it's worth it for sure.
Good luck to those that at least try
Old 10-09-2011

I'm now on my 9th month of non-smoking!

I started when i was 14 and i'm now 25, I knew something had to be done when I was on 30 a day at 24 years old

But now I feel Fantastic!!

Old 11-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

I know of a few members on here who smoke the pink havana.
Old 14-09-2011

Hi all,

i have battled with giving up for the last 25+ years,i have succeded a few times with some good breaks from the evil weed,but something always pushed me over the edge and i caved in and started again for one reason or another[usually stress related] but i bought an E-cig similar to these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=e+cig

it cut my tobacco intake by 1/2 over night.
Although they are very very good,i still havn`t managed to totally quit yet,but i am getting there.
Best of luck everyone who wants to stop.

BR,
S.