Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Default 22 4.0

So eveyone is now doing 2 car types dirt and carpet apart from tlr so when do we reckon they will jump on the band wagon?
Old 24-01-2017

They already do really. You can only buy a dirt version and have to buy a laydown conversion to get a carpet car.

XFactory UK : DMS Model Car Club
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
They already do really. You can only buy a dirt version and have to buy a laydown conversion to get a carpet car.
Yes but even that has now changed to a dirt laydown

I mean 2 separate cars
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

There are still the carpet laydown and the dirt laydown gearbox options (with the former being optimised for lower ride heights via the HRC front end mod and the special alloy rear hubs, the latter being run with the "kit" front end and rear hubs).

IMO the logical trend would be to try and create a modular chassis with easy to fit and inexpensive options to optimise for a variety of conditions rather than tailoring for specific track types and conditions. I think that this is broadly what Schumacher are trying to achieve with their new 2wd platform...
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
There are still the carpet laydown and the dirt laydown gearbox options (with the former being optimised for lower ride heights via the HRC front end mod and the special alloy rear hubs, the latter being run with the "kit" front end and rear hubs).

IMO the logical trend would be to try and create a modular chassis with easy to fit and inexpensive options to optimise for a variety of conditions rather than tailoring for specific track types and conditions. I think that this is broadly what Schumacher are trying to achieve with their new 2wd platform...
The first release of the laydown conversion is being discontinued though so unless you already have it your screwed
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

yeah its a shame for some folks, especially those that just run on carpet or indoor astro; I think their (TLR) reasoning is that that the dirt laydown conversion covers a wider range of track conditions than the original laydown (which is very challenging in anything but high grip conditions).

So its probably a good move overall by TLR. I've not seen the cost of the new conversion but I don't think you get the alloy rear hubs so if its the same price, its a poorer deal for the racer.

I would like to get a Dirt Laydown gearbox but they a) never seem to be in stock and b) are so expensive (similar cost to the Exotek alloy gearbox I think).
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
yeah its a shame for some folks, especially those that just run on carpet or indoor astro; I think their (TLR) reasoning is that that the dirt laydown conversion covers a wider range of track conditions than the original laydown (which is very challenging in anything but high grip conditions).

So its probably a good move overall by TLR. I've not seen the cost of the new conversion but I don't think you get the alloy rear hubs so if its the same price, its a poorer deal for the racer.

I would like to get a Dirt Laydown gearbox but they a) never seem to be in stock and b) are so expensive (similar cost to the Exotek alloy gearbox I think).
Yeah think they are the same price but with no alloy bit of a xxxx take
Old 24-01-2017

Most of the TLR team are running the dirt laydown on high grip.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Most of the TLR team are running the dirt laydown on high grip.
@Allan - the UK or US TLR team? I've seen the US guys seem to run it all the time but wasn't sure about over here...
Old 25-01-2017
oOple Advertiser

Quote:

TLR Dirt laydown gearbox conversion is £149.99, the Exotek alloy laydown gearbox is just £84.95, not really too similar.....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 25-01-2017
Mad Member

I was referring to the dirt laydown gearbox itself, not the entire conversion, think it retails for about £60? So it would be about £20 or so difference (%age wise, a not insignificant difference but in monetary terms, not much difference). In the US, the difference is even less, around $10.

My point being that with the Exotek being all alloy construction, it seems good value in comparison but I don't know really how the Exotek compares in terms of positioning vs TLR Carpet Laydown and Dirt Laydown gearboxes.

Maybe you could offer some insight Darren?
Old 25-01-2017
oOple Advertiser

If you are just comparing the gearbox cases, the Exotek also includes the motor plate, gear cover and carbon battery strap in that price too.. making it even better value.
Old 25-01-2017
Mad Member

Thanks Darren, it's more the on track performance I'm interested in - particular the Exotek vs TLR dirt laydown. Which, in your experience or opinion, performs the best in lower grip conditions?

Cheers.
Old 25-01-2017

Quote:
@Allan - the UK or US TLR team? I've seen the US guys seem to run it all the time but wasn't sure about over here...
Both teams. Ellis and Chris have been using dirt laydown on astroturf for quite a while.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 25-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Both teams. Ellis and Chris have been using dirt laydown on astroturf for quite a while.
Any ideas why?
Old 25-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Any ideas why?
They just prefer the way it handles. I've not tried it myself yet so difficult to comment.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 25-01-2017
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks Darren, it's more the on track performance I'm interested in - particular the Exotek vs TLR dirt laydown. Which, in your experience or opinion, performs the best in lower grip conditions?

Cheers.
No-one outside of the team has tried the dirt laydown yet and since the team drivers are also barred from using the Exotek version leaves no-one in the UK having tried both yet....
Old 26-01-2017
Mad Member

@Darren - Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying - much appreciated.
Old 26-01-2017
Mad Member

One way to screw over your resellers is to do things like this

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR231064

Sounds like people will be holding off buying 22 3.0 if it's due April
Old 29-01-2017
Mad Member

whats due April I must be missing something on the TLR website?

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!