Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 26-09-2017

Default Mardave Meteor evolution

Just started putting this back together again having stripped down one car of ours and then spent a little time gathering parts to rebuild it.

I sent off the original (and very tired) LWB chassis and had it replicated in carbon fibre along with the rear shock mount, the gearbox has been stripped and overhauled with a full ballrace set up, Associated shocks, added RC10 front stub-axles to allow for a wider range of front rims to be used, although the rears retain the original drive shafts and stub axles so a new set of rims has been machined (thanks dad!) to fit on to the quirky Mardave fitment method.

We have also machined an additional 3 degrees of slant on the base of the front uprights in order to tip the front-end backwards a little further, which can be seen on the last picture.

It's a very simple car.

Next points to focus on will be the front bumper, making up a rear motor guard using our original fix for this bitd (to stop the gearbox flex under heavy landings) and the addition of a home made front ARB.

Motor is a TMS Tornado 13 Double, which A) matches the red/black colour scheme of the car perfectly, and B) still revs like stink after all of these years.
Old 27-09-2017

Smile

Yes, very shiny Mr Dingle

I've been testing mine this week Handles really well, see what it's like on carpet at the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170927_001.jpg (241.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170927_005.jpg (258.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170927_008.jpg (261.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170927_011.jpg (233.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 27-09-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Cars superb on carpet.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 27-09-2017

Smile

I have to say; it's awesome out in the street and on the grass got the 12x4 wind motor with a 12 tooth pinion, and the pick up on it is great, makes me smile every time Looking forward to taking it to the club.
Old 27-09-2017
Banned

Default meteors

wow, they both look absolutely amazing. Had quite a few meteors back when they were first released, none as stunning as these. I used to love how you could buy parts stupidly cheap. I upgraded one with the gold lwb chassis, schumacher cat shocks, ballraced intermediate gear etc etc. Sadly all long gone now
Old 28-09-2017

TurboLag, that's cool and great info too. I have been out for so long I am struggling to remember any set up details. What electrics do you have in that please? Lipos with an old school motor? Have you found any suitable driveshaft replacements that will fit the Meteor set up? I have been working on lowering the standard steering set up a little so I can lower my shell down a bit.

What front wishbones do you have on there???
Old 28-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinglem View Post
TurboLag, that's cool and great info too. I have been out for so long I am struggling to remember any set up details. What electrics do you have in that please? Lipos with an old school motor? Have you found any suitable driveshaft replacements that will fit the Meteor set up? I have been working on lowering the standard steering set up a little so I can lower my shell down a bit.

What front wishbones do you have on there???

Yes, the chassis is sweet! Thanks to you for sending in your gold one to Fibre Lyte The only things Mardave on the front end are the shock towers, steering bell cranks and the body post, the rest is RC10. The front wishbones are Klein ones for the RC10. Having some luck with 55mm HPI axles and Maverick Strada dogbones. Although I've used Tamiya King Cab rear wishbones to compensate for the wider track at the front. Going to use a Novak Fusion and old school brushed motors, lipo's don't seem to be a problem will use a harness and an alarm for racing though. Yeah, had some fun with the body! The reproduction one up on ebay must have been moulded from the mk1 lwb chassis with the wider shock position at the front...
Old 28-09-2017

Yeah I guessed you'd gone for the Fibre-Lyte CF chassis I got them to make up. Really looks the part. I have used the longer Meteor front wishbones but am stressing about having no spares, same goes for my only pair of driveshafts.

The bottom of the steering posts have now been lowered a little on ours, meaning the shell can go way lower. I can't get my head around the looks of the LWB Meteor body so I have gone for an Rc10 version instead. Trimmed but still not in paint yet. Bumper and home made rear guard/motor brace are now on too.

Next up is looking at Lipo configurations. Like you I am stiçking to brushed motors and an old school ESC, but trying out Lipos with an alarm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-09-2017

Both Meteors are looking great guys!

Nice work finding an alternative solution for the supply of driveshafts, I've managed to collect a few decent sets... but this only really gives me one spare pair once I've built my 2nd car

Can I ask if your chassis' have a smooth shiny surface or does it have a matte light textured finish?
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 28-09-2017

I have a slightly different chassis to yours, the only difference being it's 5mm shorter at the rear and the 2 rear gearbox holes aren't countersunk, so it sits flush with the factory rear kick.

I never painted a body as unsymmetrical as the Meteor one lol And those steering posts do stick up just enough to get in the way. Although I'll leave the body height as it is. yeah, think I'll also leave any brushless setups well alone!
Old 29-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
I never painted a body as unsymmetrical as the Meteor one lol And those steering posts do stick up just enough to get in the way. Although I'll leave the body height as it is. yeah, think I'll also leave any brushless setups well alone!
Penguin's LWB Meteor body was moulded from a shell I donated - it was a used/trimmed but good condition shell (hence some of the vagueness around the front) that came from an 'ebay special' Meteor I brought a few years ago - that car forms much of the basis for the Meteor I built & raced (3rd O/A in 2wd at the 2016 Revival & winner in class at the Brett Davis meeting earlier this year) including its narrow front LWB chassis. The original shells weren't the most well formed when new from Mardave back in the 80s.... but in fairness given the relative cottage industry in which these cars emerged they weren't too bad & almost comparable to the shells from other similar low-volume manufacturers (e.g Schumacher, PB etc)

With reference to the chassis, it is my suspicion that Fibrelyte have used the mould that I supplied to them for forming the chassis for my Masami YZ-10... I laid Formica laminate over the mould to give a slightly textured surface finish to mimic the car's original chassis. From my mould Fibrelyte produced a kicked-up piece of carbon that they use effectively as a 'lid' when forming new chassis, to create the texture/same finish on both sides. The first YZ-10 chassis Fibrelyte made for me had a 'bagged' finish (filled bags are laid on top to provide pressure whilst the carbon cures) - The original Meteor chassis that Martin provided, I'm guessing, would have mostly been used to draw the chassis outline.
Old 29-09-2017

Hi
I have a complete Meteor (early) and another (later) in parts languishing my loft, along with a few Apaches, etc.
Both are short wishbones and chassis.
If I remember properly, it seems that the rear hubs on the later one do not have bearings and solid upper links. Is this correct?
Have machined the intermediate gear so it is ballraced.

Over winter I will try and find some time to rebuild one up properly. I would like to fit the longer wishbones but they are hard to come by.
If someone could measure theirs up I could have a go at 3D printing some.

Cheers
Anthony
Old 30-09-2017

Latest update - motor brace/heatsink has now been fabricated and fitted, based largely around the arrangement we fabricate on our original car back in '87.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 30-09-2017

And now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 30-09-2017

Drilled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 30-09-2017

Getting there now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-10-2017

That is fantastic!

Great to see the Meteor is still getting some love after all these years.
Old 01-10-2017

Thanks mate, few more details to complete then get it going and see how it actually performs! Front arb coming next.
Old 02-10-2017

Loving that Motor mount Martin - being three sided it gives optimum support for the motor - mine was made as a simple 'L' shape (like the original 'Halliday' one was) - which under heavy landings off these modern big ramps had a tendency to bend, twisting the plastic gearbox housing in the process .... a wedge of Lego beneath the motor solved the issue, but its a bit of a bodge Lol!
Old 07-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinglem View Post
Thanks mate, few more details to complete then get it going and see how it actually performs! Front arb coming next.
I'm sure it's going to go like s*** off a shovel.

My poor Meteor will never end up like this because I'm going for absolutely box stock with mine.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to get hold of another one, but it's not an easy car to find here in the States.
If I do get another one, I'm definitely going to do something like this.

It's very interesting how our approaches differ - you are modifying your original car with all the upgrades you dreamed of when you were racing it.

I'm putting together the car that I dreamed of owning when I was younger but never managed to get.

Either way, there's magic in these old Mardaves